Answer to the NOW series the HITS Album. | The Popjustice Forum

Answer to the NOW series the HITS Album.

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by simes1970, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Just wanted to ask apart from the Hitscd15 are there any other of the hits series where rather than finish normally the tracks segue into each other? That really puts me off on this Cd especially when ripping it some of the tracks finish really abruptly. I've also seen this with the 1990 hit pack release.

2. I picked Hits 15 up in That's Entertainment last year and this annoyed me no end! I only had a few of the Hits albums (including Monster Hits from 1989) but as far as I know none of the others are segued. I don't know who thought this was a good idea but it's even more irritating in the iTunes age.

3. Smash Hits Party 1991 is also segued, but the others weren't.

4. Oh god yes, The Hit Pack 1990 is a menace.

I do find HITS 8 has some rather abrupt fades, especially if you're ripping the tracks into iTunes and not playing them in the same order.

5. Hang on, which is HITS 15? I think the latest one I got was 14, which had a catalogue number of 15 or something. God it's confusing!

6. I remember going mad trying to find the missing HITS cd online but then found out it never existed!

If I remember Monster Hits 1 & 2 were basically HITS 11 and 12

I can't remember what came next but there was only one album in between them and this one. To be fair it wasn't called HITS 15 but the catalogue number suggested it was and they just seem to have skipped a number!

7. So was 13' the Hit Pack?

8. Ta! I'm now going back and re-editing all the tracks so they fade out nicely for iTunes purposes. And if they don't (and I have them on another album), I'm going to delete them and use the other version from now on.

9. How can you edit fades for single tracks on iTunes? I thought there was only the option for a general crossfade setting?

10. No, I'm redoing them in audacity, then painstakingly re-importing them one by one...it's a long job!

11. Not officially, its catalogue no. was 'COMP CD 1'

12. I could never find any compilation taking the cat. no. HITS 13 CD or HITS 14 CD, so assumed they just don't exist? ie. They skipped two, not one?

13. I'm sure CBS/WEA/RCA had a good reason for bailing out (or scaling down) the HITS range, but it's always baffled me why they fiddled around with the brand name after HITS 10 and then missed out two "volumes". What were the sales figures like for HITS 8, 9 and 10? Not good? Much lower than when they were level-hitting with the NOW series in 1984-87?

14. Yes looking at my hard-drive I seem to have The Hit Pack labelled as HITS 13 but can't fathom why. It's not got a HITS13 catalogue number and isn't even the same label as far as I can tell? I must have got the impression it was part of the series somehow (as have others)?

Peculiar.

EDIT: Wikipedia is to blame, I must have read this!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hits_(compilation_series)

15. vasilios

vasilios Guest

The probably had fewer smash hits to justify a release.

16. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Staff Member

Didn't they bring back the Hits series in the late 90s / early 2000s and number it to match the latest NOW release?

17. Yeah they seem to have had a random run numbered HITS 50 to HITS 60 by the looks of it. Hadn't realised it was numbered to match the NOW series of the time but that makes sense!

18. That's just silly though.

19. Wasn't it mentioned in that programme on ITV about the NOW series a few months ago that Madonna not being on NOW albums was a big thing when it seems obvious that as WEA/Warners was her label in the eighties, they would want to keep such a big draw for their own HITS albums.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.