Alexandra Burke

R

Resi12

The single will be released on CD in shops this Wednesday 17th December and is backed by ‘Candyman’ and ‘Without You’, two audience favourites from Alexandra’s time on the show.

Didn't know that, Well as least it's value for money!

D

debord

Isn't the single £3.99? That for 3 tracks isn't 'value for money'.

I actually can't even remember her doing 'Without You''. 'Candyman' was great though.

I think with an album deadline of march it's fortunate that alex won. Leon has a lot to answer for but alex genuinely has agood musicality and phrasing so producers actually have something to work with. I also think that this year had too many good people who they will want to capitalise on before next year starts hence bringing release date forward again. Poor shayne ward, all those songs leona couldn't find time to record which simon had earmarked for him have probably been snatched back again!

debord said:
Isn't the single £3.99? That for 3 tracks isn't 'value for money'.

I actually can't even remember her doing 'Without You''. 'Candyman' was great though.

Mariah Carey Week or The Week Laura Was Shit And Got Voted Off And People Blamed Ruth 'Savage Tits' Lorenzo.

Resi12 said:
The single will be released on CD in shops this Wednesday 17th December and is backed by ‘Candyman’ and ‘Without You’, two audience favourites from Alexandra’s time on the show.

Didn't know that, Well as least it's value for money!

Not value for money at all. She won't have gone and recorded them in a studio, it'll just be the audio of her X Factor performances.

I think it's quite indicative that she'll record Listen though, for reelz.

As an aside, I got bored and wrote my own Hallelujah verse. Brownie points for anyone that can tell me what it's based on:

Your love was never left behind,
But one that time could never find,
Loved before you even knew she knew ya.
Well she saw you caged, she saw you bare,
She held you in your frozen chair,
A brief but everlasting Hallelujah.

D

DiscoWenchy83

Always interesting to read interpretation of song lyrics, I really enjoy seeing how differently people see things! I did read somewhere that Cohen wrote almost 80 verses for Hallelujah, and has sung different versions to different audiences - which makes it even harder to really know the true meaning.

I love it when something is open to interpretation - because then the song becomes more personal, as you attribute your own meaning to it.

Fucking probably isn't far off the mark though.

unnameable said:
Actually, the second verse's lyrics combine metaphors from two of the Old Testament's biggest tales of sexual desire causing ruin: David and Bathsheba, and Samson and Delilah.

The first verse is about songwriting, and references King David (what with him having written a lot of the psalms).

Verse two "Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you" references David & Bathsheba (in the bible - King David sees Bathsheba bathing on the roof, is driven mad with lust, sends her soldier husband to the frontline to get killed, then shags the beautiful widow. God is upset and kills their firstborn child.)

next part of verse two "She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah" references Samson & Delilah (Samson can kill hundreds of enemies with his epic strength, but his strength is in his hair. Delilah seduces the secret out of him, gets him drunk, cuts his hair, robs his strength, he then gets captured by enemies and blinded. God takes pity on him and allows him one final feat of strength to bring down the pillars supporting the building he and his enemies are in).

Verses three to six are about love and sex and use religious imagery a lot.

Verse four - "There was a time you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
And remember when I moved in you
The holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah"
is pretty much undeniably talking about fucking, but in religious terms. Mr Cohen, in his usual poetic style, leaves a fair amount of room for interpretation throughout the song.

To be fair, I respect Leonard Cohen for the fact that he used his decade of experience as a poet before he became a singer/songwriter to help with his songs, and so for a song like Hallelujah he's been quoted as saying he wrote about 30 verses and cut it down to the best six, as editing is a crucial part of songwriting.

Wow... I was wondering what the song actually meant earlier today... Thanks!

R

Resi12

Woot it's number 1 here in Ireland, Jeff Buckley's version is at number 9.
Quite a gap.

H

Hot_Mess29

Does anyone know how many units shes sold so far? I hope its considerably more than jeff buckly to shut up all those 50 year old x factor haterz.

AndThenWeKiss said:
Does anyone know how many units shes sold so far? I hope its considerably more than jeff buckly to shut up all those 50 year old x factor haterz.

This will shut them up - I couldn't help but laugh when i was on the train last night coming home from work, cos i grabbed the London Lite paper and began reading through it - and it said that Simon Cowell had brought the rights to the Halleuljah song, which means not only is he making money out of Alexandra's version, but also Jeff Buckley and the other one floating around. So all those people that have brought Jeff Buckley as a two fingers at Simon - have gone and made him even richer

Knightr634 said:
AndThenWeKiss said:

This will shut them up - I couldn't help but laugh when i was on the train last night coming home from work, cos i grabbed the London Lite paper and began reading through it - and it said that Simon Cowell had brought the rights to the Halleuljah song, which means not only is he making money out of Alexandra's version, but also Jeff Buckley and the other one floating around. So all those people that have brought Jeff Buckley as a two fingers at Simon - have gone and made him even richer

Ha ha. He might be dreadful but he's also dreadfully good at business.

R

Resi12

Kirkland said:
Knightr634 said:
AndThenWeKiss said:

Ha ha. He might be dreadful but he's also dreadfully good at business.

He is making £250,000 a day apparently from it..

Alphableat said:
I'm no graphic artist, but these images are fun to play with.

Alexandra-Toxic.jpg

To say your no graphic artist that is pretty damn good!

Manila Chinchila said:
This may be me, but does anyone else see Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah twice in the UK iTunes top 10? A #2 and #9?

Yeah there are 2 versions on itunes, but Alex will defently get the christmas #1 tonight!

H

Hot_Mess29

i hope this chart show isnt full of christmas songs, i only wanna hear TLV radio edit and alexandra beat jeff.