Alexandra Burke

D

Deleted member 2720

daveblackwell2k4 said:
Pye said:
anfunny2003 said:
7 of the 10 tracks in the top 10 are related to X Factor... contestant/performed on recently... sickening.

In my opinion the best Christmas number one we ever had was The Human League's 'Don't You want me'.

Was that a xmas number one?, that was number one when a friend of mine was born & thats in June.

Or am i missing the sarcasm here lol

No, it was defo a xmas number one.

R

Resi12

AMAZING

"X Factor champion Alexandra Burke has topped the Christmas singles chart with her version of 'Hallelujah'.

Burke's recording of the Leonard Cohen classic sold 576,000 copies last week, outselling the rest of the top 20 combined.

Its sales tally makes it the fastest-selling single by a female artist in UK chart history, beating the previous record held by Leona Lewis and 'A Moment Like This'.

"This is absolutely crazy, I can't believe it. It's been the best week of my life," Burke said. "Thank you so much to everyone that has supported me and bought the single. I'm bursting with excitement right now, it's incredible!"

Jeff Buckley's interpretation of 'Hallelujah' - taken from the late singer's 1994 album Grace - sold 81,000 copies to chart in second place, while Leona Lewis sold 72,000 copies of 'Run' to claim third position.

Meanwhile, Beyoncé places two singles in the festive top ten, climbing to four with 'If I Were A Boy' and zooming to eight with 'Listen', the Dreamgirls ballad she sang with Burke on last week's X Factor final.

Peter Kay's alter ego Geraldine McQueen bows at five with yuletide offering 'Once Upon A Christmas Song'."

Pye said:
daveblackwell2k4 said:
Pye said:
anfunny2003 said:
7 of the 10 tracks in the top 10 are related to X Factor... contestant/performed on recently... sickening.

In my opinion the best Christmas number one we ever had was The Human League's 'Don't You want me'.

Was that a xmas number one?, that was number one when a friend of mine was born & thats in June.

Or am i missing the sarcasm here lol

No, it was defo a xmas number one.

Yeah it was December 1981, wow.

F

Former member 330

Resi12 said:
Its sales tally makes it the fastest-selling single by a female artist in UK chart history

Lord. She's barely an artist. It's a cover. It's X Factor. This record has not sold because she is an artistic tour de force or a musical genius or because it's a classic debut single. What are people buying here? Is it talent or some sort've Miley Cyrus 'reality character off the telly made a record' hype? Do people seriously play this record at home? I find it hard to understand. My family, all 50+, will probably rave about her at Christmas, as they did with Leona... but I just don't get it.

D

Deleted member 2720

I am starting to think that even if a x factor winner released a song of them just breaking wind into a jar, it would still hit the top of the charts..... oh just a thought maybe that's going to be the next single!
Anfunny I think you will also find that the people who buy this sort of stuff very rarely buy music, mum's, grannies etc. I always say it's music for people who do not really like music..... it's for people who watch television!

Pye said:
anfunny2003 said:

To be honest I do not follow the charts but if this is true then it's a very sad day for the charts. It's fine that a TV show winner has a top 10 hit, but Jesus what is wrong with the British having a bit of creativity when it comes to listening and buying music? There are lots of great acts out there why do people just put up with the bland uninspiring stuff the majority of tv and radio throws at us? I see your point anfunny2003.

Well to be fair, the poster makes it seem as if 7 of the top 10 are contestants from The X Factor which is not true. The top 10 was:

1. Alexandra Burke - Hallelujah
2. Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
3. Leona Lewis - Run
4. Beyonce - If I Were A Boy
5. Geraldine - Once Upon A Christmas Song
6. James Morrisson feat. Nelly Futardo - Broken Strings
7. Kings of Leon - Use Somebody
8. Beyonce - Listen
9. Take That - Britney
10. Britney Spears - Womanizer

Beyonce, James Morisson, Kings of Leon, Take That and Britney would all have been in the charts X Factor or no X Factor. To say that the acts who performed on The X Factor are related to The X Factor is like saying that Top of the Pops decided the charts when the acts who performed on there ended up in the top 10. Jeff Buckely and Geraldine were never at any point even mentioned on The X Factor so you can't really blame the show for them being there. Which leaves Alexandra, Leona and a Beyonce song that was performed in a duet by the people who are at number one and number four on the charts. To me that seems fair enough and hardly constitutes "dominance" of the charts.

