Abbott Elementary | The Popjustice Forum

Abbott Elementary

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mr.Arroz, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/articles/2021/12/03/abc-abbott-elementary-review/

[​IMG]

With Insecure gone, the buzz from this show on Twitter really pushed me to check it out. The first three episodes are available and it's become one of the new shows on my radar, especially since it again highlights and centers around Black-led stories.

It's at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. You may also recognize Quinta (lead, writer, and executive producer for the project), from Instagram, Buzzfeed, and other viral moments that eclipsed those:

What's cool is the show is based in Philly and Quinta herself is from there. In ways similar to Insecure, it's nice to see Black women helm projects for them, by them, especially with how both had routes in digital media ahead of their big break. I'm really digging it so far.

2. Watched the first episode and while it's not laugh out loud, it's got a big heart and some great moments rooted in the sad reality of schools/teachers

Uno and Mr.Arroz like this.
  3. Loving this show so far. It really, really captures the spirit of Philadelphia that I haven’t seen from other shows (my family is from the area and I lived there for awhile) — plus I would watch Sheryl Lee Ralph doing absolutely anything.

GodsAndMonsters and Mr.Arroz like this.
  4. I’m also thoroughly enjoying this so far. It’s quality comfort food tv - equal parts funny and heartwarming, and as mentioned, Queen Sheryl Lee Ralph can do no wrong. It’s a perfect Superstore successor.

5. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

The principal be cutting up too.

6. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

This had the best pilot of the 2022 midseason, at least to me. I'm not gonna say it was bulletproof, but I already know it's one of those shows that is going to get so strong once it settles into itself.

Someboy, lushLuck, hologram and 2 others like this.
  7. For more Janelle James, please check out her great routine on The Standups on Netflix.

Mr.Arroz, aboutyounow and lushLuck like this.

8. I’m still mad she banned Lauryn Hill from going to the choir competition but whatever

9. The best show network television has put out in quite some time, in my opinion. The writing is tight and funny, and the characters were well-drawn from the start, with good performances too. I feel like the ceiling is pretty high for this one.

WowWowWowWow, RainOnFire, R92 and 2 others like this.
  10. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

11. When I tell you this is the only show I currently watch that I have to tune into as it airs live. Janelle James and William Stanford Davis steal this show anytime they are on screen.

Much like Issa Rae, it’s been truly amazing to watch Quinta’s rise from a platform that could not contain her immense creativity to now creating/starring in the best reviewed network comedy in probably 10 years.

12. My boyfriend and I have been watching this, and besides Ghosts, this is the only other show we look forward to each week. It’s become a firm favorite. It helps when you have a good cast that brings it to life.

Mr.Arroz, lushLuck and WowWowWowWow like this.
  13. I’ve kept thinking to myself “Where do I know Jacob from??” and only today did I remember that IMDB is a thing.

5CA4423C-77EC-4F25-A868-721A5BFBF219.jpeg

14. This was so funny and good. I'm gonna start tuning in live every Tuesday.

lushLuck and WowWowWowWow like this.
  15. I love this show and I'm so here for Tyler James Williams entering his sitcom hottie era.

16. Sorry to hijack, but is US Ghosts good? I LOVE the UK one and was worried about the remake but love Rose McIver?

Also, watched the first ep of Abbott and laughed out loud a few times, the buzz on twitter got me there but the pilot is gonna make me stay.

Quimogen and lushLuck like this.
  17. I'm really enjoying the US version of Ghosts. Similarly, it's entertaining comfort television.

aboutyounow, Quimogen and itylts like this.
  18. It’s totally worth it. Rose is a delight. We held off watching the US version for a little while since I’m a fan of the original, but it’s been surprisingly good.

itylts likes this.
  19. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

The ratings are hitting tooooo

20. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

I'm sorry but this shit is KILLING me. I appreciate her so much ddd.

lushLuck and WowWowWowWow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.