Annoying things they do in TV shows | Page 51 | The Popjustice Forum

Annoying things they do in TV shows

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Deleted member 5343, Apr 20, 2015.

1. I have a friend who worked in TV who I guess has picked up this habit over the years and it is so annoying ddd. I'll be like, is the story over and we're doing talking or...?

phoenix123 and New Flame like this.
  2. Can't think of any examples right now, but when someone says a line of dialogue that by itself doesn't really make sense/comes off as unnatural/isn't something that character would say, and only serves as a way to set up another character's witty comeback.

Daniel_O likes this.
  3. So all of Tina Fey and Amy Sherman-Palladino’s writing.

Jamie, berserkboi and unnameable like this.
  4. I've grown massively allergic to the overblown thud of punches and kicks in fight scenes. Or like... somebody swinging a sword or knife and it still makes that metallic "ZING" noise. IT'S NOT COLLIDING WITH ANYTHING.

I really hope at some point they'll be considered as old and dated as sitcom laughing tracks.

IntoTheBlue and New Flame like this.
  5. AUDIBLE SHARPNESS!

LPT, Leopold, Lander and 3 others like this.
  6. The “white saviour” trope: white main character (usually either a detective or a doctor, often British) moves to a country populated predominantly by POC, turns out to be highly gifted and magically solves all of the cases/cures all of the patients while all of the POC characters are mainly there to assist. It surprises me that there hasn’t been a bigger backlash with these things?

LPT likes this.
  7. White saviour trope (and also the "magical negro" trope) tends to be commented more when it's a film that wins awards. My guess is that it's a trope so normalised into pop-culture that people don't even see it when it's on screen.

8. Someone arrives at a prison for visitation. They say hi, hug, sit down, utter about 4 sentences about the upcoming court date and a bell goes, a guard shouts: "Visitation is over!"

IntoTheBlue, LPT, Blue6010 and 10 others like this.
  9. Prisoner Cell Block H in every visiting scene! It'd wind me up so much - they just got there and spent 90 seconds together and their time is up!!!

Hudweiser, bonnieetclyde and Andrew like this.
  10. Bad Girls Realness

11. When person A needs to get hold of person B urgently but person B’s phone is across the room (and on vibrate/silent) because, reasons?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  12. To be fair, this happens to me a lot. My phone is alway on silent haha

He, LPT, Someboy and 7 others like this.
  13. SBK

SBK

Yeah my phone is on silent all the time, well unless I'm "working" from home and need to hear my email/teams notifications

SecretSatisfaction likes this.
  14. Ah so I’m unpopular then

15. I watched Do Revenge today and, whilst a wonderful movie, it had that godawful "I send the video to the entire school" trope. Please can we leave that behind in the 2000s?! It didn't make sense then, and it doesn't make sense now.

bonnieetclyde likes this.
  16. It's just not possible, ha. Unless you have the entire school's numbers in your phone and create a group chat of hundreds of people so they all get the message the same time. But, nope, it just flashes up on their screen like a normal text. Haha.

17. It’s also always anonymous, is that even a real thing?

18. I mean, in this day & age of Airdropping, it's actually more possible than ever. You just have to click on every single phone who has theirs on at the same time (and I would imagine any teen with an iPhone keeps theirs on). It's certainly unrealistic, but far less so in this era.

Scaper and LPT like this.
  19. Everyone receives said images at the same time and only at a point when the subject of the image is there to witness it happen.

SecretSatisfaction, LPT and lushLuck like this.
  20. Unavoidable of course but guest characters that are written as being there the whole time like just another student at school (who are subsequently never seen or heard from again)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.