Albums That Surprised You? | The Popjustice Forum

Albums That Surprised You?

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by bonnieetclyde, Jan 23, 2021.

1. One example from me would be:

[​IMG]

I wasn't a fan of Katie/her music but when I heard she had collaborated with one of my favourite producers on this album (William Orbit), I had to give it a listen.

I was surprised by how good it was and how much I enjoyed it. I listened back to it again recently and it still sounds really fresh, despite being released over ten years ago now.

William Orbit produced all 12 album tracks and although more than a few of the songs are very 'Orbit' in style I never feel like his production takes over, like it has with some other artists. It feels like a real mesh of Katie's ideas and songs and William's ear for smart production. 5 of the tracks were co-written with known Robbie Williams song-writer Guy Chambers and we even have co-writes from Rick Nowels on there too.

From what I've heard of other albums in Katie's discography, this is definitely an anomaly (being a lot more production-lead, upbeat and pop). This is definitely an album I always enjoy listening back to and highly recommend if you've never given it a spin.

2. Natalie Imbruglia - Counting Down The Days

Booers, Slamb, Daniel L and 1 other person like this.
  3. [​IMG]

I found RuPaul's 'Supermodel of the World' on CD in Poundland of all places several years ago and remembered quite liking the singles back in 1993 but wasn't exactly expecting the album to thrill me. But I dig it out from time to time, including this week, as I think it really is a genuinely good, well produced, mostly house music album. There are some tacky pop cliches thrown in but overall it's fairly original, dancey, very 90s, and fun.

idratherjack and Txetxu like this.
  4. Funnily enough, having read the first post I was going to suggest Left Of The Middle. Even though Torn was amazing I wasn't expecting to enjoy an album from Natalie thinking it was just another soap star tuned pop star yet this one was trying to be Alanis, but ever since I got the album in 1998 she's been a fave of mine.

5. [​IMG]

Not really a Beatles fan, but I heard Fuzzbox's cover of Walking on Thin Ice and decided to check the original. I found it so unique it made me want to check out more, so I listened to this album not expecting much. Boy was I wrong. Top-notch musicianship in there which cover well the lacks in her voice. But I also think Ono managed to tone down her singing antics and tried to make an actually listenable album with well-constructed songs, and she succeeded. From the first bars of Goodbye Sadness I was hooked. Nothing she did before or after came close to this IMHO. I listen to it from time to time and it holds up so well.

I've always wanted to buy the Rykodisc CD reissue but it seems to be horribly expensive for some reason.

Fluorocarbon likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.