And if it is all down to the public being deluded and buying whatever they are told to buy then why are Alex's first week sales over twice those of Leon last year?

Britney wouldn't have been, she would have well been out by now, and Jeff Buckley wouldn't have been anywhere to be seen, neither would have Beyonce with either of those songs, and TT performed.

The only totally unrelated songs are James, Geraldine and KOL

James:D said:
Britney wouldn't have been, she would have well been out by now, and Jeff Buckley wouldn't have been anywhere to be seen, neither would have Beyonce with either of those songs, and TT performed.

But you could argue that ITV helped James Morrsion as the song was performed on the GAP. Plus Geraldine wouldn't exist if X Factor didn't. So technically, it's only KOL that are unrelated

H

Hot_Mess29

Jord said:

But you could argue that ITV helped James Morrsion as the song was performed on the GAP. Plus Geraldine wouldn't exist if X Factor didn't. So technically, it's only KOL that are unrelated

I thought we were talking about x-factor, not itv in general, lots of artists promote on itv.

Yeah, I suppose they wouldn't have been in the top 10 if they didn't do any promotion.

It is clear we must ban artists from doing any promotion in order to preserve the musical integrity of our charts.

But seriously, "James Morrisson's single got played on an ad on ITV therefore it is related to The X Factor" is a bit of a stretch. We might as well say "The Kings of Leon single is a song therefore it is related to The X Factor" and be done with it.

To be fair, James Morrison did perform the track during the Girls Aloud Party - and so clearly benefited from the exposure on a show hammocked between the X Factor final and its results show.

Charley

Staff member
Indeed.

Why is it 'OH NO THE HORROR IT WAS ON X FACTOR' and 'Yay for artistic integrity it was on The Girls Aloud Party'?

I don't get what all this fuss is about anyway. It just means 'The X Factor' is the number one television show and reaches the largest audience, therefor being the best promo an artist could ask for.

anfunny2003 said:
Resi12 said:
Its sales tally makes it the fastest-selling single by a female artist in UK chart history

Lord. She's barely an artist. It's a cover. It's X Factor. This record has not sold because she is an artistic tour de force or a musical genius or because it's a classic debut single. What are people buying here? Is it talent or some sort've Miley Cyrus 'reality character off the telly made a record' hype? Do people seriously play this record at home? I find it hard to understand. My family, all 50+, will probably rave about her at Christmas, as they did with Leona... but I just don't get it.

No one has said Alexandra was a tour de force or a musical genius or called it a classic debut single (OK, I'm sure SOME people have, but no one I know personally). I'm sure even Alexandra knows the only reason that she sold half a million copies last week was because she had just won a TV show that 12 million people watched (and that means A LOT of the people who watched the show didn't buy the single). Now the question becomes is she going to be able to replicate that success or will this be a one-time thing. But it is a FACT that she sold more copies of her single than the rest of the top 20 combined, and it is a FACT that her sales were quicker than any other female singer/artist/ you name the word in history. Whether the song is a classical aria, a Xenomania pop song, or Alexandra whistling and clicking her teeth together, you can't take the accomplishment away from her.

What was with the horrific clumpy piano opening of Hallelujah on the X Factor that made it sound like some sort of school christmas concert?

I find some of your rants here strange. Aren't you glad that there is a primetime show which features music and gets people buying it again?

Is it OK for an artist to get exposure on e.g. the now defunct CDUK but not on The X Factor? Would someone care to explain why?

And as for the 'music for people who don't like music' argument, that's the kind of muso shit that usually isn't welcome on these boards. I'm surprised it's rearing its ugly head now, least of all on a board that a few weeks ago had a topic extolling the virtues of Dido who, rightly or wrongly, could be viewed by some as a very good example of such a genre.

D

Deleted member 2720

Maureen said:
And as for the 'music for people who don't like music' argument, that's the kind of muso shit that usually isn't welcome on these boards.

Yes, that's my opinion or do you think people's opinions should be suppressed just because they are not the same as yours.....

D

Deleted member 2720

Maureen said:
Absolutely not, but it's such a cliched, snobbish load of old shit. I'd be embarrassed to have such an opinion.

Very mature throwing insults at fellow posters just because they do not share the same opinions.