Anxiety | Page 52 | The Popjustice Forum

Anxiety

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DreamlessNights, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Yikes. Glad you’re back to being verbal again, though!

2. Shout out to everyone... we may not understand eachother's illnesses or even if we have the same we may not understand everything, but please know you really aren't alone... does that make it all go away? HELL NO! But I don't know about you but it's nice to know other peeps "get" it and have struggles...

Life is short, take care of yourselves and when you can, others who need your support...

3. I finally got a call at 6pm which the lady rushed through, talked over me and was about as much help as a chocolate fireguard. Fortunately, she's going to refer me to the university's counselling service. Unfortunately, at this time of year- I'll be lucky if I get seen before my graduation ceremony.

londonrain and Stopremix like this.
  4. Fingers crossed that it will be faster than that!

Stopremix likes this.
  5. I'm partway through Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig and am finding it really beneficial. He puts a lot of the reasons for my anxiety in context. Parentheses my own.

"...back in 1995 comparably no one was on the internet: 16 million people, just .4 percent of the world population. (I was one of them -- a 9-year-old homo.) A decade later, in 2005, it was up to a billion people, which meant 15 percent of the world's population was online. (Wasn't 2005 yesterday? Surely not too much has changed since. I still bop to Push the Button!) And by 2017 those digits flipped to 51 percent. (?!?!!)

In that same year the number of active Facebook users... reached 2.07 billion. At the start of this decade, back in 2010 (is it not 2010 anymore? News to me.), there weren't even that many people on the entire internet." (WHAT?)

I took a deep breath even as I transcribed that. Like, times have changed rapidly and are requiring us to be vigilant all the time. No wonder it's hard.

This book is part of my toolbox, which also includes sertraline, journaling, exercise, prioritizing in-person interactions, Popjustice, dancing, trying new things, not judging myself harshly...

Highly recommend. And it cost me less than a Lyft.

6. Nadiya Hussain did a documentary about her own experiences with anxiety for BBC and I cried so much watching it last Wednesday. So many things she mentioned reminded me of my own anxiety, like how she would name all the names of her family members before going to bed when she was younger, or her struggle with doing spontaneous/unplanned things. It really made me think about my own anxiety even more than I already have over the past few weeks.

7. *hug* Your doing great by recognizing and learning! Don't stop and reach out if you need to "=]

Reboot likes this.
  8. Thanks! Yeah, it's nice that I've been able to see myself reflected in someone else's struggles. I'd recommend the documentary to anyone who struggles with anxiety too.

Anticonformity likes this.
  9. I need to watch this, I didn't realise it had already been broadcast.

I'm struggling today which I'm connecting to the fact that I'm going to a social gathering tonight. I really want to go and I'll be super disappointed in myself if I don't.

Reboot likes this.
  10. I've been suffering hugely this year with my mental health, something that's been under the surface for a long time that I'd always managed to suppress or hide with some kind of self depreciating humour finally overpowered me to the point where I had a complete breakdown about two months ago after another close bereavement.

The biggest eyeopener I found was the massive contradiction in the sheer amount of people paying lip service and ticking boxes when it comes to talking about mental health compared to the people who actually did want to listen or help when I really needed it.

I've visited three GPs for help and all three have spoken to me like I'm an absolute idiot, After I explained my circumstances to one GP he bluntly told me, "Well how do you expect to feel?", "What do you expect?" and "Oh, I suppose you want time off as well don't you?". The waiting room had more posters talking about speaking up in regards to mental health than I could count on my fingers and toes, yet when I did, I was made to feel so incredibly stupid that it just added to my depression.

I was giving the usual route of happy pills, which have now run out. I called the Surgery a week before they were due to run out as instructed by the GP who prescribed them, for a review and I was told, "It's not an emergency, you need a routine appointment, the wait time is 5 weeks and you should've booked it 5 weeks ago". When I explained I hadn't even been prescribed the tablets 5 weeks ago, she said i was abusive and hung up.

Honestly, we have SO FAR to go when it comes to the treatment of mental health and it being truly taken seriously.

11. Just watching it now, so raw and honest.

Subspace88 and Reboot like this.
  12. I’m back in therapy. I still hate it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.