Aly & AJ: The Discography Rate | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

Aly & AJ: The Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RainOnFire, Jun 16, 2020.

1. [​IMG]

2. Insomniatic is a 10 sis! They invented a whole new word for it.

EDIT: Just checked and I only gave it a 9.5 oops but it's still one of the best songs on that album!

3. I’ll admit to With You being one of the slow burners for me but when it clicked, damn. That gorgeous outro is a highlight in their discography.

4. Careful With Words, it's about time. It's a cute little song but you can definitely hear why it's a bonus track. Tears beats it out for me.

I actually didn't know anything about why Blush wasn't on the tracklist, but hearing about it being a censoring Disney thing is such a kii. They always do that stuff and I can't stop laughing! My favorite is how Radio Disney turned the lyrics on Hilary's "All About You" from "turn the lights down, let me show you it's true" to "ready or not let me show you it's true" DDD I mean come on, they could be turning the lights off to watch a movie or something, what is this?

Anyhow, I always put Blush and Flattery in the same group for some reason and I've always preferred the former but neither are the true standouts on Insomniatic.

One standout however is the title-track, let's not come for it now please! I loved how it had a hard rock edge to it and at the time I first listened to the album I was beginning to become an Avril Lavgine fan and equated it to a song she'd also do justice, so this soundscape was very pleasing to me and the chorus is butter.

Some of you haven't been kept up at night because someone is on your mind and it shows!

Crisp X, savilizabeths and RainOnFire like this.
  5. All of their projects? Well finally! Start bleeding you recent songs.

DJHazey likes this.
  6. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

Our final cut before the Top 30...

31. 8 Hours
    [​IMG]

Average: 7.881
    Highest Score: 11 x1 (@fatyoshi), 10 x3 (@Music Is Life, @pop3blow2, @aux)
    Lowest Score: 4 x2 (@Sprockrooster, @imaduck)
    My Score: 9

Damn, y'all couldn't give Hothouse a second to breathe before the Top 30, huh? "8 Hours" leaves just 3 Hothouse songs in the running.

We also lose @fatyoshi's 11 right before the Top 30, similar to when we lost @Verandi's 11 right before the Top 40 (and that too was for a Hothouse track, "Blow My House Down").

The lyrics speak of still being in love while working through a long distance relationship. It's kind of the opposite of "The Distance" from Ten Years, which also deals with a long distance relationship but with much different results.

Honestly, this song could've been the chorus on loop for three minutes and nothing else, and I still would've given it a high score. The way the chorus just breaks through like the sunlight through a cloud is perfect.

pop3blow2, Crisp X, DJHazey and 8 others like this.
  7. Y'all there are 12 songs since Hothouse and all of them make it to top 30. Wtf. That is almost half of the remaining songs despite the remaining songs coming from 3 albums. We need more balance!!

pop3blow2 and DJHazey like this.
  8. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

[​IMG]

TOP 30 RECAP

INTO THE RUSH (4/17)
    Rush
    No One
    Collapsed
    Something More
    On the Ride
    Speak for Myself
    Out of the Blue
    In a Second
    I Am One of Them
    Sticks & Stones
    Protecting Me
    Slow Down
    Do You Believe In Magic?
    Walking On Sunshine

Chemicals React
    Shine
    Never Far Behind

INSOMNIATIC (10/14)
    Potential Breakup Song
    Bullseye
    Closure
    Division
    Like It Or Leave It
    Like Whoa
    Insomniatic
    Silence
    If I Could Have You Back
    Blush
    Flattery
    I'm Here
    Careful With Words
    Tears

HOTHOUSE (3/13)
    Hothouse
    Blow My House Down
    Crawl

Boy
    Fifteen & a Half
    5 Damn Days
    Heart

Little Notes
    Freak
    Hole In the Earth
    8 Hours
    53rd Floor
    Today

TEN YEARS (6/6)
    Take Me
    I Know
    Promises
    The Distance
    Good Love
    With You

SANCTUARY (5/5)
    Church
    Don’t Go Changing
    Star Maps
    Not Ready to Wake Up
    Sanctuary

EXTRAS (2/5)
    Greatest Time of Year
    Not This Year
    Belong Here

Attack of Panic
    Joan of Arc On the Dance Floor

___

We've officially reached the halfway mark! Fun fact, all of our songs in the Top 30 have an average of 8+.

This is the moment where things start to get real... I won't give too much away though. Stay tuned!​

pop3blow2, 2014, Crisp X and 10 others like this.
  9. I'm honestly not surprised it's turning out like this ddd. I always knew the debut and Hothouse would be the most divisive.

