Another Place And Time: 30 Years On | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Another Place And Time: 30 Years On

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by WhatKindOfKylie?, Feb 4, 2019.

1. I love the Mandy version too. The lyrics fit her persona of that time.

WhatKindOfKylie? and lob0to like this.

2. Live performance of the superb Love's About To Change.

3. The album suffered from 1989's lightyears speed change of trends, if it was released in 1988 though...

distant_cousin likes this.
  4. Didn't think of that. Maybe it could have done even better a year before. We will never know of course.

5. Not really. Jason Donovan had the best selling album of the year in the UK, Kylie the 4th plus another in the top 40. So SAW still had a big market, Kylie and Jason were just hogging it. It was beginning to be singles overdose from then on though.

6. I keep going back to this album on and off this week since this. It really is something special.

7. I wasn't talking about the UK only, but including the US and even Europe, by the time Love's About To Change (or even Hurt) was a single the attention shifted to dancier stuff, italo house, Donna and her type of artist felt 'last decade'. Teenagers and radio moved on to Soul II Soul, Technotronic, Black Box, Bobby Brown, Paula Abdul etc.

I slightly feel that this project would have been received much better in 1988 - but it's all hypothesis.

8. [​IMG]

Even on tape, this album looks great!

Daniel L likes this.
  9. Good point. And it didn't help that Donna was already in her early '40s at this point. It's kind of amazing she was able to score a Top 10 hit, especially in America. 1989 was a rare year where women above 40 were able to score Top 40 hits - Cher with If I Could Turn Back Time, Tina Turner with The Best.

And there was a lot of talk about how The Queen of Disco was back in the Top 10 which goes to your comment of artists of 'last decade'. Kind of amazing too that The Bee Gees also scored a US Top 10 hit in 1989!

10. I wish 2019 in the charts could have the same respect for 'elder' legendary artists.

11. That just couldn't happen nowadays and the charts are all the worse for it.

When I was a teenager I didn't care that Donna Summer, Cher, Liza Minnelli or Dusty Springfield were over 40, just that they made bloody good records!

12. Exactly, as long as the songs were good, why did it matter the artists age?!

SlowBurn, MrOCB and idratherjack like this.
  13. I hate ageism and I hate how there is this push to make singers "nostalgia acts" when they still have so much to say/sing.

There are still film directors making brilliant movies in their 70s and 80s!

14. Very well said!

SlowBurn and MrOCB like this.
  15. Without tempting fury, I also remember the dark days of the 80s when radio 1 DJs would play some dinosaur act of yore constantly and the newer upcoming acts struggled. In a way it doesn't bother me if Madonna or Kylie or whoever don't get much radio play. They've made it. I think it's important that new acts get their chance.

distant_cousin, Vasilios and Booers like this.
  16. Reynolds Girls <3

17. They paved the way, got their one hit, then fucked off to obscurity. We will not forget.

Vasilios and Eric Generic like this.
  18. They FINALLY got it right with Donna’s version! And about time too. What a relief it was. I was quite the opposite of @WhatKindOfKylie?, I hated them passing the song around every couple of years! It was hardly a very good song to begin with, it never really went anywhere, so I couldn’t understand why they couldn’t just let it go. I nearly had a fit when I found out they had made even Donna cover it!

Princess sang it well but the song just dragged. Mandy didn’t sing it well but it dragged slightly less. Thankfully Donna brought it to life, but I think it was mainly because they had sped the song up a bit. It didn’t drag anymore. Still it was no favourite on her album, I always held a grudge to the damned song.

I still don’t get why that particular song got recycled so much. It’s not like they didn’t have any other flop singles or album tracks to choose from. Donna would’ve been perfect for Hazell’s No Fool. Princess’ Anytime’s The Right Time was much better than IIMYFG, actually single worthy, Donna would’ve made it even better. Some Mel & Kim album track would’ve been great too, maybe Feel A Lot Whole Lot Better, not to mention More Than Words Can Say.

Fools!

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  19. I think Donna had such a magic quality about her, she could bring almost any song to life. She was THAT good.

20. Perhaps SAW just had songs that they were convinced would be hits eventually if the right act got them. Look at dreary old Beyond your wildest dreams stalling Lonnie's and Sybil's careers!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.