Adele - General Discussion | Page 85 | The Popjustice Forum

Adele - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Robert, Jun 25, 2018.

1. I’ve never been able to get into SNL. Mad TV it isn’t.

Gemini likes this.
  2. Wow I’ve already filled every space on my “Popjustice Bitching About SNL” bingo card and I haven’t even watched the episode yet. This must be some kind of record

3. Homophobic and racist?

4. RJF

RJF

The sole thing I've taken away from what I've seen is that I forgot in the storm of "Someone Like You" becoming everyone's song just... how much the bridge takes my breath away a bit. Artists spend their entire careers chasing a couplet as absolutely packed with pathos as, "I hate to turn up out of the blue..." and never catch it, while still achieving greatness. The way the middle-eight reuses parts of the melody too is brilliant. It's a nice reminder of when it felt like a quiet and soft thing as to gaudy and trite, like massive hits sometimes end up being.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  5. Okay but did anyone else find that Africa sketch completely tone deaf and inappropriate? The white women in the background latching on to the black men as if they were some sort of accessory was not it and quite honestly I am shocked Adele signed off on that. She needs to do better.

6. 52208105-020-B-46-E9-8-B75-DCF5-B6-CCE162.jpg
    Same.

FresherThanYou likes this.
  7. I thought the Madame Vivelda sketch was funny. Kate McKinnon can’t do wrong really.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  8. BTG

BTG

“Someone Like You”‘s power has definitely waned over the years, more and more as the GP adopted it as a national anthem, and the performances became designed as huge sentimental moments to rack up the worldwide YouTube views but I’ll never forget hearing it for the first time on that Jools Holland performance.

It’s so powerful and raw and angry. And maybe the first and only time she performed it without the pressure of the world’s gaze on her. Never bettered.

9. Me watching anything SNL related:

[​IMG]

10. Anyway I love H.E.R. but I kinda wish Adele had pulled double duty and been the musical guest too. I’m still not entirely sure why she was hosting in the first place, unless I’ve missed something

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Trouble in Paradise and Jwentz like this.
  11. The Bachelor skit actually made me laugh. The Africa one wasn't funny itself, but I couldn't help but laugh watching her try not to crack up.

12. She is coming with music , I think she lies when talking about the album.

Andy French likes this.
  13. I’d forgotten how much of a moment this was when it randomly appeared in The X Factor ad break.

Can’t believe it was five years ago.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  14. I doubt it. They were in 2019 predicting what would happen in 2020...

15. Side note;

the hair looks absolutely incred

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  16. Same. The other ones really weren't that funny.

GRMusic and dontkillmyvibe like this.
  17. I remember hearing ‘Someone Like You’ randomly on the radio on some weird station I’d never heard off and loved it and desperately wrote down whatever lyrics I could make out so I could google it because I assumed it was some random indie artist with some obscure song I’d never hear again.

Larsen, Island, Lapras and 2 others like this.
  18. The singles from 21 were all incredible when I first heard them. I lowkey resent radio for hammering them so much.

19. 10 years ago next month. She has never bettered this performance. And of course there's an element of rose tinted glasses with it being the first time hearing it etc. but I actually do think the later performances weren't as gritty or something.

20. Which is a shame because I think it's held up as one of the better ones in that group.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.