That being said, my highest scores for each are still in the running, so....

[​IMG]

10. The fast pace of eliminations has taken me by surprise!

I love this top 30, although I'm a little sad Hothouse was done so dirty. On the other hand, I love Insomniatic, Ten Years and Sanctuary so I can't complain with how loved they are.

Let's hear it for our host who is keeping the reveals fast and furious!

11. Yesss, loving this rate so far @RainOnFire!

12. Let's get rid of Boy and Little Notes, then most of Ten Years, then I'll be happy.

Rush can sod off as well.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  13. Boy is one of the weaker songs on Hothouse anyway so it needs to go. Otherwise while I would’ve liked more Hothouse songs in, the results are going well!

DJHazey likes this.
  14. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

Well, seems like this elimination was perfectly timed!

30. Boy
    [​IMG]

Average: 8.026
    Highest Score: 10 x3 (@Music Is Life, @phily693, @savilizabeths)
    Lowest Score: 4 x1 (@imaduck)
    My Score: 9

I blame your mother
    And I blame your father
    Since you have a brother
    I blame his mother

[​IMG]

I wish I never laid my eyes
    On that pretty face of yours

[​IMG]

You have a heart
    That only a mother could love

[​IMG]

"Boy" was originally lined up to be the second single off of Hothouse. Look, there's even an officially recorded performance of it!

I spoke about this in the Hothouse write-up, but this one bizarrely managed to stay in the vaults nearly a year and half, and only leaked in December 2015 after the rest of the album had leaked in June 2014.

Here's something I'm just finding out about today - Aly & AJ starred in an independent film in 2015, called Weepah Way for Now, about... two sisters embarking on a music career together. But with lots of family drama and stuff. I've included the trailer down below, which looks like... it might actually be good? But also maybe stereotypical of what you'd expect from an indie dramedy. Hm.

But that's not all - there is a scene in the movie where they sing "Boy" together.

Also Saoirse Ronan provides narration for the movie??? What?!

29. If I Could Have You Back
    [​IMG]

Average Score: 8.033
    Highest Score: 10 x5 (@Music Is Life, @Lost In Japan., @tylerc904, @unnameable, @Ana Raquel)
    Lowest Score: 6 x2 (@Sprockrooster, @soratami)
    My Score: 7

"If I Could Have You Back" is our next Insomniatic track to leave, making it the fifth to do so.

The song was co-written with Dan Wilson, who also co-wrote "Not Ready to Make Nice" with The Chicks (!) and "Someone Like You" with Adele (!!!).

This one's a fun bop and has a great energy. It might be my least favourite on the album (I still gave it a 7 though!), it maybe doesn't stand out as well as some of the other songs on the album to me personally. Shout-out to the middle-8 though with all of the video game sound effects, that was an inspired idea.

15. All of their projects? Miss @RainOnFire... you lied.gif!

I can't believe I am hurt over a 6,0 from Insomniatic leaving now. Let me start praying for Like Whoa.

RainOnFire likes this.
  16. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

[​IMG]

DJHazey and Sprockrooster like this.
  17. Yeah, this is the right place for If I Could Have You Back. She's a cute girl, but compared to what we have left? Nah.

imaduck likes this.
  18. Mess! These are the worst eliminations so far.

"Boy" is the best song on Hothouse, and if it had been a single, it would have been a much better one than the title track. The melody of that "I blame your mother, I blame your father" bit is absolutely gorgeous and their vocals are great on it.

"If I Could Have You Back" is in my top three album tracks on Insomniatic. That chorus is a perfect slice of power-pop and again, I love the melodies and how many words they manage to pack into it ("constant indecision"! Mariah would be proud). I had no idea that Dan Wilson was behind it!

Untouchable Ace and RainOnFire like this.
  19. "Weepah Way For Now" is extremely self-indulgent arthouse stuff. You can tell the director is basically doing it as a love letter to his wife (Aly) and sister-in-law (AJ). I was pleasantly surprised by the cast they got for it. I suppose either they have good connections (maybe AJ made friends with Saoirse Ronan while working on The Lovely Bones?) or the project sounded fun and they persuaded people to work.

Still, the scene where they sing "Boy" was amazing.

RainOnFire likes this.
  20. 8 Hours and Boy are fine going at this stage, the former does have a nice chorus though.

If I Could Have You Back is not a top favorite for me but still an incredible basic pop-rock burst of energy. The soundscape always reminded of a mature version of a couple tracks from Selena's debut. Love the video game sound as the middle eight begins at "game over..." and the "on the other hand" transitional bit in the chorus is magic and of course the word spill.

RainOnFire likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.