American Horror Story | Page 271 | The Popjustice Forum

American Horror Story

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Someboy, Oct 4, 2011.

1. The series died for me with Leslie Grossman I’m afraid.

Remorque, Dee91, Whisky87 and 3 others like this.
  2. Roanoke is the show’s second or third best season, but avoid the rest at all costs.

3. I rewatched Coven recently, so decided to do an Apocalypse rewatch after. The shift in tone and art direction is so jarring, but I was surprised by how great the latter managed Cordelia’s character trajectory, and it was a bonus that I didn’t have to finish Coven with those unnecessary deaths, and got to see them reversed later. Apocalypse is obviously a let-down, but episodes 4,5,6,7 and 9 are actually enjoyable enough. 10 is a mess but fun, too. The rest is garbage.

Holly Something likes this.
  4. Well you wanted a rank huh?

1. Asylum
    2. Roanoke
    3. Coven
    4. Murder House

5. Freakshow
    6. Hotel

7. Apocalypse
    8. Cult

DNC. 1984

5. 1. Asylum
    2. Roanoke
    3. Murder House
    4. Coven

5. Freakshow
    6. Hotel

7. Cult

8. 1984
    9. Apocalypse

steste, P'NutButter and aux like this.
  6. A lot of people with no taste (the weirdos on Twitter and other forums) put Roanoke down near the bottom, but it genuinely is a series best.

The concept of the show-within-a-show hadn't been done before on AHS and it was very dark with almost no camp, so it hearkened back to Murder House and Asylum.

7. Roanoke was refreshing since it followed my two least favourite seasons, but I only really loved it when Sarah Paulson and Kathy Bates were camping it up as Audrey and Agnes.

8. I appreciate the Roanoke love. I too noticed in other places everyone puts it at the bottom. I think it was the last genuinely scary season, well the first half anyways. Admittedly, I couldn’t do Cult because I’m deathly afraid of clowns. People clown on the ending, but having Lee, played by Adina, being the only survivor was something you didn’t see coming because the audience of course expected it to be Sarah. Maybe people wouldn’t have hated it as much if Angela played Lee and Adina played Monet but...it was FAR from bottom tier.

9. The first half of 1984 is so much fun, but when the ghost plot is introduced it quickly becomes a dull mess.

10. Anybody putting Cult near or at the bottom can @ me.

Remorque likes this.
  11. Asylum
    Roanoke
    Murder House
    Coven
    Hotel
    Freakshow
    Cult

Didn't finish
    Apocalypse

Part of my main gripe with Cult is that the election was so fresh that we didn't need to see some fictionalized version of it play out on TV because we were actually living it, and then it felt like it went limp at the end when it started turning into profiles of cult leaders. Something great could've been mined out of it if it had less episodes and wasn't shoddily rewritten as the season went on

steste likes this.
  12. Asylum
    Coven
    Roanoke
    Murder House

Didn't finish
    Freakshow
    Hotel
    Cult

Apocalypse

lushLuck and steste like this.
  13. Nothing will touch the first 3 seasons (and I'd even argue that four is still more enjoyable as a whole than anything that came after, aside from maybe Roanoke). Even if the wheels started to come off during Coven, the show was at least still fun and engaging then. And the performances were phenomenal across the board. The fact that we've gone from Jessica Lange/Connie Britton/James Cromwell/Lily Rabe/Frances Conroy/Angela Bassett to Leslie Grossman/Gus Kenworthy/Matthew Morrison/Bille Lourd/Emma Roberts... kind of says it all.

Cult, Apocalypse, and 1984 have all been various levels of embarrassing.

14. Ryan confirmed that Frances Conroy is joining the returning cast for season 10.

[​IMG]

15. Apocalypse is decent if you watch it all at once. Weekly it was a chore.

Remyky22 likes this.
  16. [​IMG]

Neon Green, Remorque, Xanax and 4 others like this.
  17. I really liked Apocalypse, I think it would've worked better had they not erased everything at the end however. That episode was absolute garbage, however.

18. Apocalypse is nowhere near the absolute nadir of Cult and 1984. It's actually quite entertaining most of the time, but suffers from Ryan's usual everything-and-the-kitchen-sink approach. At least its characters are likeable and easy to root for.

Karvel and HEARTCORE like this.
  19. So what is happening with Season 10? Is the format changing now to a new story every episode or are they doing the full season to "explain" the story? I put explain in quotations because Ryan Murphy has not nailed the story telling aspect of AHS since the early years since because he gets too ahead of himself and wants to add more and more as the weeks go on to the point where we lose the initial concept.

20. We are getting an anthology series, and a separate S10

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.