Additional streaming recommendations

Watching Criminal Record on Apple TV+ with Cush Jumbo and Peter Capaldi. It’s good; kept my attention. Pretty standard police drama so far, with hints of racism/sexism/ageism which will probably become more apparent.
I enjoyed this. No announcement on a second season yet, but I hope it gets one; there's a lot of potential there.

He/Him
I enjoyed this. No announcement on a second season yet, but I hope it gets one; there's a lot of potential there.
Yes. It definitely needs one.

I’m glad I watched it. Because after watching Stay Close (the Harlan Coben show) a few years ago, I didn’t really rate Cush Jumbo. She was great in this. Would now be very likely to watch her in other things now.

Just finished the final episode of Expats, I really liked this one. Wish there were more than six episodes. Too bad people were turned off by its slow burn pacing, but this was right up my alley. Hope Sarayu Blue gets her due from this.

Yes. It definitely needs one.

I’m glad I watched it. Because after watching Stay Close (the Harlan Coben show) a few years ago, I didn’t really rate Cush Jumbo. She was great in this. Would now be very likely to watch her in other things now.
Nothing official yet, but Cush Jumbo apparently said on Watch What Happens Live at the weekend that there will be a second season.

I started watching Quiet On Set yesterday since it was all over my Twitter timeline. I only got two episodes in but it’s a pretty harrowing account of the late 90s early 2000s Nickelodeon days. Kind of puts a dark smudge on my Saturday night childhood and kind of explains a lot how some of our faves from back in the day have turned out the way they have. Makes my heart hurt.

I found the Quiet on Set documentary difficult too. It really taints All That, The Amanda Show, etc.

I ran a forum and website on Nickelodeon when I was a young teenager. A man in his 30s at Nickelodeon UK spoke to me and was giving me heads up on what shows they were acquiring, etc. I’d get scoops and that’s all I wanted from my side. I didn’t realise it at the time, but he said some very inappropriate and graphic things to me, invited me to stay around his house, etc. I gave him my address so he could send me birthday presents and then I saw him turn up at the local shops near my house as I was leaving the school bus. He denied it when I spoke to him. He stopped all contact with me when I turned 16.

It’s in every profession, but I really hope and want to believe the safeguarding is better now than it was back then.

Now this looks fabulous!

Just watched the first three episodes. A big disappointment unfortunately - not smart or funny enough to be the high-camp fun it could have been; too meandering, tonally confused and low-stakes to work as a drama.

I might still see it through as it's an easy enough watch, but with this much talent involved it could and should have been so much more.

he/him/basic cishomo
Just discovered the PBS app and the fact that they've got what appears to be every POV documentary? For free? I feel a thrum in my bosom. A good mix of 30-minute shorts and 90-minute films. I've enjoyed every single one I've ever caught and I come away feeling like I've interacted with humans.

We started with When the LAPD Blows Up Your Neighborhood which, WOW, and now we're doing The Dream of a Horse. Yes I will bop along to your Farsi butter-churning song and feel enriched by the experience! Iran is gorgeous too, wow.

Mvnl

Staff member
Thanks for the suggestion! Not 100% sold yet but I like the premise which is at least enough to keep me watching.

Just finished watching 'Fellow Travelers' and it wrecked me emotionally. It starts off hot and heavy (lots of action between Matt Bomer and Jonathan Bailey), but ultimately follows their 'on again off again' relationship over the decades.

It's available on Paramount+.

Had never heard of Wreck until I was scrolling through this thread yesterday and binged the whole thing in one day, I absolutely loved it!

I can’t wait until I can watch the second season in Australia, i watched the first season on ABC iview, the waiting is going to kill me.

I ended up really enjoying The Regime, on the whole. Was it messy and couldn’t figure out its own tone? Yes. But I think it stuck the landing in the end and I feel satisfied enough. Those last two episodes were great TV.