Allie X - Girl with No Face

"Weird World" out soon.

View attachment 50691

Oh she's fully leaning into her high fashion editorial The Grudge momenT. An Anja Rubik by Mert and Marcus oolong:
mert-and-marcus-ghost-fashion-spring-2015-13.jpg

Weird world is good! Doesn't reach the highs of Tits or Black Eye (and people have to stop rhyming girl with world... maybe try unfurl next time? ) , but I'm generally loving the sound she's going for!

I didn't bother with train tickets, so I'm ready for the album to slap me in the face tomorrow

Besides what’s been released so far, I think Galina and You Slept On Me are obvious highlights. I initially struggled with John and Jonathan but it has grown on me a lot. Hardware Software was the weak point but it’s weirdness has warmed to me and this is a skip less album

Wow. This album is so good. (I gave it a very brief runthrough when it leaked, but honestly didn't return to it or bother much with the pre-release singles and figured I'd just wait.)

As I've stated many times before, I adore albums that commit to a mood or a "vibe", and Allie fully commits to that '80s goth pop/new wave sound and runs with it in a very creative way. She has a few obvious bops for the gays, a few left-field tracks that are clearly more polarizing, and a few introspective ones for good measure. Her use of chord changes and unexpected melodic shifts are a favorite characteristic of the album for me, and that production...? This is self-produced?! It's exquisite and so true to the source material that inspired her.

I admit to not quite clicking with her music before this album outside of a handful of songs, but she hooked me with a full album here. I don't dislike anything and the sequencing is so tastefully done that I don't feel the need to skip anything, but that 2nd half (or Side B) is straight up 5/5 for me.

Top 5: Black Eye, Staying Power, You Slept On Me, Saddest Smile, Truly Dreams [or] Girl With No Face

Last edited: