Ariana Grande - thank u, next | Page 571 | The Popjustice Forum

Ariana Grande - thank u, next

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sanctuary, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJF

RJF

Imagine if there was some kind of event where people could apply numerical value to quality of the tracks of thank u, next and a selection of other 2019 albooms and female hits, and we could see where it lay on a scale of large popular female music. Like... a contest of some kind. Imagine a world like that.

2. Island

Island Staff Member

The run of the last 4 tracks are lovely.

Vixen likes this.
  3. 'goodnight n go', 'better off' and 'pete davidson' all sit inside her Top 20 so nah.

RainOnFire, Crisp X, sjoerd.. and 6 others like this.
  4. The only track that doesn’t work on Sweetener is the title track. Everything else ranges from very strong to career highlights, and I think that’s benefitted by the juxtaposition of Max’s melodic approach to her vocals and Pharrell’s emphasis on creating harmonies from her vocals. That said, neither of them had a hand in the album’s best song (Goodnight n Go).

Vixen likes this.
  5. RJF

RJF

Sweetener is... low-key half shit. Everything Pharrell touched was rotted. The other half though.

God is a woman
    everytime
    breathin
    no tears left to cry
    better off
    goodnight n go

The rest can die.

From this album?

NASA
    bloodline
    fake smile
    bad idea
    make up
    ghostin
    in my head
    thank u, next

All great. I've come round to the title track in recent times. You just need to lop off the boring rubbish at the start and the messy thottery that closes it and it's great. My Everything is probably her most consistent effort, but none of y'all have enough sense to admit it.

GimmeWork, Drew, fancygreen and 10 others like this.
  6. So say I heard thank u, next for the first time last week and wanted to commit to Stanning. Besides the singles and the odd album track (R.E.M) where do y’all suggest I go next?

Sorry for saying y’all

7. Just Beyoncé it already so we can not submit commentary smh

8. Nah I’m gonna have to pass on this one. It barely holds together as more than a playlist and features another two career low points in Just a Little Bit of Your Heart and its title track. It’s a solid hits collection but feels scrubbed of most of the interesting aspects of Ariana as an artist outside of her vocals.

9. Dangerous Woman.

10. RJF

RJF

Defending Pharrell's crimes and coming for two fairly inoffensive, sweet ballads in the process? Back to wherever you've been for the last couple of months, hussy.

Drew, Vixen and Slice of Life like this.
  11. Sweetener had her best singles run but some of her worst album tracks. Thank U, Next had her worst singles run but some of her best album tracks.

Drew, RainOnFire, Jacques and 3 others like this.
  12. R.E.M and sweetener are some of my Ariana faves ddd

13. Just A Little Bit of Your Heart is her worst song.

14. Island

Island Staff Member

Successful is her worst track. It's so embarrassing.

Sweetener the song is at least kinda cute and an ironic bop.

junkos and Ashling92 like this.
  15. RJF

RJF

I was trying to remember how "sweetener" even went and I only did so because I remembered I used this GIF when it came out.

[​IMG]

16. My Featurings Everything is her only album that needs a bit of work/trimming for me. It's lowkey all over the place and sounds like a collection of hits/"bops" with 2-3 ballads thrown out there. That said, One Last Time is still one of the best songs she has ever released and the album was the start of her global domination.

17. I love R.E.M. ddd

18. RJF

RJF

When she kept being forced to release the icky pop songs instead of all forty minutes of "R.E.M."... poor ha.

19. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Imagine is her best album opener oop

20. R.E.M. is the worst thing she’s ever done. It’s tired, plodding and overdrawn.

It should’ve been a 90 second interlude AT BEST.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.