Alexandra Burke

Burke: 'I don't want to sing covers'

Sunday, December 21 2008, 10:52 GMT

By Daniel Kilkelly, Entertainment Reporter
Burke: 'I don't want to sing covers'

X Factor winner Alexandra Burke has confirmed that she wants to follow in the footsteps of Leona Lewis by working with top producers in the US.

The 20-year-old singer revealed that she is hoping to spend time creating a quality debut album next year rather than rush-releasing a collection of covers.

Simon Cowell is currently on his Christmas holiday in Barbados but will discuss his plans for Burke in a telephone call with the star within the next few days.

"Simon flew to Barbados the day after X Factor - very nice! So we have not spoken since," Burke told the Sunday Mirror. "But I'm supposed to call him and talk things over.

"I don't just want to sing a load of covers. I would like to do what Leona Lewis did and go over to Los Angeles and work with producers. I've got to persuade Simon that's the best idea."

Burke also confirmed reports that mentor Cheryl Cole has encouraged her to stay away from men while she builds up her career.

She said: "Cheryl has been telling me to stay away from boys. She said, 'Take this chance with both hands while you've got it. Don't have one hand being led astray.'"

Charley! said:
For someone who was quite dull in the show, she became quite mouthy after winning, didn't she?

Rather have someone like Will Young who wants a say in how their career goes than a complete puppet.

Charley

Staff member
Well.. yeah...

Don't get me wrong, I like Alexandra and, even though I was backing Ruth, I'm glad she won. But she wasn't that interesting as a person, though. I can think of 'I was booted off in 2005', 'It made me who I am today' and 'I want to win it to have a better life for me and my family', but that's about it.

Now she's telling it all like it is in a frank yet non-arrogant way, seemingly unafraid to upset the Cowell machine or whomever. And not just in this article, but it's something I've noticed ever since she won. *cue 'Breaking Free'*

And that's a good thing.

Is anyone pre-ordering that 2-disc special edition album?

I just heard her talking on radio one now after getting the number one & I don't know, I can't put my finger on it but she didn't sound too ecstatic as such.

I know it's pretty sure fire you're going to get the Xmas number one after X Factor but it kinda seemed as though she's been used to the idea for a long time now & knew it was coming, rather than what you would have expected someone to sound like after winning such a big thing in the past week or so.

I don't know, it all sounded very wierd but to be honest, I don't trust X factor when it comes to genuinity anyway.

Everytime finalists are in the show it's always people that are or already have been in the game with connections, I don't think the Joe public have a chance in hell really, they are just used to make the in between parts on the show to make the show.

F

Former member 330

7 of the 10 tracks in the top 10 are related to X Factor... contestant/performed on recently... sickening.

The way she was talking just sounded like she knew this was going to happen a long time ago.

Maybe it's just me but it's the impression I got, you'll be able to listen back on Radio Ome's site anyway & judge for yourselves if you didn't hear it.

daveblackwell2k4 said:
The way she was talking just sounded like she knew this was going to happen a long time ago.

Maybe it's just me but it's the impression I got, you'll be able to listen back on Radio Ome's site anyway & judge for yourselves if you didn't hear it.

She probably did? I don't see what's so bad about that. She sold more on day one than Buckley sold all week.

I thought she sounded really enthusiastic about getting started on her actual career. She seems to know what she wants to do and I think that's great. More important than getting overexcited by the formality of accepting the Christmas number one.

D

Deleted member 2720

anfunny2003 said:
7 of the 10 tracks in the top 10 are related to X Factor... contestant/performed on recently... sickening.

oh dear........ I gave up listening to the top 40 about 5 years ago.
The top 40 just seems so pointless since the changes with the download rules and the demise of TOTP.... It's all very depressing.

There has always been a lot of crap in the top 40 but it just seems to get worse.....

anfunny2003 said:

Why though? Because they are only popular right now because they were used in a cynical entertainment machine?

I don't see why it is "sickening" so many songs in the Top 10 are related to The X Factor. It's not really surprising given it is one of the only TV shows which allows music to be prompted to a prime-time audience, and a huge audience at that.

If she didn't seem surprised, then can anybody really blame her? If you look at the sales figures, her nearest rival Jeff Buckley got about 80,000 whilst she sold in excess of 500,000. Surely she'd have been kept somewhat up to date about sales figures each day and there was obviously no way anyone was going to catch her up.

For the Jeff Buckley version to have made Number 1, I read somewhere that it would have taken each of the 137,000~ish people in the Facebook group to have bought the song over 4 times each. Clearly not everyone who 'joined' their campaign did buy even one copy as a quick glimpse at the group reveals quite a few people seemed to have bought multiple copies.

D

Deleted member 2720

anfunny2003 said:

To be honest I do not follow the charts but if this is true then it's a very sad day for the charts. It's fine that a TV show winner has a top 10 hit, but Jesus what is wrong with the British having a bit of creativity when it comes to listening and buying music? There are lots of great acts out there why do people just put up with the bland uninspiring stuff the majority of tv and radio throws at us? I see your point anfunny2003.
In my opinion the best Christmas number one we ever had was The Human League's 'Don't You want me'.

Alphableat said:
daveblackwell2k4 said:

She probably did? I don't see what's so bad about that. She sold more on day one than Buckley sold all week.

I thought she sounded really enthusiastic about getting started on her actual career. She seems to know what she wants to do and I think that's great. More important than getting overexcited by the formality of accepting the Christmas number one.

I mean she didnt seem like someone who's just wont this a week ago, like she knew & was prepard for this to happen AAAGES ago!!!

daveblackwell2k4 said:
Alphableat said:
daveblackwell2k4 said:

I mean she didnt seem like someone who's just wont this a week ago, like she knew & was prepard for this to happen AAAGES ago!!!

Well kudos to you for being able to understand someones tone of voice so deeply...

Pye said:
anfunny2003 said:

oh dear........ I gave up listening to the top 40 about 5 years ago.
The top 40 just seems so pointless since the changes with the download rules and the demise of TOTP.... It's all very depressing.

The download rules is one of the best thigns to happen to the charts, it's more about what the public want rather than what label think we wanted & got it wrong years & years on end, thinking all we wanted was teeny little crappy manufactured pop acts.

TOTP's though I agree with but thats back anyway now, everything is coming back great!

Slowly but surely.

JoshJB said:
If she didn't seem surprised, then can anybody really blame her? If you look at the sales figures, her nearest rival Jeff Buckley got about 80,000 whilst she sold in excess of 500,000. Surely she'd have been kept somewhat up to date about sales figures each day and there was obviously no way anyone was going to catch her up.

This is what people are not listening to, she didn;t sound like someone who won a competition only a week ago, it's as though she knew a long time ago this was going to happen, this is what I mean.

It dont matter how securely you know you have the number one spot, if you had just won X Factor as she did, you would have that element of "I cant believe it" thing going down still.

She didn't.

Pye said:
anfunny2003 said:

In my opinion the best Christmas number one we ever had was The Human League's 'Don't You want me'.

Was that a xmas number one?, that was number one when a friend of mine was born & thats in June.

Or am i missing the sarcasm here lol

Alphableat said:
daveblackwell2k4 said:
Alphableat said:
daveblackwell2k4 said:

Well kudos to you for being able to understand someones tone of voice so deeply...

thanks

daveblackwell2k4 said:
Pye said:
anfunny2003 said:

Was that a xmas number one?, that was number one when a friend of mine was born & thats in June.
Are you sure they didn't mean it was the x-mas number 1 in the year they were born?