Ace of Base

Who elses likes Tokyo Girl and L'amour from Flowers? But then again the whole album is full of winners

I just put L'Amour on loud in my car yesterday -- it's not in my Ace Of Base high rotation, but I adore Linn's vocals in it. Her accent is so pronounced in the verses. I find it so charming. She also sings quite low, in the style of Adventures in Paradise.

The coverart for the TG single in Japan is one of my favourites from the era, though I would've loved a version with a cherry or peach blossom (to match the others).

NC02NTczLnBuZw.jpeg

I saw Ray posted the clip on his YouTube. And from what I understood of it, it sounded like Ulf has contributed with many hours of video he recorded while on the road back when they were famous. So combined with interviews and other clips, I think the documentary will be really interested. I didn't quite understand what he said about "a comeback" but sounded like probably not or we'll see...

Flowers is exactly the kind of album I envision ABBA releasing in the 90s had they been productive, hell 'Cecilia' is so ABBA it's uncanny, the lyrics and way it's sung instantly makes me think of them.

As somebody that is new to delving into their full catalog etc, are the Hidden Gems albums meant to be rough in terms of quality?

Flowers is exactly the kind of album I envision ABBA releasing in the 90s had they been productive, hell 'Cecilia' is so ABBA it's uncanny, the lyrics and way it's sung instantly makes me think of them.

As somebody that is new to delving into their full catalog etc, are the Hidden Gems albums meant to be rough in terms of quality?

Hidden Gems is a mix of songs that were fully finished, some of which were released as B-sides. Others are early demos that were never finished because they abandoned plans for an album altogether.

I still can’t believe they released Gold without a new song when “I Couldn’t Care Less” was right there!
But Gold was just a budget best of for the UK market, where AoB's albums had been out of print for years. Most of the series were standard singles and albums tracks. Including Hidden Gems was just a nice bonus.

But Gold was just a budget best of for the UK market, where AoB's albums had been out of print for years.
I meant the original one from 2008:
1709732473464.jpeg

Which did get new tracks in the form of re-recordings and even released one as a single: “Wheel of Fortune 2009”.

Gold was pretty much just this repackaged which is why I ended up getting them confused.

I meant the original one from 2008:
View attachment 51511

Which did get new tracks in the form of re-recordings and even released one as a single: “Wheel of Fortune 2009”.

Gold was pretty much just this repackaged which is why I ended up getting them confused.
Ah this one. It was because the band didn't actually want this GH to be released at all. It was just fulfilling their contract. They would've been holding the new songs back for a new studio album.

Mvnl

Staff member
I think The Bridge is my favourite album of the group, it is so 90s in the best way but also quite dark and worldly, if that makes sense?

It does to me! Happy Nation was pretty dark in its own way too I'd say, but there's definitely quite a clear shift in sound between their first 3 albums. Hard to compare them even, but The Bridge being my 2nd CD ever will always hold a special place in my heart.

I love Flowers so much -- it was the first album release we got to experience internationally, together, thanks to online fan forums. I feel like Jonas achieved peak-ABBA with the original version of "Donnie". Those strings....!! I'd love to hear the instrumental version.

With Hidden Gems, Ben summed it up nice: some are just unfinished. There may be some weaker tracks in terms of writing, but the demand for all of them was high and we're lucky we got them on streaming. For over a decade, some tracks were just known by their songtitles and the lore around them went DEEP.

I made a playlist of just my faves and it's crazy to get the sense of all these other timelines where label meddling might have gone in a different direction.

I think The Bridge is my favourite album of the group, it is so 90s in the best way but also quite dark and worldly, if that makes sense?
As the years have gone on, The Bridge became my favourite, too. It's verging on timeless. I was just listening to Que Sera this morning and Linn's adlibs at the end gather me up. For someone who's vocals were described by Denniz PoP as so precise to be like a synthesizer, she can still pierce and emote. One of those diverging timelines gave us a Linn solo album I'm sure....!

It does to me! Happy Nation was pretty dark in its own way too I'd say, but there's definitely quite a clear shift in sound between their first 3 albums. Hard to compare them even, but The Bridge being my 2nd CD ever will always hold a special place in my heart.
I had a dear roommate move to Australia last year, to do the whole hostel backpacker thing, and in one of the sharehouses he was in was a cassette of Happy Nation. Having seen the LPs on my walls, he listened and was REALLY intrigued. He found it to be darker than expected and even experimental, and asked if later albums were like that. I had to explain how that was a specific era they never really revisited in terms of an album. I suppose "Love for Sale", "At The Borderline", and "Memories Forever" were earnest attempts (and great ones).

The Bridge is such an underrated masterpiece. It has all the strong melodies from the debut paired with the darker themes and more sophisticated productions. It feels so uncompromising and true to their vision. I never get tired listening to it and it will always be one of my favorite records.