5 Seconds of Summer - CALM (4th Album) | The Popjustice Forum

5 Seconds of Summer - CALM (4th Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Smooth Criminal, May 4, 2014.

1. I can't believe there's not a thread on this band yet. 'She Looks So Perfect' has an impeccable chorus, and really takes me back to the early 00s, when there was so much feel-good punk-pop on the radio. I think they're pretty cute too. I'm excited to see what they follow it up with, because as far as I'm concerned, this is one of my favourite pop tracks of the year.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  2. BOY

BOY

The lead singer is beautiful. She Looks So Perfect is pretty good, I don't have much interest in them as a band though.

3. Apparently they're following it up with this:

[VIDEO=youtube;kKxLq3fAkVM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKxLq3fAkVM[/VIDEO]

Sounds amazing, and I really want the studio version already.

4. It's amazing how they've reinvented themselves now that they're on a major label. They were basically peddling around "been there, done that" punk music and now they're this surprisingly great pop band. They're music reminds me of Avril in her heyday so much.

5. When did we start letting scene kids exist in society again?

James2009 likes this.
  6. Smooth Criminal, I consider you a kindred spirit around these parts because of our mutual interest in Paula Abdul and pop-punk (what an odd combination), but this just isn't doing it for me. The song on its own is fine enough, but they as a band just feel hollow at this point. Where is their sense of spirit and attitude?

I don't know. Watching that video just made me feel old. I'll try giving them another shot later when their album comes out and see if maybe this video was just a fluke.

7. I listened to a couple of other tracks on the 'She Looks So Perfect' EP, and they did absolutely nothing for me. They were really forgettable, but then again, if they are intended to just be B-Sides (rather than tracks for an eventual album), I guess I can excuse that.

8. The EP isn't up to much. Heartache On The Big Screen is a mess and relies to heavily on the riff, and Disconnected is like The 1975 but without any of the charm. The Only Reason sounds like an Under My Skin bonus track though, so I'll take that.

9. My 15 year old sister is obsessed with this band. She feels edgy because this is 'rock' music...........

They're dominating the radio hard though. Good on em!

10. This is music for tweens, but 5 Seconds of Summer might somehow act as a 'gateway' band and allow these tweens to get into other guitar bands. It doesn't help that 5 Seconds vaugely resemble weird perma-smirked garden gnomes. But they'll be huge.

11. The new single wouldn't sound out of place on a One Direction album. I like it, but it's a bit vanilla.

12. Their first single is so good. I doubt they will be getting that big but their music is nice. They were the support act of One Direction, weren't they?

13. I love both singles, they seem to be quite a good new band!

14. 'She Looks So Perfect' is fucking terrible.

15. Why do both of their lyric videos not even feature all of the lyrics?!

The new one is not as good as She Looks So Perfect but it's still pretty good, and I'm loving the guitar-boyband revival SO MUCH.

16. I decidedly am not. They all feel so neutered. At least when I listen to One Direction, I know that the overly-saccharine-with-no-edge feel of it all is very much intended. These bands just bring out my inner cynic.

17. I don't think there has ever been an all-male pop band in the past two decades who has ever had any real 'edge' though.

18. The second single is better than the first single simply because it doesn't have that godawful American Apparel underwear line in it.

That said, it'd be better either way. That intro is everything.

19. They got Dazeemed hard by M̶i̶s̶s̶ ̶T̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶S̶o̶u̶t̶h̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶o̶l̶i̶n̶a̶ Kendall Jenner at the Billboard Awards:

[video=youtube;s-LotzpIC2U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-LotzpIC2U[/video]

"Their debut on the Billboard 200 Number 2 this summer and NOW we welcome...One...guys I'm the worst reader. Um. [laughs] THEY'RE ONLY GETTING BIGGER TAKE A LOOK!"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.