5 Seconds of Summer - 5SOS5 | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

5 Seconds of Summer - 5SOS5

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Smooth Criminal, May 4, 2014.

1. I don't get why there's been a bit of a furore around that interview. The bit causing the most upset seems to be that they've slept with some fans. They are four young lads touring the world, you'd be naive to think they weren't doing that!

2. Honestly, the worst quote was:

That's just... rude, right?

ohnostalgia likes this.
  3. No one's naive enough to think that these bands aren't sleeping with fans. I'm sure every single one of 1D has done it.

What's getting people annoyed is the absolutely laughable attempt to paint themselves as edgy, or "rock n roll". It's just tacky to bring this up in an interview. Like sis you're a wannabe pop punk band that's primary demographic is feaux rebellious teenage girls who think the world is out to get them. They can't even touch Simple Plan or Blink 182 so children have several seats.

4. Lol, they were?! This makes it even better. The lack of self-awareness is terrifying - which makes sense given that they're BFFs with Halsey.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. Pop punk is the worst genre of all time.

6. KAG

KAG

I feel sorry for Michael though. I don't think I've ever seen a young popstar speak so candidly about their depression, especially while they're still at their peak. The other boys come across terribly in that interview.

7. It is having a bit of a comeback. I've actually heard of BRITISH pop punk bands doing well. Weird.

8. Bite your tongue. I cannot handle another mid 2000s era of emo/punk-pop again. I hated it then as a 10 y/o and I'd despise it now.

9. I use 'She's Kinda Hot' and 'Jet Black Heart' from the last album a lot. Nothing from the rest of it has really clicked.

10. They come off as obnoxious in their wannabe-bad boy posturing in that article, but considering their very loyal fanbase I wonder how much of it was planned and how of it was the interview trying to paint them in that light and them walking right into that trap. Michael seemed to be pretty taken aback by that Bieber statement making it into the article on Twitter at least.

Then again, as mentioned, they're already starting to decline commercially despite getting a really massive campaign for this album. Their label must've expected them to really explode with this campaign, they are/were being treated like superstars in the press for little reason, and it hasn't quite worked out so I guess it's possible this is a deliberate (and laughable) effort to shed their kiddy fanbase and get to the cool kids' table.

Anyway, they've always suffered from a bad case of wanting their cake and eating it too - being made big though a boyband, being marketed like a boyband, BUTDONTCALLUSABOYBAND!!!

(ps I still would. In order: Calum, Luke, Ashton, Michael)

11. They should be taking notes from Bieber on that, ironically enough.

12. They are gross.

Mr.Arroz, Andy French and popzone like this.
  13. They're stuck in a strange limbo because they are a boyband, but they want to be highly regarded by the Kerrang readership...whose favourite bands are all boybands, though you couldn't say that to them because they don't like pop music or manufactured bands etc. Twenty One Pilots, a rather good pop group, are essentially a boyband with makeup. All Time Low. You Me At Six. Asking Alexandria. Don Broco. PVRIS. Good Charlotte. Paramore. All pop groups and I say that in a complimentary way. They just happen to look a bit different to the likes of One Direction and JLS, but with a bit of 'rebellion' thrown into the mix. Headlines such as "The police can't stop us performing our house parties!" "We're fighting against normal people!" "We're weirdoes and proud of it!" "We'll never fit in!" are mandatory for them. Babymetal are out and out pop music with a bit of compressed loud heavy metal guitars thrown into their songs.

Goodness, Panic At The Disco AKA Brendan Urie is a solo popstar now and he does electronic pop. He's basically a different version of Brandon Flowers, and every bit as good. Nu-Metal was pop music too.

5 Seconds Of Summer - a boyband - aren't even a good representation of those pop punk bands.

14. K94

K94

These guys are still a thing?

Mr.Arroz likes this.
  15. They will never be cool because what they do is very uncool. Grown men with shorts singing about farts and hot girls or whatever...no, it isn't to be taken seriously. Blink 182 (minus Tom DeLonge who always took himself too seriously) knew that best and refuse to 'evolve' into a serious band. Well done to them I say. They are what they are.

16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Thanks for finding their thread for me, @Smooth Criminal ! Like I said in random pop thoughts, my biggest problem is this quote

"But there's one question that bothers them the most: "Are you a boy band?" They were called one just last night, at an industry party, when Hemmings was introduced to a new group. "They said, 'We're in a boy band, too,'" he says. "I was like, 'I'm walking away now.'"

"Seventy-five percent of our lives is proving we're a real band," says Irwin. "We're getting good at it now. We don't want to just be, like, for girls. We want to be for everyone. That's the great mission that we have. I'm already seeing a few male fans start to pop up, and that's cool. If the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and all those guys can do it, we can do it, too."

These guys should count themselves lucky they have ANY fans, their music is so horrible. I'm so over these negative attitudes towards teenage girls in the music industry. You can say you want to expand your audience without shitting on your current one.

17. I think it has caused upset as their words imply that girls are disposable to them.

They take themselves so seriously, for a band who would be nobodies without supporting One Direction on tour.

18. How has the Rolling Stone cover made the two actually decent looking ones look awful (Ashton and Luke).

I can understand why they said what they said - the general public and the music press are far more dismissive of acts that cater towards teenage girls than they are any other kind of act (even if that is a complete unfair position to take), it's classic snobbery, and so 5SOS will never get as respected as they feel they deserve for as long as they are perceived to target that audience.

19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

It's pretty disingenuous for the band to then go on twitter and chastise Rolling Stone for not talking about how they're here for the fans, @Lost In Japan. They can't have it both ways.

One Direction got a four star review in Rolling Stone for a terrible album (Made in the A.M). It's not impossible to be taken seriously with a core fanbase of teen girls.

20. I have never understood the mediocre looks of most boy-band members, going back to the Backstreet Boys and 'N Sync. Is it done intentionally to allow for one or two breakout stars?

MarlonBrando86 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.