Acne, pimples, skin issues in general | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Acne, pimples, skin issues in general

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Deleted member 5343, Dec 11, 2015.

1. I was on accutane when I was younger. My skin did clear up but after about 6 months I started getting breakouts again. Some years later my skin is okay. I have mild acne now, in that some weeks I'm clear and others I'm dealing with several spots on my face or chest or both, but it's better than it was when I was younger.

I don't think I'll ever be properly clear sadly.

2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

To clarify I wasn't saying that Accutane can't work for some people without severe side effects, but that it's hardly some drug you take for two weeks and discontinue if it doesn't work out. People have to take it for months to usually see an effect and some people have had serious side effects, enough that the FDA put their highest warning on the drug. You should know the risks you're taking on before committing to it.

Mirwais Ahmadzaï and send photo like this.
  3. Does anyone have any product recommendations for body acne? I honestly feel gross even typing this haha (somehow, to me, it feels ickier than facial acne) but I've found in my 20s, although my facial breakouts are practically nonexistant I've had more problems with shoulder/neck/back acne. I haven't worn my hair really long for years (I tend to go for styles above the shoulder) so it's unlikely to be that. I get that simulataneously rough-and-oily skin on the shoulders/upper back in particular.

I tried a new-ish Sanex shower gel which is for oily and combination skin, but it didn't really do anything. I've been avoiding highly perfumed/colourful shower gels for a couple of years, now, and try to stick to ones like Simple and Sanex.

It seems to be trickier to treat, in some ways, compared to facial acne.

bonnieetclyde likes this.
  4. Said friend spent years declining accutane despite receiving professional medical advice to do so because on what he'd read "on a quick Google"

Now his only regret is that he prolonged his misery - and scarring - longer than was neccersary.

So riddle me this wise one. How is a google search that confirms one bias any more sound advice than going to see an actual professional and listening to what they have to say?

Accutane isn't the only drug. A different one might recommended. I just hate the idea of a young person spending £300 a time on cosmetic treatments that don't have peer reviews clinical trials supporting them while turning down oral medication that (in the UK with a prescription) is free and for many patients proven to work.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Medical studies have been done on the dangerous side effects of Accutane. The FDA doesn't just hand out black box warnings at a whim, companies don't stop making highly successful drugs on a whim. Even the non severe side effects are not a walk in a park and people should know that before committing. Just telling someone they can take it for two weeks and then stop is irresponsible.

marie_05 and send photo like this.
  6. That was me. I kept denying it because of the side effects until my early 20s and my only regret is that I didn't take it sooner. Acne was a scourge on my life and I had tried EVERYTHING. I took it for a few months and now I barely see a pimple here and there *knocks on wood* I wouldn't recommend it lightly but it was a lifesaver for me.

RhythmNative and matthew. like this.
  7. All I said was go to the doctor and listen to what they have to say and weigh up the options without ruling anything ou based on what you've heard.

That is sound advice for any medical condition.

Your advocating taking a position without seeking the professional opinion. There's an acute difference.

8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I was also counselled by doctors against Accutane until I'd tried every last thing I could. It's not something they hand out lightly.

send photo likes this.
  9. Not the acne thread getting lit.

10. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

Anyone had any good experience with scalp psoriasis treatments? It started to appear 18 months ago and I've been given liquid, foam and shampoo by my doctor but I'm never consistent enough with them to know if they work. I think having several different products is what's confusing me.

11. Accutane changed my life. Is it a perfect drug? Absolutely not, but it's hard to argue with the result. I went from having persistent acne to flaw skin in 6 months. Along the way your skin is disgustingly dry, the corners of your mouth tear open every time you speak, you get random nosebleeds and in my case horrendous mood swings as well.

