Aly & AJ: The Discography Rate | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

Aly & AJ: The Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RainOnFire, Jun 16, 2020.

1. So many pages back I mentioned how "Like It or Leave It" got me through a big break-up the year Insomniatic came out? Well, after that break-up, every time I thought of contacting my ex I listened to "If I Could Have You Back" and remembered ON THE OTHER HAND IT WOULD BE BETTER TO HAVE A LIFE.

DJHazey, RainOnFire, Milotic and 2 others like this.
  2. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

Welp.

28. Little Notes
    [​IMG]

Average: 8.1
    Highest Score: 10 x5 (@RainOnFire, @DJHazey, @Sprockrooster, @Music Is Life, @unnameable)
    Lowest Score: 5.5 x2 (@tylerc904, @imaduck)
    My Score: 10

And just like that, Hothouse is out of the running aside from the title track.

I can't say I'm too surprised - including a leaked album onto the ballot was always a bit of a risky move - but I mean, three of the songs have averages of 8+ so I guess y'all found something to enjoy? It was always going to be hard for unreleased songs to compete with officially released material (so it's no wonder that the title track is the last Hothouse song standing), not to mention said material being critically acclaimed EPs and fan-favourite cuts from Into the Rush and Insomniatic.

But still, all things considered, it's not like you guys dumped the entire album out before the Top 40 so I think it did as well as it could have.

That being said, personally I would've put this in the Top 20. I love the concept of this song. Getting dumped so you decide to leave little notes all throughout his house for him to find? Iconic. I can just imagine how great a video would've been for this song. And it's perfectly produced so that it sounds half-cheery and half-ominous and spooky.

I slipped it under
    Your pillowcase
    Maybe the ink
    Will stain your face

I left a tear
    In your sink
    I closed your door
    In a heartbeat

Since I'll never hold your hand now
    My ghost will
    Since I'll never touch your face now
    My ghost will

Whew. And I love a good humming moment too (cc: @Madonna).

____

Coming up... two people lose their 11.​

3. My work is complete

Untouchable Ace and Milotic like this.
  4. The song Hothouse deserves top 5.

5. At least you all decided their best two songs from Hothouse are indeed the best. The even split from all era hint better mean Hothouse itself hangs on for quite a while now.

Untouchable Ace likes this.
  6. Poor Hothouse, here's hoping the title track holds on until the top 10.

Verandi and Sprockrooster like this.
  7. Hothouse deserves top 10, I will give you that.

8. In a desert of tastelessness, one drop of taste to quench our thirst.

9. Now my villainy is complete I'm coming for that redemption arc

DJHazey likes this.
  10. That drop is not quite enough. @imaduck you'll hear from my lawyer.

[​IMG]

Sprockrooster, imaduck and DJHazey like this.
  11. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

27. Insomniatic
    [​IMG]

Average: 8.1
    Highest Score: 11 x2 (@Music Is Life, @imaduck), 10 x1 (@DJHazey)
    Lowest Score: 6 x2 (@aux, @Verandi)
    My Score: 7.5

Insomniatic loses its title track next. The song was written solely by Aly & AJ, and their definition of the made-up word "insomniatic" is "a state of mind where one becomes addicted to the deprivation of sleep caused by an epic revelation of joy".

This used to be my least favourite on the album for the longest time. I don't know why, maybe because it's decidedly ~darker~ than the rest of the album? I really like it now though, and I think this was the song they were taking cues from for the unreleased 78violet album. I can hear shades of "The Next Worst Thing" etc. on this song.

