92 Eurohits That Missed Here- 90s Edition | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

92 Eurohits That Missed Here- 90s Edition

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Apr 7, 2018.

1. NO COKE- DR ALBAN

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: N/A
    EUROPEAK: 4 (MAY 91)

Like MC Sar & The Real McCoy, Dr Alban was registering major hits in Europe years before the UK finally succumbed, his debut “Hello Afrika” narrowly missed out on this thread but follow up “No Coke” wouldn’t be denied. It made No 1 in Sweden and top 10 in 6 other Euro countries though whether it prevented drug use is debatable.

2. This Dr Alban did the preselection in Sweden for Eurovision in 2014 with a song produced by Kleerup!

3. This is a jam and it's amazing.

(As is that one really Vengaboys-sounding remix from when they tried to revive it circa the turn of the century!)

4. ONE MORE TRY- TIMMY T

[​IMG]

EUROPEAK: 4 (MAY 91)

US No 1 time with this ballad which tanked here (No 97 to be exact) but a sizeable with our neighbours even making No 2 in Holland. Timmy wrote it himself after a real life breakup- aww, however just two albums in and his career was over as he retired back into relative obscurity as a regional US DJ.

5. FADING LIKE A FLOWER- ROXETTE

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 12
    EUROPEAK: 5 (JUN 91)

A top 10 single virtually all over Europe we were in the minority to deprive it of top league billing. A lovely promo set in Stockholm helped it to No 5 in their native Sweden, and a remix of it in 2005 charted in the UK at No.18.

6. CALLING ELVIS- DIRE STRAITS

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 21
    EUROPEAK: 2 (SEP 91)

So your last studio album sold over 3 million copies and was the biggest selling album of the decade- how do you follow that up? This was Dire Straits answer, a promo from Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson gave us something usual to mark their return after a 5 year wait ( a GH album aside) but the UK was singularly unimpressed as it bombed at No 21, but it made a big splash in 11 Euro territories where it went top 10- so maybe we got it wrong?

iheartpoptarts and Riiiiiiiii like this.
  7. Nick Kamen's I Promised Myself is a brilliant pop song and should have returned him to the hit parade in the UK, I liked the trance remix that came out in the early 00s too. Covers from Basshunter and A*Teens are good too.

iheartpoptarts and Conan like this.
  8. Also check José Galisteo

idratherjack likes this.
  9. Further proof that this is an amazing song in anyone's hands!

10. Some thoughts about the songs so far.
    - I see that Sydney Youngblood is a Haddaway predecessor in terms of pectoral exposure.
    - I remember Policy Of Truth being used in some car commercial circa 1990
    - I have soft spot for Gianna Nannini's tunes, especially Bello E Impossibile and Voglio Fare L'Amore. Not so keen on Un Estate Italiana though.
    - Isn't It's On You a Technotronic original? I remember some seventh-grade girls winning a dance contest in my school with a routine of this song when I was in sixth grade. (The girls of my class came up in fourth).
    - Never heard that Milli Vanilli song but then again I never delve into their repertoir beyong Girl You Know It's True and their US#1 trinity.
    - I'm not familiar with No Coke but I remember seeing that record sleeve.
    - Seriously, how did that Timmy T song got to be that successful?
    - Fading Like A Flower is up there with Roxette's finest.
    - I remember Calling Elvis being quite an international hit (as well as that live version of Your Latest Trick) and didn't know it missed the top 20 in the UK.

11. Number 97 in the UK? Too high.

londonrain and Empty Shoebox like this.
  12. Same here, I love Bello E Impossibile but Un Estate Italiana, hmmm ...

Fading Like a Flower was never my favourite from Roxette, but I really like One More Time and Calling Elvis! Wonderful songs! Great memories!

P Grandson likes this.
  13. I LOVED MC Sar & The Real McCoy - didn‘t know they had hits before Space Invaders.

That was such a great time for Eurodance. Is Pharao coming up as well?

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  14. BACARDI FEELING (SUMMER DREAMIN)- KATE YANAI

[​IMG]

EUROPEAK: 4 (OCT 91)

A Radio jingle made to promote Bacardi proved so popular that it was made into a full song and bingo a German and Austrian chart topper follows. Catherine Markowitz (to give her her proper name) is daughter of composer Richard who did the music for “Murder She Wrote” among other shows!

15. Heard this on the radio the other day. Still a great song.

Conan likes this.
  16. SOMETHING GOT ME STARTED- SIMPLY RED

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 11
    EUROPEAK: 3 (0CT 91)

Simply Red didn’t wait quite as long as Dire Straits but “Stars” still took over 4 years to make the shelves generating this song as the lead single. It surprised some by missing the top 10 here but no such worries around Europe who welcomed them back with open arms, Britain of course did invest in them preferring to buy the album which shifted over 3 million and becoming the second biggest album of the decade .

17. JAMES BROWN IS DEAD- L.A STYLE

[​IMG]

EUROPEAK: 5 (NOV 91)

A Dutch duo providing some techno to the charts- it’ll never catch on! Topping the charts in Netherlands, Belgium, and Spain and top 10 In three other countries it certainly was a hit though once again the UK remain unimpressed. They were soon eclipsed by 2 Unlimited though founder Wessel Van Diepen went on to be a key player in the success of both Alice Deejay and Vengaboys.

iheartpoptarts and Auntie Beryl like this.
  18. GOOD VIBRATIONS- MARKY MARK & THE FUNKY BUNCH

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 14
    EUROPEAK: 5 (NOV 91)

The last time Loleatta Holloway’s “Love Sensation” was used on a top 10 single it proved highly controversial as she was uncredited, at least Marky Mark had the decency to give her a full credit on his debut single. Wahlberg was helped, initially at least, by having NKOTB Donnie as a brother, and having a body that certainly attracted attention. It was a US No 1 but more importantly (for this thread) a chart topper in Switzerland and Sweden, and top 10 in 5 other Euro countries.

19. CREAM- PRINCE & NPG

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 15
    EUROPEAK: 6 (DEC 91)

Reflecting one of his more successful album campaign’s Prince pulled six top 30 hits off his “Diamonds & Pearls” including “Cream”. Written by Prince when he was standing in front of the mirror (according to wiki- there you go), this went top 10 in 7 Euro countries as well as becoming another US chart topper.

20. MYSTERIOUS WAYS- U2

[​IMG]

UK CHART POSITION: 13
    EUROPEAK: 5 (DEC 91)

U2 continued to rack up the international hits though this second release from “Achtung Baby” failed to be a big hit in the UK probably as it was released in the imminent run in to Christmas and got lost to the more festive offerings of the month. It became their 8th Irish chart topper.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.