Ariana Grande - thank u, next (5th Album) | Page 533 | The Popjustice Forum

Ariana Grande - thank u, next (5th Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sanctuary, Oct 3, 2018.

1. I LOVED her work with Pop Wansel & Justin Tranter on Thank U , Next.
    Would love her to work with them, with Louis Bell , Frank Dukes, Maybe some Andrew Watt , The Struts + keep Max Martin/Ilya/Savan

2. The thing is, when The Max team is pushed, they make incredible songs.
    When Ariana was done with Pharrell she really pushed Max & Savan to do something different, i remember i read they spent 2 days in the studio listening to music, getting inspired & writing ideas.

3. It’s a cute song, but I don’t love it or particularly want to listen to it again.

Thank U Next as an album remains incredible and is much better than Sweetener as a whole package. The only real dud on it is 7 Rings.

blaze_dave likes this.
  4. It’s literally like a Disney live action remake of a song.

5. Incredible.

6. I really like this, but I wonder how flat it sounded before Miley and Lana came on board. Their parts are moments, and then Ariana's verse is just there.

7. I prefer the Max Martin tracks on both albums over every other track on them.

junkos, Wishlight and Marc1129 like this.
  8. As my first post stated when I said that her music has started becoming samey I was referring to the material on Thank U Next and what has since come after. The Sweetener singles remain amazing and her true artistic peak. And in my opinion Thank U Next and Seven Rings have plenty of things in common, namely the instagram caption-friendly lyricism which got old very fast.

Ariana is a brilliant artist but she hasn't delivered a brilliant song since Sweetener, which is barely a year old like you noted but she has also released plenty of other songs since. And yes no one is expecting a soundtrack single to be her career best but plenty of them have managed to be up there with the rest of the artist's discography (namely the theme song for the original Charlies Angels movie) and Angel...is not it.

MrMannacroix and Verandi like this.

9. I think the fuck not.

10. Ghostin', as previously noted, yes. The rest...

[​IMG]

11. You just keeping digging yourself deeper, I'd stop because no one here would agree with this shit assessment

12. They played Don't Call Me Angel last night at the club...half of the people was confused about it, waiting for the song to explode at some point...it was quickly replaced by Kesha's Timber...

13. Now that's a song.

14. Well i appreciate when artists & producers spend time brainstorming and getting inspired rather than throwing a beat and a lazy melody just to get songs out.

15. So reaction was quite negative?
    A shame.. I'm really hooked with this song, its a great grower

Steve003 and slaybellz like this.
  16. We will do no such thing.

I can't at the meltdowns over what's supposed to be a fun song for a teen movie soundtrack. Why does everything have to be so serious??

17. It's interesting (to me) how her singles during this imperial phase can be split into two categories

Career Defining Bops™
    No Tears Left to Cry
    God Is A Woman
    Breathin
    Thank U, Next

Meh
    7 Rings*
    Break Up with Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored
    Monopoly
    Boyfriend
    Don't Call Me Angel

With this in mind I understand the criticisms. I wouldn't say her single choices are samey as such, it's just that post-7 Rings they've felt throwaway. The type of songs that just won't be remembered.

One could argue that 7 Rings is a Career Defining Bop but... ugh. Maybe it sits as a bridge between the two categories.

18. 7 Rings seems super loved by the general public and went off on tour so it could be very well remembered in years to come. Regardless of what you think of the song’s quality, it’s definitely one of her signature songs.

junkos and Bruno Ferreira like this.
  19. 2014

2014 Moderator

I still haven't heard 7 Rings all the way through since it was released. It taints Thank U Next to be honest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.