If I woke up tomorrow and all my acne suddenly came back I would go through it all again in a heartbeat. During my third month I started noticing results, by mid way through the 4th month I was acne free. It did wonders for my self-esteem, I didn't feel ashamed looking in the mirror any more.

matthew. likes this.
  12. I use this http://www.beautybay.com/bathandbody/mariobadescu/ahabotanicalbodysoap/

It's good stuff. Doesn't stop acne but definitely helps clear up breakouts quicker.

Andrew and ChiquitaPlantain like this.
  13. This post gives me so much hope. I need to read stuff like this right now. I got referred to the dermatologist back in mid-December and every day I'm waiting for the letter to come through the post with an appointment date. I just wanna hurry up and get started on it. The antibiotics I've been using have done absolutely nothing for me, but I can understand the GP probably wanted to use accutane as a last resort.

I wish I took care of my skin more when I was younger. I remember having a face full of horrific cysts and whiteheads in high school and I would constantly pick at them and refuse to take anything the doctor prescribed to me. I hated my skin but I was so stupid and stubborn that anytime someone told me "stop picking your spots" or "you should use that cream, it will really help" it really pissed me off and I refused just purely because I was being told to do it.

Does accutane do anything with scarring/pigmentation or is it just purely about stopping the breakouts completely?

14. It kills sebum (oil) gland cells. Hence the severe drying out of skin. It won't do anything for existing scarring I'm afraid. But your pigmentation and shallow scarring is unlikely to be permanent.

Read the entire wiki article on Accutane (Isotretinoin). Articles on major drugs are usually excellently sourced and moderated. It might help put any questions/concerns you have into context.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotretinoin

And also remember your dermatologist might not recommend/prescribe accutane. There are other drugs. Ask them about it - but don't be disappointed if they recommend something else you've not tried before. Go in with an open mind.

shadow2009 likes this.
  15. I have great skin and I attribute that to putting on a really thin layer of Sudocreme on my face every night which I've done so for years.

Andrew likes this.
  16. Have you tried Neutrogena T/Gel? I swear by this stuff and it's the only thing that got rid of (if I use it twice a week, nñ) my scalp psoriasis. Downside is that it smells like gasoline but if you haven't tried it yet I'd give it a shot.

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  17. I adore Sudocrem. It takes me to my comfort place. When I did suffer from bad skin and then trich/dermatillimania it would make me feel loads better. I'm convinced it's because it's opaque whiteness would cover red blotches which make me not think about it. Getting through the door and putting it one would feel like putting on a mask. I adore the smell.

I'm less convinced about it's actual medicinal properties. It's ingredients are pretty hilarious. It's got lots of oil and wax in so not sure it would be great for oily skin and sever acne.

18. I ordered one on amazon a few days ago, if I remember I'll re-quote this and let you know how they work if it ever gets here. I was sucked into a youtube beauty vlog wormhole and watched like 20 videos about these masks and decided to give it a go.

AlexD and bestinase like this.
  19. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I don't think I have, I will give it a go. Thank you. I've never had a condition like this before, it came at the same time as very sudden hair loss some time late in 2015 and gradually got worse.

glorydays likes this.
  20. I kind of hate you for saying this because I've been terrified my hair is thinning since I turned 25, even though there's no visual evidence.

But anyways, yeah, give it a go. I've dealt with this since I was 18 and I've tried various amounts of shampoos (prescribed and store-bought) but after using T/Gel for a while it's the only thing to have helped with ease. It's not that I even have it bad it was just on my hairline and wouldn't go away.

When I first got onto it, I used it every day for a week and my scalp was healthy (after day 4, but I did 3 days of buffer just in case) enough for me to reintroduce regular shampoo into my routine. You need to follow those pesky "leave sit for 5 minutes. rinse & repeat." instructions because it really does make a difference. Also I'd suggest following up with a quality conditioner because it does dry your hair out.

Good luck!!!
    This is one of the things I've been super insecure about. I've never suffered bad from acne or other skin issues really but my scalp psoriasis made me feel dirty (even though I have super good hygiene like every other gay) so I deff know what you're going through.

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.