Aly & AJ: The Discography Rate (1.5 WEEKS TO VOTE) | The Popjustice Forum

Aly & AJ: The Discography Rate (1.5 WEEKS TO VOTE)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RainOnFire, Jun 16, 2020.

1. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

[​IMG]

ALY & AJ: THE DISCOGRAPHY RATE

We’re here to recognize and rate the true talent of the Disney crop, Aly & AJ. The sister duo have always been a bit of an anomaly when discussing the Disney girls, namely for the fact that they never had a Disney Channel sitcom backing them up the way the other girls before and after them had. Despite being overshadowed and underappreciated, they still managed to score the very first Platinum-certified, Top 20 hit by a Disney act. Talent!

After two albums released with Hollywood Records, they went through a bit of a rough decade. They split with their label over differing ideas for their third album; they went through an ill-advised rebrand to 78violet (which was thankfully short-lived); an entire album was recorded independently, a single was released, but then the album was shelved.

They finally made a proper comeback in 2017 with a new sonic direction and a new EP. Their sound may have changed, but the quality of their music has remained consistent. Their Disney albums still hold up remarkably well, their shelved album was pretty great, and it's no secret that their recent EPs have been fantastic. And now we get to rate them all!

~

A few ground rules:

1) I highly doubt anyone is going to take time out of their day to troll an Aly & AJ rate, but I still have to warn against doing it.

2) As per usual, one special song gets a score of 11. Remaining songs can be scored from 0 to 10, with half points being allowed as well.

3) In terms of commentary: I would really like this rate to be super fun and super quick, and I'd like to pump the results out in a timely manner without the need for a long writeup. That being said, I don't mind if you want to share the reasoning behind your 11 or your 10s, or if you have a story connected to any other song. I just ask that if you share commentary, it's meaningful. Also as we've seen, the thread moves a lot faster when you post your own comments; just something to keep in mind.

4) Please send your scores to me by JULY 13. That's four weeks for 60 songs, which I feel like is more than manageable. (1 album per week, and then the two EPs + extras the final week. Easy as that.) I would like to not have to extend the deadline, give or take a day or two.​

2. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

[​IMG]

SONG LIST

[​IMG]

INTO THE RUSH
    Rush
    No One
    Collapsed
    Something More
    On the Ride
    Speak for Myself
    Out of the Blue
    In a Second
    I Am One of Them
    Sticks & Stones
    Protecting Me
    Slow Down
    Do You Believe In Magic?
    Walking On Sunshine
    Chemicals React
    Shine
    Never Far Behind

[​IMG]

INSOMNIATIC
    Potential Breakup Song
    Bullseye
    Closure
    Division
    Like It Or Leave It
    Like Whoa
    Insomniatic
    Silence
    If I Could Have You Back
    Blush
    Flattery
    I’m Here
    Careful With Words
    Tears

[​IMG]

HOTHOUSE
    Hothouse
    Blow My House Down
    Crawl
    Boy
    Fifteen & a Half
    5 Damn Days
    Heart
    Little Notes
    Freak
    Hole In the Earth
    8 Hours
    53rd Floor
    Today

[​IMG]

TEN YEARS
    Take Me
    I Know
    Promises
    The Distance
    Good Love
    With You

[​IMG]

SANCTUARY
    Church
    Don’t Go Changing
    Star Maps
    Not Ready to Wake Up
    Sanctuary

[​IMG]

EXTRAS
    Greatest Time of Year
    Not This Year
    Belong Here
    Attack of Panic
    Joan of Arc On the Dance Floor

~

Into the Rush
    Rush –
    No One –
    Collapsed –
    Something More –
    On the Ride –
    Speak for Myself –
    Out of the Blue –
    In a Second –
    I Am One of Them –
    Sticks & Stones –
    Protecting Me –
    Slow Down –
    Do You Believe In Magic? –
    Walking On Sunshine –
    Chemicals React –
    Shine –
    Never Far Behind –

