Abbott Elementary (S3)

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
This has to be the funniest show on TV right now.

You can sense when they're having fun recording each episode and it's probably why it's so enjoyable as viewers - they've hit their groove and we're all in on 'the joke' with them.

(Also the "Sister Act 2" references? genius)

God I hated that guest star appearance from the Oscars episode.

I really hope it was just a little post-Oscars fun they were having. If they start getting huge stars making guest appearances all the time it will ruin the world they've created.

Oh I actually thought Bradley was great in his cameo. The basketball (?) one in the season premiere was the one that I didn't enjoy.

The basketball bit was fine until it went on far too long and became like a quarter of the episode. I think it made sense, too. I'm not sure a single episode has gone by where Philly isn't mentioned by name at least once so them finding ways to incorporate more real-world Philly things makes sense. Abbott Elementary is far from in a vacuum from the rest of the world, too. The amount of references to current, up-to-date slang have been throwing me through a loop.

The problem is more that they seem bad at actually writing the cameos into the story. Bradley's scene felt like something that was never part of the episode and was hastily written in a day before filming.

I wish they had dragged out the tension between Barbara and Janine a few more episodes to get a more emotional moment out of it but otherwise another funny episode.

Cree Summer as the libraraian is genius.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uno
Did anyone else find it a bit peculiar that it has long been known that Abbott Elementary was named in honor of Quinta’s teacher Ms. Abbott … but then they had a whole plot line about how the person the school was named after was a giant racist? I know it doesn’t matter in the scheme of things but it just felt to me like a strange path to pursue, like it taints the tribute in some way or something. Oh well!

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
Did anyone else find it a bit peculiar that it has long been known that Abbott Elementary was named in honor of Quinta’s teacher Ms. Abbott … but then they had a whole plot line about how the person the school was named after was a giant racist? I know it doesn’t matter in the scheme of things but it just felt to me like a strange path to pursue, like it taints the tribute in some way or something. Oh well!
But I think it’s rather realistic because so many institutions are indeed named after people with racist histories. As a plot point it was able to highlight that which I think was the constructive choice given the show now having a more visible platform.

I thought the episode itself was a bit less successful than those right before it but that makes sense considering the lesson it was undertaking.

RainOnFire

Staff member
God I hated that guest star appearance from the Oscars episode.

I really hope it was just a little post-Oscars fun they were having. If they start getting huge stars making guest appearances all the time it will ruin the world they've created.
I know this happened a few weeks ago but I'm still annoyed about it fff probably because the video of it keeps getting recommended to me on YouTube.

At first I was like "I don't want big stars on this show! Go away!!!" but the more I think about it, it was mostly about Bradley playing himself and it being a terribly written scene that felt shoehorned in. Bradley Cooper talking about how criminally underfunded public schools are, even as a joke, when he has the money that he has... shut up!

I’ve been loving all of the guest stars. Cree Summer was amazing. I think they’re doing a good job Of using them to enhance the development of the main cast instead of letting them overshadow the show.

This season has been my favorite so far. I like that even though it’s a sitcom, we still get to see the characters grow. My favorite episode was the one where Jacob broke up with Zach. I was screaming the entire time! I hope they bring Zach back like they did Tariq. I also think it revealed an extreme amount of chemistry between Jacob and Gregory. If they hadn’t already set up Gregory with Janine, I wouldn’t mind them as a couple. I’ll settle for best friends though.