Alanis Morissette

Sorry for a second consecutive post of me just gushing about her. Trigger Warning: I'm gonna wax po-eti-cally.

I was listening to her on my evening walk, and Front Row just... ugh. Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie is probably the most important album of my life, and Front Row is definitely one of the most important songs of my life. I could talk about most every line in the song, but the one that always knocks me dead is

I'd like you to be schooled and in awe
As though you were kissed by God full on the lips

The production choice in that moment is just *chef's kiss* - like the concept of God is so heavy and so big, extra layers of her voice have to swoop in and hoist it up. And the vocal delivery on that word is so dissonant when compared to the words surrounding it, detached and mystical and vaguely uneasy. It's as though you've blinked and, in the brief millisecond your eyes were shut, got a forbidden glimpse of another dimension.

I love this! Front Row is an incredible moment. It's probably my favourite Alanis song. It's so odd and unique and it's just so full of detail, and yet every single detail is just perfect. I get lines from it stuck in my head on a frequent basis. There are lines that are just so weirdly specific or even at first a bit of a joke and yet at some point I think I've connected with every one of them.

I love it in its own right but I think I love the fact she opens the follow up to Jagged Little Pill with it even more so. What a statement of intent!

I also just love everything about the hidden lyrics. Ah the whole thing is just perfection.

The lyrics to Junkie really are some of her best. If not her best. So many layers. Imagine writing that album under the immense pressure of expectation that came are Jagged Little Pill. It's insane to think about how stressed out she must have been.

Junkie is my favourite Alanis album. Followed by Pretty Forks. Jagged never connected with me. Should really give the rest of her discography a listen though. D

My two favorite Alanis albums are Junkie and Under Rug Swept, with So-Called Chaos rounding out my top three. I also prefer Flavors to Jagged. I appreciate Jagged Little Pill and it is obviously a classic, but I don't love like I do the other three. If you haven't checked out Under Rug Swept / Chaos / Flavors, I would definitely recommend them.

he/him
fPSgidl.jpg

GUSSdaR.jpg

8Cv8MHS.jpg

"Such Pretty Forks In The Road" on cassette for Record Store Day's Black Friday event: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/15529

Last edited:
Never got into Junkie. I tried and tried and tried for years but there are only six keepers from it. The melodies are too abstract for me.

I love this! Front Row is an incredible moment. It's probably my favourite Alanis song. It's so odd and unique and it's just so full of detail, and yet every single detail is just perfect. I get lines from it stuck in my head on a frequent basis. There are lines that are just so weirdly specific or even at first a bit of a joke and yet at some point I think I've connected with every one of them.

I love it in its own right but I think I love the fact she opens the follow up to Jagged Little Pill with it even more so. What a statement of intent!

I also just love everything about the hidden lyrics. Ah the whole thing is just perfection.

I too get lines from Front Row stuck in my head now and then - the main being “raise the roof he yelled, yeah raise the roof I yelled back”! It’s such a brilliant yet unusual song.

I ditched my CD many years ago but I’m sure the lyrics in the booklet had a bit that she doesn’t actually say. I recall in the line “I started by saying things like 'you smoke' 'you live in New Jersey'” there was then a “too far” in brackets but she doesn’t actually say too far (I may be misremembering this!).

I too get lines from Front Row stuck in my head now and then - the main being “raise the roof he yelled, yeah raise the roof I yelled back”! It’s such a brilliant yet unusual song.

I ditched my CD many years ago but I’m sure the lyrics in the booklet had a bit that she doesn’t actually say. I recall in the line “I started by saying things like 'you smoke' 'you live in New Jersey'” there was then a “too far” in brackets but she doesn’t actually say too far (I may be misremembering this!).

Yeah she doesn’t say “too far” in the song but it’s definitely in the lyrics - my assumption is that it was there for context of her saying why him living in New Jersey was a reason for them not to be together.