Alanis Morissette - General Discussion | Page 72 | The Popjustice Forum

Alanis Morissette - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by vasilios, Apr 3, 2007.

1. I just watched this and was surprised that she basically performs the entire album. I expected 6-7 songs and the rest to be Jagged Little Pill!

2. I've spent the whole week with Alanis, updating her catalog on my computer, roping in all the little extras and also-rans. It's about 185 tracks.

I also used the full recording of the MTV Unplugged show to put Thank U, Your House, and Baba back into the concert and I arranged the whole thing in the sequence in which it was performed. They shouldn't have been cut. Baba is such an excellent concert opener, it's so "okay bitches, it's on now."

Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie stays flawless and my most beloved album. A Canadian friend was kind enough to gift me with a vinyl of it a few years back. It's such a great front-to-finish record. It taught me a lot about what I want from an album, the journey I expect an album to take me on, and what I expect from a lot of the artists I love. And Front Row taught me about what I expect from an opening track, how it has to bring me into the album's world. There are different ways to accomplish that, but Front Row grabs you by the lapels, smiles mischievously, and then throws it and you down the rabbit hole. Explosive. That *god* about forty seconds in is everything.

3. Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie is an incredible album, rivaled only by Under Rug Swept for me.

4. I'd love Junkie on vinyl.

I agree - it's a real experience of an album. I used to listen to it from start to finish all the time. It's really not one you can simply just dip into and listen to a few tracks.

Front Row is criminally underrated.

5. The vinyl is widely available I think.
    Yeah, I think it's my all time favourite Alanis album, it's a fan favourite.

bonnieetclyde and Corso like this.
  6. The vinyl is widely available yes, although there is some skipping on a lot of recent pressings, including my own.

7. Jagged Little Pill may get all the anniversary celebrations but Junkie is the masterpiece.

I'm loving having 'Predator', now just need 'Rest' to appear and I can be content.

londonrain, NobodyKnowsMe and andru like this.
  8. I just can't afford anymore vinyl haha.

9. Junkie, Flavors and Forks are the Holy Trinity of Alanis albums. All bulletproof and utterly divine.

10. I don't think she has a bad album. Havoc and Bright Lights felt like a misstep, that's all.

My ranking (from favourite to least favourite) would be:

Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie
    Under Rug Swept
    Jagged Little Pill
    Flavors of Entanglement
    So-Called Chaos
    Such Pretty Forks in the Road
    Havoc and Bright Lights

But even Havoc has a good chunk of great songs I really enjoy. Forks is pretty low in the list because I haven't sat with it as much but I appreciate that it's a strong record.

*I don't know those pre-Jagged Little Pill albums.

londonrain likes this.
  11. Her teen pop albums are excellent. I prefer Now Is The Time to Jagged Little Pill, Havoc and So Called Chaos

12. Now Is The Time is a great little album, I definitely prefer it to Havoc and probably Forks. The debut is probably her worst overall.

13. I edited out the first twenty-ish seconds of Oh Yeah! on the debut album. I just can't have that nonsense on my computer.

Feel Your Love and An Emotion Away are certified bops though. It's funny how she and Janet both have two pre-history albums that give NO indication of what the artist is capable of.

londonrain likes this.
  14. Are they on streaming?

15. VH1 Storytellers is on Paramount+ and I am living. My god, there's never been anyone like her before or after. The power of it, the tone, the acrobatics, the emotiveness alongside her lyrics. I mean, what a queen.

Fanatical and Pop Life like this.

16. I don't know if this is recent but 20/20 has shown up on streaming.

NobodyKnowsMe, Fuchsia, andru and 2 others like this.
  17. YAS ^^ easily the best thing from that era back then, still love it, download it legally back then and gave ha the deserved money

NobodyKnowsMe likes this.
  18. Some strange stuff going on with the documentary about her. It's called "Jagged" and being released on HBO Max on November 19th. It's premiering today and Alanis isn't supporting it at all. In fact, she came out really strongly against it today.

I'm so curious about the film, but sad that something so comprehensive is also something she's really unhappy with.

19. I just got back from the film and I'm not going to lie, it's absolutely fucking powerful and it's absolutely fucking brilliant. I'm sad to read that Alanis is not supporting it. There was a weird vibe at the beginning of the screening when the director came out and did NOT even mention Alanis' name.

Having said that, Alanis comes across as absolutely smart, incisive, insightful, witty, graceful, wise and just damn likable, I guess I'm surprised she is so against this film. The audience LOVED it. We were clapping and singing along. Reliving the inception, creation, and phenomenon of Jagged Little Pill was one of the most resonant film experiences I've ever had - and this was a partial capacity screening. The love and respect for Alanis were palpable.

I posted on Instagram literally seconds before the screening that, as much as I love Jagged Little Pill, I will always love Alanis' pop phase. You have to remember her first album was a huge deal here in Canada. "Too Hot" and "Feel the Love" were absolute bops. My 15-year-old self still loves those songs.

But the documentary makes me question now that whole period. There is a whole insidious nature surrounding that era that has kind of been evident when Jagged Little Pill came out. There was a purposeful distance between Jagged Little Pill and Alanis' earlier career. I always assumed it was due to the fact that she was ashamed of the music, and I realize now, especially after seeing this film, it was not a happy period for her and the predatory nature of the business probably made Alanis create that distance.

It makes me see everything in a new light, and it creates an even deeper insight into why she NEEDED to make Jagged Little Pill.

I'm guessing that there are certain clips that bother Alanis which I can understand. The film is not just about the Jagged Little Pill phenomenon. The film is also about Alanis' relationship with her male bandmates. They were bringing groupies to rooms and having sex with them, which obviously upset Alanis and went against her motto. I think that was one issue. Another issue was at one point in the film, the director/interviewer asked Alanis that she could have had an entirely female band and Alanis was thrown for a loop. I suspect Alanis did not want that in the film. There's also a story Alanis talks about Madonna, and I'll just say while it's humourous, Madonna doesn't come across well in it (Guy Oseary is heavily featured when discussing Jagged Little Pill being brought to Maverick). Alanis also made a point of saying that the band was created to support her, a solo artist. It may have come across as abrupt, but she was absolutely right.

I really hope Alanis reconsiders because I think this is an important film.

andru, neinzedd and Firewalker like this.
  20. Now I'm curious and nervous about the M part.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.