Alice Merton - No Roots | The Popjustice Forum

Alice Merton - No Roots

Discussion in 'Potential next big things' started by backstreetjoe, Dec 6, 2016.

1. A bit bluesy but there's a pop chorus in there too.

LE0Night likes this.
  2. It's big in Germany now and I somehow ended up loving it although I completely disliked it at first.

Telling this to nobody since no one cares about that song at all over here.

LE0Night likes this.
  3. Randomly heard this on the radio the other day and I'm seeing this came out in December 2016? How random. Also a bit weird that this is still the only song she's released. It's pretty good though.

Edit: Wait????

Also #43 on Pop at the moment. We love a random hit, I guess?

LE0Night likes this.

4. A bhøpp.

[​IMG]

5. My parents heard this on the radio a few months ago and told me about it. I both loved the song and loved the fact that my parents could give me a solid song recommendation (a real throwback to when my dad recommended Tori Amos to me in high school as I obsessed over Fiona Apple, they're true allies)

6. Really like this one.

7. I really dont like all of the 3 singles. At all!

But the 3 other songs of her EP are sooooo good. It almost kills me that they dissapear somewhere while the bad singles get promotion.

8. Her debut LP "Mint" is out on January 18th.

9. Does anyone else get basic (as in less overproduced=) "Black Magic" vibes from this?

This came on the radio earlier and I immediately knew it was her. Her voice is distinctive and so are her lyrics. I think she carved out a really nice niche for herself. It's just so weird how everything after "No Roots" flopped spectacularly, despite radio support.

miss anthropop likes this.
  10. Funny Business is a bit of a bop after a few listens. I find her stuff just a hair shy of underproduced, though. It needs some more layers, some choir, some strings. But I love her voice and the general direction of her music.

11. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

Funny Business isn't available on Apple Music. Or to be more specific, the track is "available" from the album, but the actual file hasn't been uploaded, and trying to play it just plays a second of silence.

Mess.

12. 'Funny Business' has quickly become one of my favorite songs from her. Killer single. Checked the credits and it's co-written and co-produced by John Hill, wow.

She's also announced the final cover of her album, Mint, out January 18th. I kinda hate it lol.

Anyway, pre-order!

Island and miss anthropop like this.
  13. I didn't like the green brick wall cover, but... I prefer it to that? It looks like a tea commercial.

14. Very excited for the new record!

15. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

The album's good, but not great. I get the impression it was rushed because the production isn't as rich as it feels like it should be, and a lot of the lyrics are pretty unimaginative.

Learn to Live, I Don't Hold a Grudge and Trouble in Paradise are worth a listen, but I can't say I'd recommend the album as a whole.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  16. Speak Your Mind is the one for me. That swirling, barely-there synth on the bridge is gorgeous. I Don't Hold a Grudge and Trouble in Paradise are good, too.

The album's a little heavy on strutting bids for singles and I would have loved a few more introspective songs to break things up, but overall it's a pretty strong collection. Does she say anywhere why it's called Mint?

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  17. The album is totally fine. The singles are the strongest tracks by far, but maybe the rest will grow on me. "Learn To Live" is a great opener, and it reminds me a bit of HAIM (the drums for one). I do wish she had better artwork, though.

18. It's solid with a group of growers on it, certainly the ones mentioned above but my God I can't help but hear a stark difference between something like "Lash Out" and the rest. What an anthem.

OspreyQueen likes this.
  19. I adore her album. I don't think I can pick a fave, but I Don't Hold A Grudge, Speak Your Mind, No Roots and Honeymoon Heartbreak are all great. Really happy I discovered this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.