Ariana Grande - thank u, next (5th Album) | Page 518 | The Popjustice Forum

Ariana Grande - thank u, next (5th Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sanctuary, Oct 3, 2018.

1. I went yesterday and had a blast, we got into the venue at Mayfield about 6pm and got a really good spot by the left of the stage and right in front of the bar.

Cheryl was Electric and could have easily been the headline.
    While Ariana was good and played the big hits I don’t find her stage presence that good but he voice is fabulous so il deal

timothy_b and hotgossip like this.
  2. WELL, Sunday's performance has turned me from a casual fan to a 'fully paid-up member of the fan club'

Thought she was wonderful. Vocals were thrilling. The live arrangements were (musically) better than the studio versions - especially the recent songs.

Impressed with her choreography. She was exciting, adorable, sweet yet powerful.

My friend and I arrived fairly early and got a decent spot towards the front. Was pretty pushy up there though. But I've been to more gigs and festivals than most of the crowd around me have had hot meals - a very young crowd - especially compared to Brighton which is thankfully more age diverse. I was at least 10 years older than most of the people there!! BUT I know how to deal with crowd bullshit!!

Didn't get any decent pics because I forgot my memory card for my good camera, and due to the fact she performs in the half light, without any spotlight (what is THAT about??? I've only seen indie bands do this before - I find it really frustrating) my phone pics are poor!

Still, it didn't stop a sea of people holding up their phones filming for the entire 30 mins, blocking most of my view...…..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    letuinmybackdoor likes this.
  3. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Needy is...ugh me right now.

sesita, Vitamin, Vasilios and 2 others like this.
  4. Constantly riding (side to side) that line between NASA and needy....

sesita, Jacques, Vitamin and 4 others like this.
  5. My friend is selling two standing tickets for the Berlin show (Oct 10th), 80 each or 140 both. As far as I'm concerned, the show is sold out. I wish I could go, but I'm attending the Stockholm one. If anyone's interested hit me up.

6. Tell him to Ticketswap them.

maikos87 likes this.
  7. So, I saw her last weekend in Ziggo Dome Amsterdam! It was fucking fantastic. Of course, I was the one helping all my friends get tickets and stuff using one of the many presales, so no stress for tickets just me trying to figure out which belongs to who.

I had a wine tasting before it, so getting a little tipsy was right. I did not want to be drunk to miss anything because that's a waste I think. But all in all, we got there in Amsterdam and took a quick BurgerKing with my sweet discount coupons (I should be on extreme couping once - capitalism lost). Anyways then we get in at our usual side in Ziggo Dome and from that entry, there was only Golden Circle entry going towards the stage. The circle was HUGE! Insane. But sell those expensive tickets Ari! Also, I did check out the merchandise and was pretty disappointed. It was only shirts while her previous tour had other items too. Okay super expensive hoodies too, cool but too much. (I did buy the I got zero F**ks sweater off the Dutch eBay once so perhaps this will happen again sometime).

So we got in and found a spot a bit near in the middle and that was it. Ella Mai was playing and it was... Eh. Ariana thinking she cool for providing these openers? Well... It did not click here but alright. US got Normani and Little Mix before? I want to have a good opener too, save some for Europe next time! Make me jealous each tour I guess. Soon enough, she came on (this date was earlier than the day before) and I was glad I could view the stage by looking over all these teens their heads. That did not last long because the phones came out and there were so many, it was insane... 2019 nowadays but this was most. Perhaps also due us being more in front usually (a smaller or no Golden Circle). Everyone filming and stuff, okay I make videos too for a verse and chorus when it's a hit I love the song. For me, the concerts are more about dancing though... Not many were doing so, sad... So me and my friends were bopping. When she came close to us on the catwalk, the number of phones was even more, but I guess that's concerts in 2019. Still got some nice visuals though.
    [​IMG] (not mine)

The setlist was pretty nice, including the hits and stuff. I would have loved seeing bloodline or better off there, but too bad. They are my my favourites, ah well. Each act had enough hits for the GP to switch between those and album tracks, I found the way it flew by so fast, it was over too soon. I liked how she kept name dropping Amsterdam: Let me hear y'all. *During 7 Rings* Oh Amsterdam you know the lyrics? C'mon Amsterdam. Amsterdam this, Amsterdam that. Iconic city, yes. She had a good time, that's why she is returning September 11. Am I gonna snatch some tickets last minute and go again?
    [​IMG]

