ABBA - Voyage | Page 185 | The Popjustice Forum

ABBA - Voyage

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by hollaa01, Apr 27, 2018.

1. The 90s too. Friend gave me an original pressing of Mariah’s debut and it sounds just glorious. Have a friend the new pressing from #MC30 and it’s really not half that impressive. And I am by now means an audiophile. It’s just obvious.

I realize how bad a lot of new stuff is whenever I get a brand new one that just sounds extremely good for a change. It’s rare but sometimes they still do it like they did back then.

Firewalker and SlowBurn like this.
  2. You just know Sir Ian is a massive ABBA stan.

1outside, lutz, Overdose and 2 others like this.
  3. I guess music was made back then specifically for vinyl. That's not the case any longer and therefore it can be hit and miss as to whether something made to sound good on your iPhone will sound any good on a turntable.

Blaahh and lutz like this.
  4. The way I've gone from fearing Keep An Eye On Dan in case it was a novelty comedy song, to thinking it's one of the best things they've ever done. Only Benny and Bjorn could have written this song which I love.

andru, Alenko, tom71 and 5 others like this.
  5. Ian McKellen chose 'Dancing Queen' as one of his Desert Island Discs in 2003.

I wonder if he'll be in a video for 'Little Things' (I think it might be a Christmas single!)

6. This is a big reason I've stuck with CDs and haven't got on the vinyl bandwagon. I've seen far too many complaints about quality control issues with the pressings for a variety of releases.

7. I still have Faith in you has been nominated for Grammy! Record of the year!

Record Of The Year
    “I Still Have Faith In You” — ABBA
    “Freedom” — Jon Batiste
    “I Get A Kick Out Of You” — Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga
    “Peaches” — Justin Bieber Featuring Daniel Caesar & Giveon
    “Right On Time” — Brandi Carlile
    “Kiss Me More” — Doja Cat Featuring SZA
    “Happier Than Ever” — Billie Eilish
    “Montero” (Call Me By Your Name) — Lil Nas X
    “drivers license” — Olivia Rodrigo
    “Leave The Door Open” — Silk Sonic

Marquis, Disobedience, andru and 26 others like this.
  8. ABBA getting a Grammy Record Of The Year nomination in 2021/2. Let that sink in.

9. I WAS SHOCKED, SPEECHLESS and then fucking SCREAMED when I opened the Grammy nomination page and saw ABBA nominated in ROTY.

10. Abba! Grammy!
    Too fucking right!

11. That is the most random nomination! Wish it had been for Don't Shut Me Down instead.

Verandi, Uno and Overdose like this.
  12. That is quite unexpected. Watch out, their American Appreciation Era is on the horizon. We can hope anyway.

lutz likes this.
  13. They won't win sadly, but it's amazing they were nominated. They don't need Grammys anyway as everyone knows theyre amazing.

SlowBurn, mynextrick and AndrewX like this.
  14. I
    I think it has to do with what the song represents as a message, not only for their own story but also in the wider sense . I love Don’t shut me down but understand why this was nominated. It fits so perfectly into the narrative of one of the most popular groups ever suddenly having a Number 2 album with their first music in 40 years, in the only country where they never had much success before

15. I love that we live in a world where ABBA have been nominated for a Grammy.

16. This is the one time the committee being a bunch of 65 year old voters worked in our favour.

17. Apparently, they eliminated the committee vote. The nominations are based on the member vote exclusively. I’ll have to find the article again, but I can’t remember if that applied to every category.

18. Well the members are still mostly white old men who only know HER.

VivaForever and Andrew like this.
  19. Another cute video with Ian McKellan has been released.

in other news, now the Christmas tree has gone up and I’m feeling festive, Little Things is sounding a lot better.

20. Wonder if will have to skip Little Things post Christmas when listening to Voyage in full? Guess it's not too festive enough to get away with it.

Uffbangwallop likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.