Aly & AJ: The Discography Rate (1 WEEK TO VOTE) | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

Aly & AJ: The Discography Rate (1 WEEK TO VOTE)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RainOnFire, Jun 16, 2020.

1. I'm listening to it for the first time right now, and yeah...

I think the main issue with the album is the production. The singles are great, but everything else sounds so flat and muddy, it's almost like I'm listening to a bunch of demos.

Untouchable Ace and RainOnFire like this.
  2. They had no God damn right to make a song as good as this tbh.

3. @RainOnFire

[​IMG]

4. I mean... it is what it is. I'm not saying they're bad songs, but they're definitely poorly produced. Even the (Rock Mafia produced) Christmas songs sound better.

RainOnFire likes this.
  5. Oh I just realized: thank GOD I don't have to rate the Christmas songs (bar the one present that's actually not bad). I didn't want to be the Grinch in another rate.

6. There's two here though.
    I've been preparing myself for Into The Rush to get done wrong in here since the rate was announced but I still won't be happy about it.

savilizabeths, DJHazey and Milotic like this.
  7. Just let me live in ignorant bliss.

8. I don't really count Not This Year as a Christmas song either dddd, despite it's parent album.
    It's amazing though, so it better do well.

Milotic likes this.
  9. Both Christmas songs are the best Christmas songs I've ever had the pleasure to rate which I know isn't a high bar because I generally don't take to Christmas songs in general, my taste with the genre is abysmal (just knowing Band Aid 1984 is like my all-time fav is enough reasoning for you all). But these are insane bops that deserve to survive an early cull in the reveals.

Music Is Life, soratami and Milotic like this.
  10. I wish this was released officially. It'd get a 10, easily.

11. That album is so special to me. Expect high key stannage!

Music Is Life and DJHazey like this.
  12. The one rate where I will be right in line with you on all the 'slower/ballady' moments.

Music Is Life and savilizabeths like this.
  13. Into the Rush: 7.67
    Insomniatic: 8.60
    Hothouse: 7.57
    Ten Years: 8.91
    Sanctuary: 9.1
    Extras: 8.1

[​IMG]

14. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

[​IMG]

INSOMNIATIC
    Potential Breakup Song
    Bullseye
    Closure
    Division
    Like It Or Leave It
    Like Whoa
    Insomniatic
    Silence
    If I Could Have You Back
    Blush
    Flattery
    I'm Here

[​IMG]

INSOMNIATIC: DELUXE
    Careful With Words
    Tears

Following the release of the deluxe edition of Into the Rush in August 2006 and their Christmas album Acoustic Hearts of Winter in September 2006, Insomniatic was released as Aly & AJ’s third studio album on July 10, 2007. It debuted at #15 in the US and #72 in the UK.

The album was a departure from their original pop/rock sound, as it used more synthesizers and drum programming for a more electronic pop effect. Also, “Insomniatic” isn’t actually a word, but rather a term made up by the sisters. Their definition is: “a state of mind where one becomes addicted to the deprivation of sleep caused by an epic revelation of joy". Work!

Insomniatic spawned the duo’s biggest hit, “Potential Breakup Song”, which became the first single by a Disney act to hit the Top 20 on the Hot 100. The second and final single “Like Whoa” was only released to Radio Disney in conjunction with a Disney Channel movie (notice a theme here?) and charted at #63.

A deluxe edition was scheduled for November 2007, before being pushed back to March 2008 and then getting cancelled. It was, however, given a limited release in Japan, featuring the bonus tracks “Careful With Words” and “Tears”, a remix of “Potential Breakup Song”, live performances of a few songs, and a DVD with five of their videos.

This… might be one of my favourite albums ever nn. It’s just so good and hasn’t aged at all for me – I can still play it now and I know it’s not the nostalgia talking. It truly is the best album released by a Disney act, at least for me personally. The melodies are airtight, the production is sharp and pretty varied actually (especially for a Disney album), and there are moments that feel beyond their years, considering they were 18 and 16 at the time of release. I genuinely love every song on the album in some capacity, it's incredibly consistent.

FYC: Closure, Division, Like It Or Leave It, Silence, Flattery

2.5 WEEKS TO VOTE!

15. Taste.

I'd just replace Closure with Bullseye, and that's my top five. Aside from the singles, of course.

DJHazey, RainOnFire and Music Is Life like this.
  16. Mariah-that-was-a-classic.gif

It seriously is the best Hollywood Records album ever. It still sounds fresh today, and it blows my mind that two (albeit amazing) teenage girls wrote a few of these songs. I certainly wouldn't have been able to write something like Silence when I was their age. Rock Mafia snapped on the production as well.
    And Potential Breakup Song being the first top 20 hit by a Disney artist - we love to see it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  17. I didn't know Insomniatic had been released on my birthday, that's great. It's a pretty great album, definitely a big improvement from the debut.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.