Alesha Dixon - Fired Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately we can't force people to like 'our' music.

It would be great if we could. I would make a good facist.

CharDog1 said:
Seriously. I love how everyone was praising this track and her like no other, and suddenly now it just "wasn't good enough."

Perhaps the 'Lipstick-bashing' is not coming from the same people who were praising it. I think it's good, but the quality of the song probably has something to do with it's not-too-great predicted chart placing. It is missing something but I can't put my finger on it.

nickinoo said:
CharDog1 said:
Seriously. I love how everyone was praising this track and her like no other, and suddenly now it just "wasn't good enough."

It is missing something but I can't put my finger on it.

A good video? She looks like she's parading through the backdrop of BBC2's hit television series Restoration. Rapping.

I think the video is a strength and a weakness. I can se hy it posibly doesn't have mass appeal (although it did well on music channels) but I really love the concept an think its pretty unique.

I imagine she will be gutted if this is not top 10, there were such high expectations.

I just don't get what it takes to be a "success" nowadays. If you're not top 10 over there, you're dropped, but here is a girl who hit #1 on all the music channels, was being played on Capital and Radio 1, was featured in a bunch of magazines, and is only dangling around in the teens with an above decent pop record. Damn.

swinginglondontown said:
Rob said:
it feels like all the hype calmed down about two weeks ago. Promo was started too early.

I knopw, she did Intermission and Popworld, then nowt. Hardly seen her video on the Freeview music channels either.

She did TOTP too, before it died and if I remember correctly she was on the last Popworld before their Summer break.  They really should try to factor these things into picking release dates.

I am one of the people who love the song and it's really grown on me in the last couple of weeks especially.  Maybe the problem is that it's not quite commercial enough for typical local radio, especially outside of London.  Did she do a radio tour?  

She won't get dropped just yet as she has a Mobo nomination, I'd say she'll get another 2 singles and they will see how that results.

she isnt all the known just the one that raps from mis-teeq, this song isnt good at all, horrible she shuld have worked with misteeqs old producers,,, this style doesnt fit her. the remix of lipstick the ignorants remix wuld have done beta.

I do like Alesha and I can't wait for her album. But that Mobo nomination was a bit of a mockery wasn't it? Nominated for best female on the week that her debut single had only been released.

people really should stop worrying! the response to the single has been great, and polydor have complete faith in this single, the album and any follow up singles everyone at the label is very excited about the album release.

S

Steve

I'm still sure this is only a buzz track to let people know that Alesha from Mis-Teeq is back. I think #14 is quite a good position to build on; hopefully they'll pull out all the stops for the second single.

Arse, I actually had no idea this was out and would have gone and bought it but I've been a bit 'out of the loop' for awhile. I thought it was a very good, distinctive track, unfortunately, there were a whole load of r'n'b tracks blowing over from America at the time (new Beyonce, Rihanna's still kicking around, Nelly Furtado's storming all over the place etc.) and at the risk of sounding like Ian Watkins, the British music media appears to still be licking up to US acts over British ones in a lot of areas, so although Nelly, Rihanna and Beyonce all deserve success/airplay they shouldn't have done it at the expense of Alesha's track, which is equally strong as at least the latter two's.

Hmmm,

these boards are so fickle - LSL was condemned to the dumper after a no. 11 & a no. 13 - Alesha didn't even manage that on the DEBUT single!

It's also a bit blinkered to blame the media support. She's had blanket media coverage and a B listing at Radio 1 is absolutely nothing to be sniffed at.

I really like Lipstick but I can definitely understand why it hasn't connected. It's a fab production but strip away the sound of the track and you're not left with a particularly appealing melody or lyric...

From the Music Week report, how frustrating:

Meanwhile, Alesha’s Lipstick and Ronan Keating’s Iris debut at 14 and 15 on sales of 8,611 and 8,477 both of which would have sufficed to earn them a number 10 debut last week.

Scoodle said:
Hmmm,

these boards are so fickle - LSL was condemned to the dumper after a no. 11 & a no. 13 - Alesha didn't even manage that on the DEBUT single!

Lisa's debut achieved #6; good point!

I agree with whoever said that it's strange how people were praising it until they found out it's midweek and then suddenly it's "not good enough".

Alesha has released a great single and her label will know that it's not as easy for acts like Alesha to get top 10s anymore because of the lack of promotional outlets for her:
-Radio seems to only be playing indie-pop and American artists these days.
-There isn't TOTP/TOTP:Saturday/CDuk/Popworld etc on TV just now for promotion.
-People who like this music will be more likely to download rather than buy, because more often than not people won't be wasting money on acts that wont last long because they get dropped to easily.

I think she'll be fine. I hope so. I think good, british pop music is on it's way back.

Even if it is thanks to that twat Lily Allen.

Calvin said:
Scoodle said:
Hmmm,

Lisa's debut achieved #6; good point!

Yes but Lisa Scott Lee has the sexiness of Venetian blinds and no good songs. Alesha has an interesting sound, look and is talented. We're pissed off that she flopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.