54: The Director's Cut | The Popjustice Forum

54: The Director's Cut

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by torontodj, Jun 7, 2016.

1. The director's cut of the 1998 film, 54, has finally been released on DVD/Blu-ray in North America (not sure about the UK).

I remember seeing the theatrical version in 1998 and being so disappointed. The club remake of "If You Could Read My Mind" by Ultra Nate, Amber and Jocelyn Enriquez was being played in clubs EVERYWHERE and the two volumes of CD soundtracks were perfect disco compilations. So, the film seemed like a can't miss opportunity to give an insight into the world of 54.

Instead, what we got was a watered-down, bland look into 54 - sexless, joyless, dull, and very little queer content. Apparently Miramax insisted on cuts and a huge chunk of the film was taken out and there were the always-dreaded reshoots. Ryan Phillippe's character changed from bisexual to straight and complete subplots were dropped.

The newly restored director's cut is like watching a completely different film. It's sexier, dirtier, sleazier and definitely more entertaining. It really captures the initial excitement of 54 and what made it so intoxicating. But it's also a much darker version than the 1998 theatrical version. The subplot "triangle" between Phillippe, Salma Hayek and Breckin Meyer is restored (Phillippe and Meyer have strong chemistry). Mike Myers' performance remains brilliant (and added scenes give it even more weight, as well as Phillippe's performance, which is much stronger in this version).

Director Mark Christopher was allowed to reconstruct the film. Some of the footage is grainy but overall it looks great. It feels like a completely different film - and a completely new film. Watching the film, I forgot this was shot in 1998 and, when Phillippe's character is looking out at the NYC skyline, it was a bit unsettling to see the Twin Towers and realize they were not CGI'd in.

I highly recommend watching this director's cut. I never thought we would get to see it but it was worth the wait.

LightYears and Andrew like this.
  2. Thank you for the heads-up. Gonna have to settle for the DVD because Lionsgate blurays are coded for A region only.

torontodj likes this.
  3. I'll wait for the YouTube video clips of Ryan's gay scenes.

4. I remember getting this on DVD back in the day because it didn't get much of a UK release. The advertising made it look like a Mike Myers or Neve Campbell film, but the cut I saw was a shitty Ryan Philippe vehicle that cut away or drew back anytime anything interesting was going to happen. If this version is as sleazy as you say it is, the film may finally be worth watching.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.