Insomniatic
    Potential Breakup Song –
    Bullseye –
    Closure –
    Division –
    Like It Or Leave It –
    Like Whoa –
    Insomniatic –
    Silence –
    If I Could Have You Back –
    Blush –
    Flattery –
    I’m Here –
    Careful With Words –
    Tears –

Hothouse
    Hothouse –
    Blow My House Down –
    Crawl –
    Boy –
    Fifteen & a Half –
    5 Damn Days –
    Heart –
    Little Notes –
    Freak –
    Hole In the Earth –
    8 Hours –
    53rd Floor –
    Today –

Ten Years
    Take Me –
    I Know –
    Promises –
    The Distance –
    Good Love –
    With You –

Sanctuary
    Church –
    Don’t Go Changing –
    Star Maps –
    Not Ready to Wake Up –
    Sanctuary –

Extras
    Greatest Time of Year –
    Not This Year –
    Belong Here –
    Attack of Panic –
    Joan of Arc On the Dance Floor –

Not available on Spotify:

Chemicals React
    Shine
    Never Far Behind

Blush
    Careful With Words
    Tears

Blow My House Down
    Crawl
    Boy
    Fifteen & a Half
    5 Damn Days
    Heart
    Little Notes
    Freak
    Hole In the Earth
    8 Hours
    53rd Floor
    Today

These are alternate versions withs slightly different production; they don't need to be rated separately, they're just here to check out if you want/need help deciding on scores.
    Chemicals React
    Something More
    Collapsed

3. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

[​IMG]

LEADERBOARD

TBA​

4. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

5. FUUUUUUCK Yes I'm so ready for this! Aly & AJ are now pretty much tied with Miley as my favorite Disney act, and they just manage to technically beat her for being more consistent in quality, and or being completely non-problematic. My scores are going to be almost exactly this dddd:
    Also, @RainOnFire if you don't mind, I'd love to do some spotlight posts on songs we're not rating, unless of course you were going to. I don't wanna encroach on you're territory or anything.

pop3blow2, ufint, soratami and 5 others like this.
  6. Posting to express interest.

Not sure if I'm gonna participate for sure yet (I haven't heard the debut, Hothouse, or a lot of the extra tracks and if they aren't my thing at large I don't want to be a rate villain) but I'll be following along regardless.

7. I'm sure you'll love it all, because their quality is amazing.

Crisp X and Untouchable Ace like this.
  8. Oh you guys thought you've seen me stan for music in a rate? Not on this level. Probably going to be my highest scores ever recorded in a rate. Where is their weak material? Like where? Doesn't exist, that's where.

9. This is probably going to be one of the few rates where we agree almost completely.

Crisp X, Untouchable Ace and DJHazey like this.
  10. To a T. We will be very similar average wise on this one. Using 9.75 will be needed if I can just for score variety alone.

11. Same! I don't know if we're allowed quarters though, cause it just says half-points above.
    Can we use them @RainOnFire?

Crisp X, Untouchable Ace and DJHazey like this.
  12. I'm gonna throw in @iheartpoptarts as well, cause I think she's a fan?

13. I would like to see this sentiment reflected in your Like Whoa score! If I remember correctly you do not like it that much.

Obviously I am here.

14. Wait what?
    Hazey...Like Whoa is a classic. Even if the girls don't like it too much.

DJHazey likes this.
  15. I'm with the girls on it unfortunately, but it is not complete hatred. It's just not as good as basically everything else on Insomniatic that is on a different level. Breakup Song gives me that kind of bop much better on the album. I have tried to like it more than I do of course, but it has never clicked all the way like most of their music does right away.

savilizabeths and Music Is Life like this.
  16. Okay. That's actually fair. I mean, I'm me, and I may even end up giving the whole album 10s, but I totally get this. As long as its not like, in the 1-4 or 5 range, we're good.

DJHazey likes this.
  17. No way. Like an 8 maybe. It's just everything else from them is more essential to me.

Music Is Life likes this.
  18. Oh! That's a great score. Okay. Yay.
    This is going to be so much fun.

DJHazey likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.