A Hard Rate's Night: The Beatles Rate - #46: We Are Number One, HEY! | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

A Hard Rate's Night: The Beatles Rate - #46: We Are Number One, HEY!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ironheade, May 10, 2021.

1. Oh, further to this. If you guys have any suggestions for further topics you'd like me to write about or things you want me to explain, please do let me know.

(Ironheade: Can I copy your homework? Ian MacDonald: Sure but just change it a little)

2. Revolver *is* perfect, isn't it. Even Yellow Submarine is somehow right.

3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

When I was a teenager I had chronic insomnia so I made up a lot of fictional stories in my head as I listened to music before I eventually fell asleep. She’s Leaving Home gave me some of my greatest hits dddd.

I’m so glad that we have a host like @Ironheade who doesn’t take the popular view that John wrote all the deep important songs and Paul’s work is all crap. They both wrote several stinkers, thank you very much. Also that whole narrative completely ignores poor George. In my opinion, George wrote the very best Beatles song, and I bet some of you are coming up with a few different tracks that could fit the bill.

4. Not only have you picked one of my favourite songs of Revolver to highlight here, I do agree that the album is as close to perfect as it could be. The weakest moment for me is Good Day Sunshine, and even that is very pleasant and adds to the stylistic variety of the album.
    When we get to it, I am looking forward to your write up of Tomorrow Never Knows. In case you haven't seen Mad Men, it's used quite well in one scene to signal how the main character is stuck in a pre-60s mindset.

I'd never call She's Leaving Home a personal favourite, but it has one of my favourite McCartney lyrics in "She's leaving home/After living alone/For so many years". I don't want to know how many teenagers could identify with that over the years.

5. I'm Only Sleeping would have been a top contender for my 11 if included in the rate and She's Leaving Home is an easy 10. Great write-ups Ironheade!

DominoDancing and Ironheade like this.
  6. Not even Suggs could ruin I'm Only Sleeping.

Ironheade likes this.
  7. Cute story. I was talking to my Mom about this rate last Friday (we both plan to score the songs on our annual car ride 4 hours north to camp next weekend by the way) -- and she starting getting nostalgic (she was born in 1956 and my Dad 1955). She reminded me how The Beatles were the all-time favorite band for her sister who is 6.5 years older than her. She worshipped the band and found out about a concert in New York City and begged my Nana to let her travel there to see it. (We live in Maine, which is like a 6 to 8 hour bus ride away) -- Of course my Nana said she wasn't going to finance it but told her about a food drive contest they happened to be having in Maine, the persons who collected the most donations were able to win a trip to NYC and the concert. So my aunt was motivated and apparently worked her butt off to get the most donations. She got her best friend involved and motivated her to finish second. They had both won the prize and bussed to the concert. They ended up not having the best seats in the house, so my Aunt and her friend tried to climb the barrier separating the standing area in front of the stage from the rest of the audience. A police officer notices this and headed their way and to my Aunt's surprise, actually helped them over the fence; surely realizing this was a once in a lifetime situation. So my Aunt got to see the band up close and personal!

8. Lovely story! Was this the famous Shea Stadium concert?

I've asked my own parents about any stories, but they were born in 1960 and 1961, so their recollections are relatively vague - as far as musical taste was concerned, they were children of the 70's. (Neither household even had a record player until 1970, only a radio, but they do remember what their first singles were. "Ride a White Swan" him, the Matthews Southern Comfort version of "Woodstock" her, and no LPs for a good long while because they were too expensive.) I might have to ask my grandpa if there's anything interesting he can recall at some point though!

