Alanis Morissette - Such Pretty Forks In The Road | Page 71 | The Popjustice Forum

Alanis Morissette - Such Pretty Forks In The Road

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by xOJakeXo, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Has anyone checked out the HBO documentary about her?

2. Nope. Kinda put off by the fact she was against it.

YourLeadSinger and Corso like this.
  3. I watched it last weekend, as a long time fan it was great to watch never seen before footage of her, backstage material, etc. But I really don't understand why she is against it, maybe because she addressed abuse and she now regrets it? I don't know

OlliMaus and electrosamurai like this.
  4. From what I can tell, the narrative and focus became about that and it’s not what she wanted it to be about.

5. The thing is that the narrative is not about that. It’s a very good documentary.

6. I'm not interested in watching it, I've rung out the whole Jagged Little Pill era over the years. I'd rather a documentary about her work after it to now.

bonnieetclyde likes this.
  7. The doc is very good but I can see why she’s not happy with it. I personally felt like the sexual abuse is showed very lightly and briefly while a lot of attention is directed towards the all male band.

If only we got the same treatment for Junkie!

bonnieetclyde and Coolrockgirl like this.
  8. Tons of feelings about Jagged but mostly feel a sense of awe coming from it. The footage they use is astounding. It all reinforces how much of a moment she was, lightning out of basically nowhere who became the most famous 20-21 year old on the planet. There wasn’t an internet fueling her reach, it was completely radio, MTV, press, and word of mouth. All encompassing in a way that would traumatize anyone, let alone a young woman already working through it. Alanis was the first cassette I owned in the second grade. I remember how all-knowing she sounded even then. To think she was barely a few years older when she wrote the even more ambitious Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. She is singular.

I also think I understand her reservations, likely dealing with the parts of the documentary that over focused on the male band members. I couldn’t not watch something about music so rooted in me and feel I can take away the appreciation, respect, and love for Alanis as an artist and human being.

Jagged is a dumb name for it, though.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    OlliMaus, Jóga, jawow_ and 5 others like this.
  9. Is the doc available in the UK at all?

10. No date for it coming to the UK, unfortunately. I'd guess under the HBO deal it would most likely appear on Sky Documentaries and Now TV but no sign of it there yet.

jawow_ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.