ABBA - Voyage | Page 159 | The Popjustice Forum

ABBA - Voyage

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by hollaa01, Apr 27, 2018.

1. For those in the UK, it’s ABBA night on channel 5.

some awful documentary at 9:10, but both ABBA In Concert and ABBA The Movie are on afterwards. Essential viewing.

Wishlight, lutz, lob0to and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sorry, I've changed it to to the 10 it clearly is.

suitechicguy likes this.
  3. I guess my CD Box and Black Vinyl came, just got to collect it tomorrow.
    I knew I should have used my work address as my delivery address. Haha

4. Okay so I’ve had several listens of my HMV vinyl since last night so I think it’s safe to say I’m really enjoying this album and it’s lovely to have them back, I Still Have Faith In You is already a nostalgic trip to it first being released in September whilst I was on a family holiday, this song was on the radio a lot all week so it definitely soundtracked it.
    I’m loving When You Danced With Me, Keep An Eye On Dan, No Doubt About It and obviously Don’t Shut Me Down is the absolute highlight on here. The only song I don’t really care for is Little Things. Just A Notion is cute as previously said, I like it.

The nicest part is that I’ve been listening to this album with my parents, their Greatest Hits vinyl got a lot of plays as a kid and that was pretty much my entrance to them, so it was nice to experience new ABBA music with them.

5. Prime example of Frida’s excellent control is on No Doubt About It. The way she elongate her notes and ends in vibrato is gorgeous. Young singers would struggle but she does it so effortlessly.

6. 'Bumblebee' is genuinely quite a moving track. I love it.

The only track I don't appreciate is 'Little Things'. It would've been a perfect standalone Christmas single though!

7. US

Summer Walker (LVRN/Interscope) 185-210k total activity, 9-12k albums
    ABBA (Capitol) 75-85k, 70-80k

8. “When You Danced With Me” seems to be doing very well on streaming services and is about 100,000 views ahead of everything else on YouTube.

actorandlyricist and Txetxu like this.
  9. I'm not totally sure, but I believe the first time I ever heard ABBA songs was during my Billie stan days!

I bought a pirated ABBA Gold during the family holiday to Turkey a few months later, and here I am!

But I think they're one of those bands where you already know a bunch of their songs, even if you don't realise it.
    I Still Have Faith In You and Don't Shut Me Down are my songs of the year. I listen to them every day.
    The bit where Agnetha's voice kicks in at "We do have it in us!" gets me every time. I sobbed the first several times I heard the song.
    For some reason I love how she delivers "When I left, I felt I'd had enough" as well.

10. I asked my mom on Whatsapp what she thought of the new album.
    She likes it, but said it's a bit short.

My reply:
    Play it twice then

11. Have we all read Björn's descriptions of the songs from Apple Music?
    Legit so much to unpack re: I Can Be That Woman. I completely get where he's coming from with it being like a country song lyrically, but musically it isn't at all. I love that the dog is named for Tammy Wynette! Poor Dolly and Reba missing out on the "queen of country" title though. The narrator being a recovering addict definitely makes the song make more sense, but it's... nowhere to be found in the actual lyrics nn.

(Side note, what breed of dog do you think Tammy is? I see her as a little border collie. Not to be dramatic, but I would die for Tammy.)

And not his commentary on Keep an Eye on Dan further revealing his ignorance of the real queen of country!

Wishlight, discoteca, Alan and 3 others like this.
  12. What's a Billie stan's favorite ABBA song?
    The Piper!

tylerc, Wishlight, Conan and 9 others like this.
  13. There was a typo in my post. I meant to say "it's been so we'll received"

My hope is they'll back track on the "only these 2" decision

mrp2910 likes this.
  14. At last I listened to the album in full yesterday as life has been a bit hectic. I have to say I bloody love it. I’m so glad a band with their legendary status have stuck to their own original sound despite the passing of time. Why should a band like ABBA follow trends when they are so admired and an inspiration for so many. There is not a track I don’t like. However Don’t Shut Me Down and Bumblebee are my absolute highlights after a couple of plays. Such a welcome return when there is so much bland crap out there clogging up the charts.

15. I can't say I love it, and on first listen I'm a bit underwhelmed, but I'm sure it's a grower.

16. Is there a jewel case edition in the UK? My deluxe CD is scratched already and I've only taken it out of the sleeve, very gently, once.

lutz likes this.
  17. I really, really wish they had remade Story of a Heart for this.

18. “Story of a Heart” totally belongs at track 3 instead of “Little Things”

Wishlight, actorandlyricist and lutz like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.