"Insomniatic" picked up not only one, but two 11s! ​

@Music Is Life says: "It was definitely a struggle to pick just one 11. But ultimately, I went with the title-track because A) I love it and B) I feel like there’s a chance it’s underrated. I never see people talk about it. And I wanna give it a chance to shine. What’s funny is, when I first listened to this, I didn’t think all that much of the song. I liked it, but was kinda “eh” towards it. It wasn’t until I listened to the full album last year, and the months following where I was like “Holy shit this is amazing.” And it is. I think they could probably do any kind of music genre, and do it well, but they really shine with more rock-based productions, and this is a complete rocking out in your room, playing air guitar and head-banging like crazy jam. The weird wavey production element after the second chorus is a huge highlight. The melody is subtle – the verses don’t seem overtly catchy, but they sneak up on you, until you can’t get them out of your brain, which is a nice contrast to the chorus, which sticks like glue after the first listen. And I love the lyrics! I have insomnia in general, so I was always going to relate to lyrics like “I am erratic. Can’t break the habit” and “Delirious from a loss of sleep-deprived I greet the day. Won’t be easy to do.” Because BIG MOOD. But the theme of being so into someone that you can’t get them out of your head, and you stay up all night thinking about them – that’s a BIG MOOD as well. We’ve all been there. I definitely have – multiple times. And they’re right. It’s a good insane – most of the time. I kinda miss it to be honest, but not a whole lot. And wondering if they feel the same way and having the same issues while you’re going through this is extremely relatable as well. Oh! And I didn’t even mention how I love when they connect the last word as the first word of the next line. I LOVE when songs do that. So basically, I think this is an extremely relatable, well-written, perfectly produced rock jam of a masterpiece that I’m hoping will get a chance to shine in the rate".

And from @imaduck: "I wish we could have an album of this, OOOOHHHHHH I AM A RADDISH. I could easily give my 11 to Joan of Arc, but I'm putting that down to recency, this song has been my go to Aly & AJ fix for 13 years. The way guitars just go off, the muted mid 2000's of it all, the tawdry nonchalance of the vocals. It's just the perfect mix of bratpop and rock, I could see a proper band actually doing a good job with this song, it feels the most grown up they've been so far".

It's the moment you've all been waiting for.

(Or at least, @Sprockrooster was waiting for)

26. With You
    [​IMG]

Average: 8.185

Highest Score: 10 x3 (@phily693, @unnameable, @savilizabeths)
    Lowest Score: 5.5 x1 (@Verandi)
    My Score: 7

It actually happened! The EPs lose their first track, as Ten Years' bonus track "With You" is eliminated.

The deluxe version of Ten Years was released on November 30, 2018, a year after the original release. The re-release included "Good Love" which was already released in June 2018, so this was technically the only brand new song we got to hear (even though they were already performing it on tour earlier in 2018).

I'm not even a little bit surprised that this is the first casualty from the EPs, I think we can all agree on that, right? A good showing regardless, with an 8+ average and safely within the Top 30.

It's definitely my least favourite across the two EPs (it's not, however, my least favourite song from all of their newer material... stay tuned for that), but I can't deny that outro! It's so much fun and justifies its length - fun fact, "With You" is the longest song in Aly & AJ's catalogue at nearly 5 minutes.

12. Untouchable Ace and DJHazey like this.
  13. Well that was not a 4 of 5 of mine, but yes to that cut nonetheless. Now the first cut has been made start bleeding EPs!

14. Not Ready to Wake Up or I Know need to be next from the EPs.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  15. My punishment for finally killing off Hothouse was losing my 11. A rare occasion where I'm not alone in my 11!

I will never not sing "I am a raddish" in the chorus, and I encourage you to aswell.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 8:06 PM
  16. "With You" is also one of my least favourites on the EPs, but it's still an 8 in the context of this incredibly strong discography. The length is what lets it down, as it gets a bit repetitive, and the chorus isn't as strong as the other tracks on the EPs.

And yeah, I adore "Insomniatic". Just a really well-written, melodic pop-rock song. "My current status: for you I'm insomniatic" is such a good lyric. I also love the switch-up of the melody for the middle 8 on this one, and their vocals are used really well.

17. I always go for "I am erotic" instead.

Collapsed is probably the worst for misheard lyrics - until I read the CD booklet I thought it was "I wish I had curiously passed" instead of "I wish I could erase the past", and as for that middle 8 - that still makes no sense even if I read them listening to the song.

imaduck likes this.
  18. With You deserves better than this! It's my favourite from the Ten Years EP, I gave it a 9.5.

Untouchable Ace and Milotic like this.
  19. When I first heard With You, I liked the verse and chorus, but felt the long outro let it down a bit.

Last July when I saw them perform it live on the Sanctuary tour, it absolutely slapped. The chorus had everyone singing along, and the music continuing for so long felt completely natural. It went from an 8/10 for me to being a 10/10 favourite.

Milotic and phily693 like this.
  20. I absolutely agree! It was a revelation live.

This is the first elimination that’s really hurt, except for maybe Blush. But seeing what’s left it really seems to be 10s all around so I’m going to cry after each elimination now.

Milotic likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.