Angéle - Brol | The Popjustice Forum

Angéle - Brol

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Vasilios, Apr 20, 2019.

1. We've talked about her on the French pop thread but watching her new clip made me think she needs her own thread.

[​IMG]

Brol is the debut studio album by Belgian singer Angèle. It was self-released on 5 October 2018 through Angèle's own label Angèle VL Records. She's 22 and writes and produces all her of her stuff. Album's close to a million sales in France (she's from Belgium).

Her singles chronologically:

This was the song that made me pay attention - Romeo is her brother.

Her visuals are all excellent:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for me this is her best song:
    https://open.spotify.com/track/2TL8q8EO60b9lWeozfqYnG?si=efBKTP4wR9m5TIizo9imkw

2. Island

Island Staff Member

It’s a bit Same-y towards the end but overall a very solid album.

La Loi de Murphy is an anthem.

And she won the Victoires de la Musique for what’s basically Best New Artist/Best Debut if it were the Grammys.

spaceship and Vasilios like this.
  3. And the new video, smashing sexism, yasss:

junglefish, spaceship and Island like this.
  4. But Flemme is at the end and it's fantastic! I actually think this a true 10/10 album. Just super strong melodies, the songs are super catchy, the music is basically tropibop but make it sad, the lyrics (what I make out) are clever. She's so good.

junglefish, spaceship and Island like this.
  5. Island

Island Staff Member

@Vasilios have you checked out Vendredi sur Mer? I feel you’d looooove her. She’s so amazing.

6. No! The visuals kinda feel familiar though. Thanks. I'm diving in!

spaceship and Island like this.
  7. I like her so much. She’s truly a breath of fresh air in the current French music scene.

Vasilios likes this.
  8. I actually saw a tweet today from someone french about how her brand of feminism is offensive.... yikes? Let the girl fucking breathe.

Also love she's doing a huge French tour, wish I could go, why isn't she doing Bercy - too early?

Island and spaceship like this.
  9. Yeah, a major Yikes. Even if there is amazing goodwill around her, I still hear/saw people talk about her this way. My mom is French, and I’m in Paris for the Easter break and her name definitely came up during one of our family dinners. It took 2 glasses of wine for some of them to unleas their inner Katie Hopkins, so yeah I’m disappointed but not surprised.

They’re apparently mimicking Stromae’s previous campaign. He also started playing smaller rooms and they went on to play arenas worldwide. They are apparently giving her a big push in the UK/US in late 2019 (Christine & The Queens style). I got this tea from a friend of mine who works at her French label.

You should definitely come to the Olympia date in Paris. It’s intimate and small but so worth it.

Island and Vasilios like this.
  10. Olympia date was in March? Anyway all her Paris dates are sold out but have a feeling they will add a victory lap final one after the three Zenith ones, and I will snatch some if so.

Exciting about the international push!

Island and spaceship like this.
  11. I mixed up the Olympia with the Zenith dates. But yeah, I will try to snatch some tickets too but I feel it won’t be long before she has her London debut anyway.

Vasilios likes this.
  12. I hope so too. I wish I went to the date she had Kiddy Smile come on stage.

For the english launch, I would go with Flemme first - which is already half english and then take it from there.

spaceship likes this.
  13. Kiddy Smile is amazing. I need a Kiddy, MNEK collab.

And yeah I think they should go with Flemme but I feel they will probably push Balance To Quoi for its sociocultural relevancy. La Loi De Murphy could also work in the UK too.

Island and Vasilios like this.
  14. Island

Island Staff Member

Ooh an international push is so exciting. This album really deserves it.

soratami and spaceship like this.
  15. I wonder how good is her English? I hope great if she can write lyrics?

spaceship likes this.
  16. She’s from the bilingual part of Brussels but it seems she’s more fluent in French/English than Dutch.

Unrelated, but if you guys were wondering what Brol means, it’s Belgian-French slang for the word Mess. (C’est quoi ce brol = What is this mess)

Vasilios, soratami and Island like this.
  17. That interviewer... Shawn Mendes armpit sniffer found sniffing.

18. Island

Island Staff Member

@Vasilios and I trying to get people to stan Angèle
    [​IMG]

spaceship, Vasilios and ericcccc like this.
  19. I stan! I liked her album so I’m glad to read that she’s getting a more international push.

spaceship, Vasilios and Island like this.
  20. [​IMG]

Stream it more! Buy a copy for your discman. And a vinyl!

Island, spaceship and ericcccc like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.