Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by eddy2375, May 8, 2020.

1. 6.7 score from Pitchfork:

2. RJF

RJF

Yeah, the album's boring. It desperately needed a few moments where the vibe switched up a little.

D.Jay likes this.
  3. She's an incredible songwriter, but it's music I'd have in the background while I'm working.

4. Not Pitchfork going 'where the bops doe'. Rude.
    I like the album's flow, it's a lovely modern soul album.

Bluish what a song.

sesita, tea, nooniebao and 2 others like this.
  5. And now For Violet is suddenly my favourite song of 2021.

nooniebao and godspeed like this.
  6. It’s a grower, at first listens everything sounds the same. But I’m really liking it now, it’s a nice vibe. The lyrics and references are great.

7. It 'sounds the same' because it's cohesive and a true body of work, songs written by the same 2-3 people over a couple of months with an album in mind. This is a good problem to have.

ItBeats, sesita, tea and 3 others like this.
  8. Yes that’s exactly how I feel after three listens. It’s very cohesive.

tea, Vasilios and Trouble in Paradise like this.
  9. Shame she didn’t add Cola anywhere as that is her best song, but I’ll live. I adore her voice and the album is very pleasant, I can tell it’ll be a grower.

10. It's nice, but it's absolutely the wrong vibe for a cold, wet, miserable day in February. Bring on summer!

11. Nñ maybe that’s why I’ve been listening all day, we had the biggest sunshine (seriously I could not nap because it kept getting sunnier and sunnier) and it was the perfect album to play.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  12. The weather is shit over here and this album still sounds glorious to these ears, so I don't know.

13. Yeah I’m actually finding it to be the perfect warm hug in those dreadful winter. I also think she is such a brilliant lyricist that even if songs are sonically similar they paint such a different picture. This may be full on faggotry but i take this in more as art and that just as many painters have a distinct style there are moods and motifs that change between each piece. And my more levelheaded side knows this is her debut and she’s only 20! I think particularly if she grows her voice more, we’re in for an incredible career

Sail On, tea, godspeed and 2 others like this.
  14. She’s TWENTY?

ItBeats, tea, 2014 and 3 others like this.
  15. Yes, she is 20 years old. Born on 9 August 2000, according to Wikipedia.

I have listened to the album some times throughout the last couple of days. I appreciate warm quality of the over all sound. The genre of the album is not one that I listen to a lot so I find myself surprised by details here and there. The song "Eugene" stands out every time I listen to it.

tea, nooniebao and Vasilios like this.
  16. This is a perfect companion piece to Clairo's 'Immunity' in terms of lyrical depth, atmosphere, tone, introverted examination etc.

Bugger me pleased when I see Claire's actually contributed to a couple of the tracks.

I got a ticket to see her at a nightclub down the road from me in August. Who knows, I might actually get to see her!

Ddddd, she was born the month you flounced out the closet

sesita, tea, 2014 and 5 others like this.
  17. All this information, yas.

tea, nooniebao, frkeske and 1 other person like this.
  18. This is great? I'm surprised by the somewhat mixed reception across the board; it's a lush, understated album and I think overall it plays to its strengths enough to lift it out of homogeneity. It may start a touch slow but Caroline-Black Dog-Green Eyes is a hell of a trio.

tea, nooniebao, frkeske and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.