Alexandra Burke - Heartbreak On Hold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alexandra Burke - Heartbreak On Hold (June 5)

Alot of British artists I like Cocknbullkid, Estelle, Natalia Kills, Jamie Woon, Nathan do not get radio support but I never thought Alex would be in that boat. Why would anyone intentionally want to hurt her career especially at Capital.

I like Let it Go...but backtrack to last era and compare Elephant and Let It Go to Bad Boys and Broken Heels. There's no competition, Overcome curbstomps this era in quality.

There's a whole host of factors, really. I'd say a major one is that she's waited too long from the Overcome era to move over to this. The sad truth about X Factor acts so far is that they have a pretty quick expiration date (but you stan for Cher Lloyd, what kind of self drag? etc). You can see it with JLS, Leona, Shayne- the 'old guard'- dying down, and Cher, One Direction, Olly Murs- the new lot- taking over. JLS were at least able to keep fresh in the public's minds through constant Rihanna-style releases. The momentum never died. Leona released a substantive amount of decent material on the Spirit re-release that kept people captivated...and then dipped a little with Echo before falling out the game totally with Glassheart. Alexandra's done what...Start Without You, a summer song with a lasting impact of about a month, and The Silence, something that's been out forever and a day. Other than that...we've heard absolutely zilch all from her, music-wise. People have moved on to new pastures, and those pastures don't have Alexandra there.

The public have only a certain 'stanning' capacity. They just go and buy whatever's promoted on the X Factor that week or whatever Radio 1 blasts out on the way to work. That Alexandra's failed to strike while the iron was hot and kept herself and her music at the forefront of a very fickle public's mindset is no fault but her own.

Last edited:
It's by no means a bad song, but it is still her worst single. I'd imagine it was a good choice regarding to the personal issues in her life though. Good to get on stage and sing "Let it go".

I like Let it Go...but backtrack to last era and compare Elephant and Let It Go to Bad Boys and Broken Heels. There's no competition, Overcome curbstomps this era in quality.

Well, for me Let It Go is several steps over Broken Heels, and both of them are superior to Start Without You.

D

Deleted member 3416

The song is definitely one of her more least interesting singles, Elephant was much better. I do think from the sound of things, Overcome is a much stronger album too.

I guess as she is executive producer she doesn't really have anyone to blame for the standard of material but herself.

There's a whole host of factors, really. I'd say a major one is that she's waited too long from the Overcome era to move over to this. The sad truth about X Factor acts so far is that they have a pretty quick expiration date

I think you're right with your second point, absolutely. The first one...well, yes, the first era was better, but I think it's less to do with quality and more to do with this new material being so generic. Start Without You was a complete joke of a song but it was still a big hit, which shows that quality doesn't necessarily matter in the charts as long as you stand out. The Saturdays are having a similar problem at the moment - both acts are chasing the dance trend, but the music is so samey that no one is that interested.

I think possibly the biggest part of the problem is with her management strategy though. If I didn't follow pop music quite avidly I wouldn't even know Alex had a new single, let alone that it's out this week. Where is she?! And, more to the point, where is the song? It's just not on the public's radar.

'Let it Go' is a nice album track. Nothing more. It doesn't do enough to stand out; it quite happily just sits there and doesn't hold any power. 'Elephant' on the other hand commanded attention, which is why I think it did better. 'Let It Go' is nice and I do like it, but it just isn't enough to get people to sit up and take notice of her again considering as jinzo has already said, she's been away for ages.

L

LoveLockdown

That's true. I like it, but it ought to have been a track, that's it. I think the 2nd single should've been Fire or Oh La La.

Let It Go is multiple times better than Elephant for me.

It's such a catchy, euphoric song, which Elephant was quite dull.

The reason it is under-performing is the the radio snub (and no high profile tv appearance) not the quality of the song.

I quite like Alex, but I can't help myself. I keep humming:

Let it flop, flop, flop, flop
Let it all flop
Let it flop, flop, flop, flop
Let it all flop

icon11.png

It's frustrating that the media isn't on her side, has something gone on behind the scenes do we think? I just don't get why she's seemingly being purposefully ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.