A Drop in the Ocean: The Michelle Branch Rate (#75-74) | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

A Drop in the Ocean: The Michelle Branch Rate (#75-74)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Seventeen Days, Apr 29, 2019.

?

What is your favorite Michelle Branch album?

1. Broken Bracelet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Spirit Room

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Hotel Paper

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  4. Hopeless Romantic

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. West Coast Time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Stand Still, Look Pretty

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. Everything Comes and Goes

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Top 75 and I've lost 30% of my sevens to 20% of my fours... Everything comes and goes indeed.

berserkboi likes this.
  2. So far I haven't lost anything too crushing in this rate, but I know its coming! I lost some covers I really liked and gave high scores to, but I knew most of her covers would likely be gone quickly. We'll see if I feel so positive about how this rate is progressing once we get to the top 50.

3. I'm ok with those songs leaving now

Seventeen Days and berserkboi like this.
  4. Paper Pieces DID NOT deserve this early exit *bops to it*

Music Is Life and Seventeen Days like this.
  5. Yay impromptu break! Work was crazy busy last week, due to a big event, so it was nigh impossible to get a free moment. But I'm hoping to get this rate wrapped up by mid-October, so let's jump in. Tonight's eliminations come from a couple of albums that have already taken a beating, starting with #75....

Not Gonna Follow You Home

Average: 6.57

High Score: 9.25 (@Music Is Life)
    Low Score: 3.9 (@saviodxl)

My Score: 7.5

Yes, we’re saying goodbye to our second song in a row from the ‘Everything Comes and Goes’ era. This time, we bid goodbye to what I would say was one of my favorite tracks from this era. This track is country pop deliciousness, and I really dig Michelle’s vocals on this one - they kind of have a bit of a smoky quality in spots that work really well for me. I hope that she pulls a Taylor Swift and tries to get ahold of her masters someday (or at least re-records them), so she can try to do some kind of proper release of all of the tracks that were sent to the cutting room floor from this timeframe.

Your Thoughts

This track may have the least amount of commentary I’ve seen yet for a song…

@abael (6) - The song is well written and produced, but for some reason I’m not connecting with it, maybe the delivery by Michelle is a bit lacking.

@LKane (7) - The guitars in the intro are the best part of this song.

@rtotheh (8) - One of the best choruses Michelle’s ever done, surely? Definitely one of her biggest, chunkiest, and most enjoyable country bangers.

bitch-me-too-the-fuck.gif

6. ….y’all are monsters. But at least my favorite track from this album was the last one standing.

Washing Machine

Average: 6.67

High Scores: 10 (@imaduck)
    Low Score: 3.9 (@soratami)

My Score: 8.5

It probably looked pretty obvious when ‘Paper Pieces’ was unceremoniously booted out. But yes, our first album falls early on. In case you’re just tuning in, here’s a recap on the story of the ‘Broken Bracelet’ album:
    ‘Washing Machine’ was the first track from this album to really grab me and make me love it, and it remains my favorite track on the album to this day. Where other tracks on the album tend to suffer a bit due to the lo-fi indie quality, this track actually benefits from it. This is probably the one track on the entire album that I wouldn’t want to see get the Shanks studio polish on ‘Spirit Room’ - it was perfect as-is.

Also, here's a not-so-fun fact to close out this album's tenure: the master tapes for 'Broken Bracelet' were destroyed in the Nashville floods of 2010. So if you had any hopes of a remastered version of this album... well let's be honest, probably no one here had that hope. (except me. *sob*)

Your Thoughts

@saviodxl (4.1) - Sounds like a demo.

@rtotheh (4.5) - Very Alanis Morissette demo circa 1997. On balance the slightly less tedious song about washing machines in my 2000s iTunes (holla Mrs. Bartolozzi).

@abael (5) - A bit generic.

@Remorque (5.5) - The melody is okay and Michelle gives us a good performance, but bloody hell at that non-production though... That guitar really overpowers everything on this song and it's way too loud.

@LKane (5.8) - This song has some potential with bigger arrangements, but as an acoustic version there’s something missing I guess.

@bonnieetclyde (6) - Nice vocals and some good melodies. Overall a little forgettable.

Looks like a few of you would have liked to hear this one Shanks-ified….

@Shockbox (6) - I feel like this song had a lot of potential had it been given the 'The Spirit Room' glow-up like other tracks had.

@The Hot Rock (8) – If re-recorded, I would've loved to see this on The Spirit Room. This is on par with some of the tracks on there.

@pop3blow2 (8.3) - Love her harmony vocals so much on this album.

@Music Is Life (8.5) – I really like the guitar work on this. The tambourine is cute too.

@imaduck (10) - I would kill for a Spirit Room-era version of this song, it has all the ingredients of what makes Michelle so incredible.

7. Dang! I guess this was a bit predictable. Paper Pieces is my favourite

berserkboi and Seventeen Days like this.
  8. Waaay too harsh on Broken Bracelet, Washing Machine should've been in the Top 40.

9. Not surprised. Not upset about it though.

berserkboi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.