90s Top 10 Sales- Week By Week- 1990-1991 | The Popjustice Forum

90s Top 10 Sales- Week By Week- 1990-1991

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Jan 29, 2018.

1. [​IMG]

Yes it's back, the title says it all, a thread designed to "best guess" the sales week by week for 1990. We'll count down all the sounds of the year and hopefully generate a few "almost forgotten gems" along the way. As always thanks go to MFR, Vas tariner, Youtube, Wikipedia, MW, popscene, James Masterton, Discogs, and a few other sources who have helped over the years. Here's the links to to the final 80s threads if you want to catch up.

http://forum.popjustice.com/threads/80s-top-10-sales-week-by-week-1988-1989.60497/

In doing this I've tried to take into account TOTP performances and other factors which may have effected sales and chart positions throughout the decade.

The Internet can't tell me everything so I'm relying on the Popjustice oldies to throw in some pertinent facts that I may be unaware of (I was only 13 when the decade began) and to discuss the tracks. The format will be the same every week with TOTP performances where available for those songs new to the top 10. So sit back and enjoy every top 10 hit of the 90s (eventually). Before Easter arrives we'll see that nothing compares to....

[​IMG]

2. OK My old exercise book for 1990 is poised to fill in the sales numbers for the top ten each week.....I'm guessing we'll pick up where we left off with one of the lowest ever sales figure for a Number One single...I'm afraid I won't be posting the "Peakers" outside the top ten each week - I'm an 80's kid at heart. Talking of which, I'll give a shout out to the Retro crew:

@Eric Generic @phoenix123 @Ironheade @cityofdoomsday et al....

3. ohmygodohmygodohmygod soooooo excited!

2014, gezza76 and Hairycub1969 like this.
  4. So is this similar to the interactive Pop Justice Retro-chart thread where we post our charts every week, or just a recap of the top 10 hits of the 90's?

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  5. The latter...

londonrain and cityofdoomsday like this.
  6. Starting tomorrow- I think......

Hairycub1969 and phoenix123 like this.
  7. BRING ON 1990!

[​IMG]

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  8. 13TH JANUARY

[​IMG]

It’s a new year, a new decade, and we have a new No 1 single to celebrate. New Kids On The Block confirm their position as the newest teen heart throbs in the charts with the re-issued “Hangin Tough” springing 9-1 this week just 6 weeks after their previous single “You Got It (The Right Stuff)” vacated the top slot, the shortest gap between chart toppers by the same act since John Lennon 9 years ago. That’s the good news, sadly its move to the top is accompanied by a sale of 28,500, that’s the lowest tally since BMRB took over compilation of the charts in 1969, the parent album of the same name (which serves as their debut UK release) lifts 8-6 in recognition of the fact that it now holds two UK chart toppers, that’s a new peak for it.

[​IMG]

More Italo house for you up next, Vocalist Ann-Marie Smith was the 49th vocalist to audition for the group and gave them their name though it should be noted that Dawn Mitchell has been recruited to front the group and thusly appears in the video for the 49ers. “Touch Me” features two samples, Alysha’s Warren’s “Touch Me” and Aretha Franklin’s “Rock-A-Lott” which have been meshed together to give us “Touch Me” which accelerates 23-6 (21,200) now that the Christmas period has passed. The project is the brain child of Gianfranco Bortolotti the man behind Capella who scored a No 11 hit last year with “Helyom Halib”.

[​IMG]

Swedish producers Robert Wåtz and Rasmus Lindwall first spotted singer Laila El Khalifi in a singing competition in 1988 and decided to work with her, abbreviations all around happened as they became Rob N Raz Featuring Leila K and “Got To Get” became a European hit at the end of 1989. It’s certainly taken its time here as it’s moved 57-32-14-13-14-11-11 since its November release to finally enter the upper reaches as it hits No 8 (19,700).

[​IMG]

Meanwhile it’s relief all round for Sonia whose third single “Listen To Your Heart” puts her back on track after last single “Can’t Forget You”’s underperformance. The latter track only made No 22 after the chart topping “You’ll Never Stop Me Loving You” in the summer, she now climbs 20-10 (18,800). The video features some neat moves from fellow S/A/W produced act Big Fun which seems to be helping her, expect that debut album in Spring apparently.

Elsewhere it’s tough on Jason Donovan who led for most of the week with “When You Come Back To Me”, its chances were scuppered by TOTP giving it no air time, and now the prospect of it topping the charts must be behind it as it trailed in with 26,000 sales marking its third week in the runner up spot. S/A/W still have 2 of the top 5 records, last week’s chart topper from Band Aid slumps 1-4 (23,500) losing 60% saleswise week on week and at that rate it will be lucky to be top 20 next week however it is now the 33rd week in a three year period where PWL/SAW have helmed at least two of the top 5 singles in a week. In between them are two non movers who both lose sales as well, Soul II Soul at No 3 (24,000) and Madonna at No 5 (21,900), De La Soul improve 8-7 (20,400) and Kaoma dip 7-9 (19,600).

