Album titles that don't fit | The Popjustice Forum

Album titles that don't fit

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by SunshineConcubine, Aug 6, 2014.

1. I was listening to Katy Perry's 'One of The Boys' earlier (oh, for the simpler days when she was a 'fatter Amy Winehouse/skinnier Lily Allen', allegedly) and I got to thinking that despite the title track being pretty wonderful, as an album title it's a bit of a misnomer. It might not be quite as fluffy as the music that would follow, but it's quite a girly album really, and the album artwork and Katy's styling around the time doesn't help either. She certainly didn't seem like 'one of the boys'...

Another example: why are there so few bangers with a Z on Miley's 'Bangerz'? It's a great album but you'd think it would be a riot from start to finish with that title.

Are there any albums with a name that you think really doesn't reflect the music it contains?

2. 'Out of Control' by Girls Aloud I remember being rather sedate.

3. Isn't that the point of One Of The Boys? I mean aren't it's lyrics about her wanting to be more feminine so she won't be seen as one of the boys?

Right about BANGERZ though. Britney Jean (and 90% of other self-titled albums..) is an obvious choice.

4. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

What would be a good title for 'Britney Jean'? 'Shit'?

5. Rihanna - LOUD (apart from S&M and Only Girl i fail to think of another song that sounds remotely loud)
    Miley Cyrus - Bangerz (Balladz...)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. Catfights and Spotlights.

7. For an album called The Beatles (which was dubbed the White Album), it probably contains the most disparate and rather hodgepodge offering from the group because they largely wrote as four separate units (although it's rumored George may have aided Ringo in his stuff). A cohesive body of work it is not. The original title A Doll's House makes more sense, though the White Album label is ubiquitous.

8. I think "The Beatles" was intended to be a statement of going back to basics, and ditching all the Peppery psychedelia and flamboyance.

Have to agree with Out Of Control, it's the least uncontrolled pop album of their career.

9. 'Femme Fatale' has never fit the album for me.

10. All Saints - Studio 1 (I understand since the album had that vague nu-ska sound but something more fitting in with the COMEBACK angle would have been much better)
    Black Eyed Peas - The Beginning (emmm....)
    Destiny's Child - The Writing's on the Wall (doesn't that expression only get used in a negative way...)

11. "Music To Make Boys Cry" is a fantastic album title and a pretty good album, but it sounds so polished that it doesn't really evoke any emotions in me other than mild enjoyment.

12. Depeche Mode - Exciter. Their most boring record, full of aimless noodling ballads.

13. BANGERZ is filled with Bangerz. Wrecking Ball is a banger. Not your typical club banger. But a lot of stuff is emotionally banging.

14. Shitney Jean

*ashamed*

15. I always found out ironic that Kelly Clarkson's All I Ever Wanted album was full of songs that she was forced to record by her record label, against her own wishes (I Do Not Hook Up, My Life Would Suck Without You).

16. Lady Gaga - Artpop.. there is nothing artistic about a bunch of generic electro pop songs.

17. Sugababes - Catfights and Spotlights. It seemed to be playing to their tabloid image in a half-hearted way (especially since there's no explicit references to such in the actual album), and is overall a rather odd fit for a pretty consistent and demure album.

Edit: ah, totally overlooked JamesJupiter's post.

18. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I never understood why Robyn used Body Talk as the name for her project, I don't really understand how it fits with all of her songs - I think Fembot or Dancehall Queen would have been better album titles.

19. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

This was the example that immediately came to mind. I almost feel like she did that on purpose, considering the original title was Masquerade. I still wish she had used that title, it actually would've fit with that horrific shiny pink cover!

20. The bodies way of talking/communicating is through dance and movement. Body Talk

- that's what I took from it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.