Ariana Grande - thank u, next (5th Album) | Page 199 | The Popjustice Forum

Ariana Grande - thank u, next (5th Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sanctuary, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Sis, I dont think the word copy is being used literally here. It seems that Nokia is just uncomfortable with Ariana talking about buying her hair because, while Ariana likely didn't mean it maliciously and probably thought it was a fitting lyric in that she herself has to literally buy hair because hers is messed up and people talk about her ponytail, I think it is easy to understand why someone may not like a white person placing being made fun of for having a ponytail next to what black women face in regards to their hair. That seems to be the crux of the argument and their very vaguely similar cadence in a part of the song just being what brought the song across Nokia's desk.

RMK, JMRGBY88, Vixen and 36 others like this.

2. you could have just inboxed me Ari

Sam de Jour and lushLuck like this.
  3. K94

K94

Because, frankly, black music/culture heavily influences what is considered 'cool' and Ariana is trying to pivot herself into a 'cool' artist. If she can toss out anything to worldwide acclaim, it's not a leap to say she wouldn't take from someone who is a part of that culture, and is largely considered to be 'cool' in her own small sphere of buzz, and amplify that x100000.

4. See: Taylor's 1989's Grammy speech.

5. It's a shame because I actually really do like the song - you may insert your lame-ass, tired jokes here - and genuinely would like to think the best of Ariana. While I haven't been a stan for long (I jumped onboard during Dangerous Woman) she's always struck me as someone who's fairly intelligent and considerate beyond the cloud emojis and acronyms, and so far, assuming she's aware of all of this, the way she's handled it...hasn't been great.

Vixen, evilsin, sesita and 19 others like this.
  6. Fair enough. Im not trying to devalue Princess Nokia's (or anyones) feelings towards the song as a person of color. I was more-so referring to how the songs compare musically. I think i came off as a bit bullish.

Raichu and Bangers&Bops like this.
  7. Whoever said money can't solve your problems
    Must not have had enough money to solve 'em

is grating on me. Maybe I'm just jealous ddd

Meathook, Dijah. and Ashling92 like this.
  8. Her whole persona is very me showing up to class in a gold dookie chain thinking I was really doing something.

constantino, Lila, Rhombus and 21 others like this.
  9. Her appropriation controversies aside, I've seen a lot of people complaining that the song is offputting because she's singing about having and spending money. Capitalism and blahblahblah. Which, I think is funny because when male artists sing about that- no one lifts a finger. And it's about spending money that you've worked to make to fill your life with things you've worked hard to afford instead of thinking all you need in your life is a man. I'm okay with that.

Meanwhile I am avoiding looking at my bank account.

Meathook and Arianator9 like this.
  10. don’t do Lorde’s Royals like this.

11. That review post was...unnecessary. Delete it Aristotle.

nikkysan likes this.
  12. Ella strikes again!

13. RJF

RJF

A mess.

14. That's genuinely the cringiest thing I've read all week, and the fact she had the nerve to screenshot it and post it to her own damn account? The levels of second-hand embarrassment, yeesh.

15. Oooh, it turned!

mi|kshake, papatrick, Vixen and 29 others like this.
  16. Watch this be the last bit of written language left in the world after the apocalypse for some alien race to discover...

Raichu and miss anthropop like this.
  17. Her love affair with Broadway needs to be taken out on an actual stage somewhere especially when the interpolation of My Favorite Things is the worst thing about the track. Ugh.

18. scream at this gif having pink light too

19. Someone @ me when the album drops.

Bruno Ferreira likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.