Top 10 in pics

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    DominoDancing, 2014, Zarjazz and 3 others like this.
  9. This is now fully in my maximum single buying period, so Im going to enjoy this thread!

phoenix123 and Hairycub1969 like this.
  10. Yes I bought half this top ten at the time (Jason, Band Aid, Madonna, Rob N Raz and Sonia).

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  11. For some reason I only have 4 of them (Jason, Soul II Soul, Sonia, and Band Aid II).

Sonia naturally rocks for the b-side

12. Is @Hairycub1969 going to give us each week's new entries like the 80s threads?

I don't think I ever considered listening to a Sonia B-side!

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  13. Sorry the music changed for me on 31st December 1989 - that's when I switched over to BBC Radio Four!

ohnoitisnathan and Rooneyboy like this.
  14. Silver Bullet and his 'Robocop' influenced single is at Number 11...

15. Deacon Blue have a seasonal hit at 21...

16. Fish goes it alone again at 25...

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  17. 20TH JANUARY

[​IMG]

For a second week in a row a S/A/W production led midweek flashes and for a second week in a row that track just missed out on the money, more on that in a minute. What that also means is that New Kids On The Block fought back again with “Hangin Tough” and overcame stiff competition, it improved saleswise to 45,000 and it certainly needed to in order to keep pole position. In total the boys have spent 5 weeks at No 1 in the last 2 months and in three of those weeks they had to come from behind. Incidentally their album bounds 6-2 to reach a new peak with only Phil Collins “But Seriously” now ahead of it.

[​IMG]

This week the challenger was predictably the new Kylie Minogue single “Tears On My Pillow”, a cover of 1958 Little Anthony & The Imperials No 4 US hit which failed to chart here. It features not only on Minogue’s last album “Enjoy Yourself” but also on the soundtrack to her first feature film “The Delinquents” which opened here on Boxing Day to moderate success. It’s Kylie’s 9th single and a ninth top 5 hit to boot as it debuts at No 2 with sales of 35,000, the album has spent its first 14 weeks in the top 6 amassing sales of 900,000 so far!

[​IMG]

Consisting of a varied line up but always with Kurtis Mantronix at the helm, the group that bears his surname arrive 12-4 (31,000) this week with “Got To Have Your Love” which features Wondress Hutchinson on vocals. The outfit have been influential in dance circles since their 1985 debut and hit a previous best with “Bassline” a No 34 hit in 1986.

[​IMG]

Finally braving it truly alone, Jimmy Somerville’s new single “You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)” is obviously a cover of the Sylvester classic from 1978 which turned into a gay disco classic. Here it’s been remade by the former Bronski Beat/ Communards frontman who is rewarded with a move 24-5 (26,000) surpassing the No 8 peak of the original, his debut solo album “Read My Lips” has struggling in the Christmas slog moving 62-50 this week to mark a new high.

[​IMG]

Dancin Danny D is back under the D Mob moniker with a new featured artist (Nuff Juice) and a fourth single in the form of “Put Your Hands Together”, their last single “C’Mon And Get My Love” became their first failure peaking at Just No 15 though a sizeable club hit. This time around they’ve slung in a bit of the O’Jays 1983 track “Put Our Heads Together” to come up with a hit to return them to favour moving 16-7 (21,000).

[​IMG]

Featuring the now ubiquitous “Yeah! Woo!” drum loop borrowed from James Brown, another Italo House track makes the UK top 10, and yes it’s a cover again this time by the FPI Project who have taken Lamont Dozier’s “Going Back To My Roots” and revamped it for the 90s. The song was finally a hit in the UK in 1981 for Odyssey (No 4) but this version takes its que from Richie Havens 1980 version with a slicing of Honesty 69’s club hit “Rich In Paradise” and T99’s “Too Nice To Be Real” and it’s another song that has been floating around since pre Christmas making slow progress 48-40-30-28-25-14 selling 16,800 in its latest frame to climb to No 10.

The 49’ers progress nicely 6-3 (32,000) but the festivities are truly over for Soul II Soul who slip 3-6 (22,000), Rob N Raz hold at No 8 (19,000) and Jason Donovan dives 2-9 (17,000).

Top 10 in pics

18. 17,000 to make the top ten. Wow.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  19. The Mission fall short of the Top 10 again at 12...

20. Neneh Cherry is at 31...

2014 and Hairycub1969 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.