Aly & AJ - a touch of the beat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread for the EPs is closing in on 100 pages, so this seemed appropriate ahead of the lead single's release in two weeks.

EW can exclusively reveal that on Dec. 2, the duo will be releasing the currently untitled collection’s first single, “Slow Dancing."

Now you’ll be releasing your first full album in over 13 years, that’s exciting!
AJ
: ... It's been 13 years since a full album came out from us, and we ended up with more material than we ever expected. Aly and I are planning on releasing a pretty hefty record, but we plan on doing it a little differently than we have in the past, where we really introduce people to the sound before the album comes out by releasing quite a few singles. So we'll release our first single in December. And then shortly after that, we'll just continue popping off singles until spring of 2021 when we release the full album.
https://ew.com/music/aly-aj-potential-breakup-song-tiktok-new-album/

A summary of what they've told us so far:
  • A deluxe version will follow the album's release
  • ~16 tracks (likely split over the standard & deluxe)
  • Moving away from their 80s/synth influences "taking inspiration instead from Ray LaMontagne, The War on Drugs, My Morning Jacket, Jackson C. Frank, The National" "music from the '90s, music from the '60s and '70s".

Last edited:
Beyond excited for this.

The fact that they have released just 2 singles since January and they’re still in my top artists this year says everything. Phew, they did that.

But Joan of Arc is their weakest release so far teebs. Ready for a slightly new sound from them.

I'm excited for them to switch up the sonic direction a little, but I really hope they stick with whoever produced Take Me & Church for 1-2 songs at least, because they truly are excellent together.
Even though it sounds like a big departure in sound from the snippet, they are working with a lot of the same collaborators. Yves Rothman (Church, Star Maps & Not Ready To Wake Up) & Sadpony (SM & NRTWU) are involved in this one.

They also confirmed Jamie Sierota (Ten Years) has two cuts on the album.

Last edited:
Even though it sounds like a big departure in sound from the snippet, they are working with a lot of the same collaborators. Yves Rothman (Church, Star Maps & Not Ready To Wake Up) & Sadpony (SM & NRTWU) are involved in this one.

They also confirmed Jamie Sierota (Ten Years) has two cuts on the album.

Oh, perfect! Thrilled to hear this. Thank you!

It’s kinda insane that they hopped on TikTok in the middle of Potential Breakup Song going mildly viral and already have 4x the followers there as they do on Instagram, plus 3 million likes on their first two videos. I have no idea how inflated those numbers are but I’m glad they’re launching this album campaign while they’re getting this kind of engagement. TikTok could end up being the most important thing to happen to the music industry since streaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.