9. I will have to ask, but looking at wikipedia real quick for their US tours, the 1964 ones are doubtful because my Aunt would've been only 14, but yeah the Shea Stadium sets in 1966, she was 16 and that seems more likely.

pop3blow2 and Ironheade like this.
  10. Beach Boys obsessive here who also really loves The Beatles. I have been feeling sadly ‘unmusical’ for personal reasons, but this rate feels like the perfect one to get me back more to myself. I’m a huge ‘Paul Is Dead’ nerd…and me my best friend spent waaaayyyyy too much time digging through their songs looking for ‘clues’ into that conspiracy in my early 20s. #mess

Anyways, I’m likely in here for this rate & will probably provide some semi-coherent pop3 commentary/ramblings that include random connections to Lewis Carroll, The Beach Boys, & the ‘stupid bloody Tuesday’ Paul supposedly died. Ha!

11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Of course you are. We must expose Billy Shears!

12. Eh, Billy Shears was the better musician anyway, I ain't even too mad.

Glad to have another one on board! For more on the Beach Boys, await the writeups for the Rubber Soul and Revolver periods and "Back in the USSR", I guess!

(...Hm, come to think of it, a Beach Boys rate might be fun, but I wouldn't be the expert to run it.)

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  13. Sorry for being missing in action a couple of days chaps, lot on my plate at the minute. Should get another instalment of our ongoing series up in the next couple of days though - and maybe even five of the worst...

Also, since it's nearly four weeks till voting time, expect a tagging round soon. (Can you now just use one post for that or is it still limited to five tags per post?)

DJHazey and DominoDancing like this.
  14. Five per post. Only mods can post unlimited tags in one post.

15. How I'm choosing to seperate the songs for 'averages' and to see which 'era' comes out as the strongest! Pretty straight forward and if anyone wants to use it, they can!

Please Please Me/With the Beatles // 1963

Love Me Do
    Please Please Me
    I Saw Her Standing There
    Twist and Shout
    From Me to You
    She Loves You
    All My Loving
    I Want to Hold Your Hand

A Hard Day’s Night/Beatles For Sale // 1964

Can't Buy Me Love
    A Hard Day's Night
    And I Love Her
    I Feel Fine
    Eight Days a Week

Help!/Rubber Soul // 1965

Ticket to Ride
    Help!
    Yesterday
    You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
    Day Tripper
    We Can Work It Out
    Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
    Nowhere Man
    Michelle
    In My Life

Revolver // 1966

Paperback Writer
    Taxman
    Eleanor Rigby
    Yellow Submarine
    Tomorrow Never Knows

Magical Mystery Tour/Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band // 1967

Penny Lane
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    With a Little Help from My Friends
    Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
    When I'm Sixty-Four
    A Day in the Life
    All You Need is Love
    Hello Goodbye
    I Am the Walrus
    The Fool on the Hill

White Album // 1968

Lady Madonna
    Hey Jude
    Revolution
    Back in the U.S.S.R.
    Dear Prudence
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    Blackbird
    Helter Skelter

Abbey Road/Let it Be // 1969-1970

Get Back
    Don't Let Me Down
    The Ballad of John and Yoko
    Here Comes the Sun
    Oh! Darling
    Octopus' Garden
    Come Together
    Something
    Across the Universe
    Let It Be
    The Long and Winding Road

My guess, before diving in, is that 1967 will be my highest scores.

blissteria and Ironheade like this.
  16. I'm actually seeing a lot of people splitting their music into four defined sections (yes, I've been looking this up)

Pre-Help! | Their introduction, their "pop" era, British Invasion era, etc.
    Help!/Rubber Soul | Influenced by Dylan, refining their sound, beginning to experiment.
    Revolver/Magic Mystery Tour/Sgt. Peppers | The Psychedelic era
    White Album/Let It Be/Abbey Road | Material not as cohesive, not being worked on together, eventual breakup.

Someone joked about it by using the drugs to define it. Sober Era, Marijuana Era, LSD Era, Heroine Era.

---

I wrote a paper on them freshman year of college, so reading about this from your writeups and the internet have reminded me of that material.

17. KingBruno, CorgiCorgiCorgi and Jeffo like this.
  18. Epic Chocolat and DominoDancing like this.
  19. Verandi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.