ABBA - Voyage | Page 108 | The Popjustice Forum

ABBA - Voyage

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by hollaa01, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Yes, that's true-a back catalogue second to none.

Filippa, SlowBurn and ~Paul~ like this.
  2. It isn’t. In one of the studio images, you can see Frida has the lyrics to the song in front of her

Filippa likes this.
  3. So, so hard to pick an ABBA favourite. As someone else already pointed out, I've a feeling that ultimately my personal go-to faves are songs that aren't always as well known, like 'Slipping Through My Fingers', 'My Love, My Life', 'Cassandra'. I adore all the big smashes too, but I listen to these a lot. They have one hell of a catalogue of gems.

4. One of my favourite ABBA gems, is indeed Slipping Through My Fingers. So gorgeous and yet heartbreaking at the same time.

Filippa and SlowBurn like this.
  5. Knowing me Knowing you is for me the quintessential Abba song .. If I have to pick an absolute favourite it would be The Winner takes it all

6. There's no denying that The Winner Takes It All is one of the best pop songs ever written. Absolutely no doubt about it.

But as much as I love everything about it, there are elements of other tracks, like the dynamic vocal layering and the absolute wall of sound they create that aren't necessarily there in Winner, but yet are quintessential ABBA for me.

And I think that's the genius of ABBA in a nutshell. That something as exquisite as Winner is better than many other bands will ever be able to achieve, in terms of musicality, lyricism and artistry. But it's not even close to the best of what ABBA can do.

7. 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' will always be my favourite ABBA song. But 'The Day Before You Came', 'Lay All Your Love On Me', 'Voulez-Vous', 'S.O.S', 'Eagle', 'The Name Of The Game', 'If It Wasn't For The Nights', 'Thank You For The Music'... the list goes on and on.

Filippa and lutz like this.
  8. For me, some of their songs are lifted to a higher plane by some brilliant ABBA moments, even if the songs as a whole aren’t the best.

I Let The Music Speak is in this category. It’s Frida-led but there are parts when Agnetha joins in and these are exquisite.

The lines are:
    “From my shallow sleep the sounds awake me”
    “Where I let the wistful sounds seduce me”
    “I surrender without reservation”.

Also, Two For The Price of One. No one likes this song, and I’m not a fan of the subject matter, the punchline or Bjorn’s singing, but Agnetha’s and Frida’s backing vocals in the chorus really do take it to another level. For that reason I wouldn’t be without that track.

I think their lines are:
    If you are dreaming of someone that would be right for you

Why don't you call us and you’ll get two for the price of one

We may be the answer to your problem, if by chance you feel blue

Why don't you call us and you’ll get two for the price of one

JonBcn, actorandlyricist and Filippa like this.
  9. I have been listening to the new songs a lot this weekend. They really are both excellent. There is so much going on in Don’t Shut Me Down, I notice new things all the time.

10. I keep hearing Aggie sing: "But in the shaven form I appear now."

Mikey1701, Burzum, Filippa and 3 others like this.
  11. Just ask Benny!

MilesAngel and Filippa like this.
  12. Oh I completely forgot about that one - it's the song for the hotel, Benny owns?

It's so difficult to name a favorite song by ABBA but I think for me Super Trouper and The Visitors are my favourite albums so I often listen to songs like
    Lay Your Love On Me, The Piper, Andante Andante
    The Visitors, Like an Angel Passing Through My Room, Should I Love Or Cry

But lately, I've returned to quite an unusual song for me:

And it keeps changing: Angeleyes, If It Wasn't For the Nights, The King Has Lost His Crown, Kisses of Fire and many others have all been favourites once and will be again, I guess ..

MilesAngel, lutz and AbSynth like this.
  13. Hole In Your Soul is ICONIC. Agnetha’s high note scream was a moment!

lutz, Guyhawke!, lob0to and 3 others like this.
  14. I'd say my faves off the top of my head are: That's Me, Money Money Money, Chiquitita, Knowing Me Knowing You, Voulez Vous, Gimme Gimme Gimme, Eagle, Head Over Heels, Summer Night City, Move On, Fernando, My Mama Said, Kisses of Fire, and Thank You For the Music.

lutz and TurnItIntoLove like this.
  15. Speak for yourself.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    MilesAngel, MmmDani, lob0to and 4 others like this.
  16. I love Two For The Price Of One! The girls floating in really make it pop, but I enjoy the slight Cabaret vibes of it all.

17. I unashamedly love Two For The Price of One! For many years after it was released, it was the track I always skipped. But it clicked for me one day when I noticed exactly what @Alan mentioned. What really makes that song is the harmonies during the choruses, it's my favourite - and the clearest - example of how their voices together make anything seem possible. Yeah the tune is cheesy, and a bit ridiculous, but when I want to be blown away by Anna-Frid and Agnetha's vocals, it's my go-to Abba song now.

MilesAngel, lob0to, Alan and 2 others like this.
  18. Posted this in the general ABBA thread too, but here's a recent video I made. Enjoy.

MilesAngel likes this.
  19. The thing that I love about Two For The Price Of One is that the whole song is a limerick. It's very cleverly done. It has a very witty punchline!

20. I’ve started to hear “We stand on a summit, Under the table”
    (actual words are “Humble and grateful”)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.