My favourites were Break Free (a classic, now with rainbow colors background). NASA and No Tears Left To Cry were cute girls, however not that gorgeous compared to the fun set-up of Thank U, Next. Still, they all went off. A certified Big Pop Girl™. But wait... The best was Into You. It went off so hard. Also: The Light is Coming is still trash, just a reminder. It will never not be. Side to Side had a nice moment with her dancing with the dancers and just bop overall. The backdrops were beautiful, I loved that. The stage looked good and worked. The designs were really pretty and nice big catwalk too and that video to the encore, so cute. Oh yeah, I also liked the god is a woman set up a lot and of course it goes AWF life, finally having seen that.

One negative was that it flew by so fast, but that also do it only being 1 hour and 40 minutes. I think her previous tours were longer... I wish she was on for 2 hours and did more of course. Also, the openers? Room for improvement! Ah well. Cute that she brought social house out for boyfriend I guess.

At the end, Ariana and her dancers danced around waving gay flags here and there, awesome! A true inclusion fest. Go see her if you have the chance! One of the best concerts of 2019 that I've attended!

Lapras and lushLuck like this.
  8. Do someone know why Ariana cancel all the Meet & Greet and Soundcheck tickets for the rest of the EU tour?

9. I think she might be struggling personally just now with mental health. Hope she’s okay.

10. She put up a statement (I guess on her instagram stories since its not on her page) about having an anxiety attack and she didn't feel she could do both the show and the meet and greets.

Ariana wrote: “Time for some honesty. My depression and anxiety have been at an all-time high lately. I have been giving you all I’ve got and trying to push through as hard as I can and mask it.

“Today has been an extra rough one. After a handful of panic attacks, I feel like the wisest decision would be to not do soundcheck party or [meet-and-greet] today and preserve my energy for the show.”

She continued: “I don’t want to rush through our time together or seem shaky. I like spending actual time with you and I won’t be able to be present or give you the best of me today.

“I wish I had control over these attacks but as anybody with anxiety or depression understands, sometimes you can only operate on its terms and not your own.”

I've had anxiety attacks and panic attacks off and on for the last several years and she's right about operating on its terms. Panic attacks are honestly preferable - they come and go relatively fast (maybe a few hours at most, at least for me). Anxiety attacks linger for ages sometimes.

11. LP

LP

...a ride.

12. I've struggled with panic and anxiety my entire life and I really do feel for her. What she said about operating on its terms is so true. I know the twitter stans are going to be brutal, but I hope she stays off social media for a bit and can trust that she made the right decision for herself. That being said, it seems like she needs to be anywhere but on tour right now... if you don't take the time out to deal with your mental health, your body will force you to.

13. A classic

My top 3 are Honeymoon Avenue, Right There, and You'll Never Know

(I don't know if this is the appropriate thread to put this in ddd)

14. Looking for 4 tickets to her Berlin show. Please let me know if you know anyone selling.

15. Ruh roh.

16. "We like this and this can you make something similar" isn't necessarily stealing. The similarities start and end at sparkly corset.

I don't think using a lookalike to attract sales and taking inspiration are quite the same.

K94, Butterfly, inevitable and 4 others like this.
  17. I don’t know the legal technicalities of the situation but one of the looks that Team Ariana alleges Forever 21 copied, using the lookalike, is that exact look from the 7 Rings video which is probably why Farrah is not happy about it.

ZacharieH likes this.
  18. The press have focused on the one image of the model but the actual lawsuit is going after the entire campaign which seems to use the visual aesthetic as well as copying clothing items, using lyrics from the song to promote it and even going as far as to use screenshots of the video which were interspersed with the Forever 21 campaign. It's not a baseless complaint.

So I agree with @Mr Blonde here. If they were to have just had a model wearing a sparkly corset (which... they didn't even do. There are no corsets) and Ariana was claiming to have invented that particular look then of course Farah would be justified in calling her out. I think she's kind of jumped the gun though.

I would be interested to know if the model is mixed race, because if so that would add quite a few layers to their accusation that they used "a strikingly similar looking model".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Not sure Farrah’s Xtina cosplay lewk as her standard is the best leg to stand on

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.