Aly & AJ: The Discography Rate (1 WEEK TO VOTE) | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Aly & AJ: The Discography Rate (1 WEEK TO VOTE)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RainOnFire, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Wow, okay, I really neglected the Songs We're Not Rating Spotlights I was planning, so to make up for that, you're getting a two-for-one today!

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah

Favorite Lyric....You really think I have one?
    This song is a cover from the Dineymania 3 compilation released the same year as Into The Rush. The original comes from Song Of The South. The girls changed it up, giving the song an overt pop-rock make-over, similar in sound to the rest of their music. I'm very okay with this being left out, as it's not exactly one of the best Disney songs. I do like what they did with it, and their rendition is probably my favorite. It'd get a solid 7 from me, but like with Miley's cover in my rate, I'm sure it'd understandably be the first song out here.

Lovesick

Favorite Lyric: A better me would’ve chosen you first. & He's the worst thing that ever happened, but I still think of him when I'm with you. (These are honestly low-key really sad and I fuck with that so much. They just hit me hard for some reason.)
    Lovesick is one of the songs written and recorded for their rumored third Hollywood Records album, that was meant to be self-titled after their 78violet re-brand (shudders). It's unknown exactly what would've made the final album and how completed it was, but it was ultimately shelved by the label (fuckers). This has been one of my favorites since I tracked down the leaks. The entire "album" has more pop-punk/alt-rock production throughout, and as a huge fan of that (Paramore, Tonight Alive, Icon For Hire, etc.) it's something I was really drawn towards, and it's utilized wonderfully on this one. This song is a total catchy jam. It's so much fun to rock out too and sing along at the top of your lungs with. And the lyrics! They're actually really sad throughout, and poor whoever they're singing about. The chorus constantly gets stuck in my head and I never get tired of it. I like to imagine if the album had been released, then this song would've gotten the single treatment, as I think it could really have worked. It's just so damn god, definitely would've gotten a 10 from me, and is low-key an 11 contender.​

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  2. I personally adore Tears but I can see it already being done wrong. It's completely different from the rest of the album but it knocks in all of its frantic acapella extravaganza.

3. I love Tears! It's such a gorgeous little song.

DJHazey and Verandi like this.
  4. I'm not ashamed to say I played the hell out of Disneymania 3 in my pre-teen years.

This song, Raven's Under the Sea, Skye Sweetnam's Part of Your World, The Cheetah Girls' I Wont Say (I'm in Love) were all bops. To me, anyways ddddd.

pop3blow2, DJHazey and Music Is Life like this.
  5. The Disneymania albums were low-key iconic. There was talk in my Miley rate about someone running one for the albums ddd.
    (Also, please give me a like xx.)

6. Never mind not being able to write something as mature as they wrote on Insomniatic at their age then, I couldn't do it now!

Back when "Insomniatic" was released, I was slightly older than AJ is now. 2007 had seen me lose my job in my hometown, so I'd moved across country to get a job (this is the UK so it was only a few hours away...we don't have an awful lot of country here). I'd started dating in this new town, and I fell for someone. I'd also really gotten back into pop music in a big way, and so when the girls who did "Potential breakup song" released an album I knew I had to get it.

A few months later and the rush of infatuation has gone and I'm staring down the barrel of a breakup. I learned the hard way that "Like it or leave it" is a much more relatable song when facing a potential breakup than "potential breakup song". The lyrics of an 18 and 15 year old helped me through a breakup I should have seen coming.

And whew that's enough emotional dumping about Aly and AJ for tonight.

7. I'm shook, my 11 isn't as set in stone as I thought it was.

RainOnFire, DJHazey, Milotic and 2 others like this.
  8. The same thing happened to me!

9. dd this was literally me earlier today. I was sure I was going to give it to one of their older songs, but now I'm really questioning giving it to one of the more recent ones instead.

RainOnFire, Milotic, DJHazey and 2 others like this.
  10. THAT BOP among the unreleased demos:

Also I of course also love "Lovesick" @Music Is Life and it made me have to do an 'any excuse' for another Disney Queen:

Amazing writeup of Insomniatic @RainOnFire!

soratami, Crisp X, RainOnFire and 3 others like this.
  11. I plan on highlighting that as well! One of my faves too.

And yeah, Emily's is a jam as well.

DJHazey likes this.
  12. Lovesick was my most played song in 2011 next to Heavy Metal Lover dddd. I was obsessed.

DJHazey and Music Is Life like this.
  13. Late 00s/Early 10s was the time to be alive for teen-pop fans!

And HML is still my #1 most played Gaga track. Was definitely up there in 2011 as well.

Music Is Life and Milotic like this.
  14. So in the interest of fair warning, don't be surprised if the Sanctuary EP gets an average of 10.0 from me...

Or maybe even 10.2 ddd.

15. I will let the cat out of the bag for those interested and say:

My 11 is on Insomniatic.

16. TASTE.
    TASTE part 2.

I legit have no idea what my 11 is. I don't wanna go with The Distance, because I've already ranted and raved about how much it means to me, so now I have no idea what to do.

17. That was me! It's on my ever-growing list of rate ideas.

18. I know dddd. I forgot to mention it was you, so that's my bad.
    It's gonna be iconic if/when it happens.

savilizabeths likes this.
  19. Tag me to death please

20. That second part of Silence. An out of body experience.

Music Is Life, DJHazey and Milotic like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.