Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by eddy2375, May 8, 2020.

1. Yes! Truly a flawless run! Yes, I am a depressed homosexual

nooniebao, tea and Jonathan27 like this.
  2. I'm a Fore Violet / Eugene / Bluish trio gal myself.

Sail On, nooniebao and TRAVVV like this.
  3. tea

tea

Wow this album is perfect.

4. "Black Dog" was one of my favorite songs from last year. I know this sounds cheesy as hell but it feels like a warm hug from a loved one, something we've definitely been deprived of this past year. It's so delicate and simply perfect, really. Also "Bluish" was the immediate stand-out for me on the album and I've been playing it a lot since it came out. The old school flute sample and "beep beep" sound that could be so annoying but instead really adds flavor to the production... urgh, it's so good!

Diet Pop!, nooniebao, tea and 3 others like this.
  5. B L U I S H though, oh my God, it just suddenly revealed its prettiness to me

sesita, Diet Pop!, godspeed and 2 others like this.
  6. This album is brilliant. Been listening pretty much non-stop alongside her other tracks.

tea, nooniebao and Vasilios like this.

7. Eugene is still so stunning. If there’s any pre-release track that deserves a second wind, it’s that.

ItBeats, BrokenHearts, sesita and 7 others like this.
  8. tea

tea

To add to this, the album for me encapsulates the melancholic haze that was this last summer: the beautiful weather taunting everyone while they stayed inside; 3 months into a lockdown that government said would only last several weeks, with no end in sight; the juxtaposition between physically staying put and mental unrest - wandering through a loop of romanticized memories and dreaming and dreading what the future holds.

Take "Let's go to the corner store and buy some fruit, I would do anything to get you out your room" from "Black Dog" which would normally be a mundane lyric but is loaded with emotion given our current circumstances.

Despite the hazy atmosphere throughout, I actually thought the album did a good job staying cohesive with enough subtle differences to stop it from blurring together. The lyrics are really what differentiates the songs from each other though.

I've had this on repeat since first listen. Even more incredible that Arlo is only 20! Black Dog-Caroline-Eugene-Green Eyes are my faves.

9. My bundle only got shipped yesterday after ordering a week ago! So I decided to order the Amazon exclusive for £5. Can't wait to hear it.

She's performing on The Graham Norton Show next Friday, great promo!

Txetxu and Vasilios like this.
  10. I'm loving this album too, just the other day I was telling my friends how it's hitting the same spots Clairo's 'Immunity' did @ManilaChinchilla. It's gorgeous (and I need to drive with it playing!).

nooniebao, godspeed, tea and 3 others like this.
  11. Lovely performance of “Caroline” on Graham Norton tonight. Her tone is just sublime!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    tea, 4Roses, 2014 and 2 others like this.
  12. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I am really enjoying this record - she has one of my favourite voices right now, gorgeous!

ItBeats, tea, nooniebao and 4 others like this.
  13. I stopped listening because I overplayed it and want to save some plays for when the vinyl arrives. Already inside my 2021 tops for sure.

tea, nooniebao, maikos87 and 2 others like this.
  14. I was closer to thinking this was a little samey initially but on repeat listens it's really opening up to me.

The two tracks we've had since early last year ('Black Dog', 'Eugene') remain my favourites but it's a really strong record that I'll imagine I'll love in its entirety before too long.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Vasilios likes this.
  15. This is such a bewitching record. A real grower.

frkeske likes this.
  16. I have been thinking about how excited I am about her career and how much I love this album. As someone who is all about lyrics, this album is a dream! I’ve realized her vocals give me Corinne Bailey Rae vibes in the best way! There’s something so special about having a young queer black woman who is making Art without compromise

Runawaywithme, tea, nooniebao and 5 others like this.
  17. I listened to this on a sunny walk around my village today, I'm loving it! It's giving me a more vibey Frank-era Amy, which is a very high compliment. I love her writing so much, I'm going to order the vinyl to support her.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    frkeske, 4Roses, nooniebao and 2 others like this.
  18. James Corden performance:

sesita, tea, 2014 and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.