Artists with Average Albums but Amazing Greatest Hits | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Artists with Average Albums but Amazing Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by bonnieetclyde, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Definitely better than the 60's attempts but they're still pretty patchy. My favourite is the much reviled Produced and Arranged by Jimmy Webb.

2. That album is extremely underrated, and worth it for their version of "All I Want" alone.

torontodj and Baby Clyde like this.
  3. Yeah, the Jimmy Webb album is really strong. I love the Jean Terrell-led albums, and I think that Where Did Our Love Go is a solid listen.

fancygreen and Holly Something like this.
  4. I always think Shakira would have an amazing greatest hits.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  5. Surely Olly Murs fits this thread to a tee? I quite enjoyed a lot of the original material on the Greatest Hits 2CD having said that.

6. Olly Murs???

In order to have an Amazing Greatest Hits surely you'd need to have at least one amazing individual hit first.

AbSynth likes this.
  7. Heart skips a beat is pretty amazing though? He's had loads of pretty decent if hardly earth shattering songs. I'd say he's the equivalent solo version of 5ive.

Talking of whom, also fit the brief.

8. I still enjoy Dear Darling when it pops on the radio.

The 1975 don't have a greatest hits and actually don't really have many 'hits', but, they've become a singles band to me now, because the last 2 albums were basically just padded out with dull experimental instrumentals, their second album is still great though.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  9. I'm surprised by some of these modern big artists who have been around for a while yet haven't had a Greatest Hits. I guess times are different now. Having said that, Greatest Hitses do still sell in one way or the other judging by all the old ones currently in the top 75!

idratherjack and DiscoIgor07 like this.
  10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Five and the Wanted definitely fall into the ‘great singles, no real desire to dive into their albums’ category for me (I think I’ve heard it each of them, just nothing that left an impression)

Dance acts like 2 Unlimited and 2 Brothers On The 4th Floor too

11. I guess Cheryl would have a solid greatest hits.

12. Years since I've listened to the Five Greatest hits, but must admit, it was great-back to back bops.

Mvnl likes this.
  13. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yeah most boybands aren't acts where I seek out the full album but the Greatest Hits has all the bops.
    The Blue one's decent too.
    Backstreet Boys' as well but I want to give their albums just a little more credit for the occasional great album track

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  14. Much prefer boybands with the bops than ballad overload.

15. Fantastic Greatest Hits this. The split theme of ballads and bops, is always a good concept.

idratherjack likes this.
  16. Hits albums seem to be quite big this year. I guess because if people tour next year they want people to go. And doing a hits tour is a good way to pull in the casuals.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  17. I think in the streaming age, Greatest Hits albums are somehow even more popular than they have been for a long while.

18. The Beautiful South
    East 17
    Lightning Seeds
    M People
    Eternal (and Louise, too)
    The Cars
    UB40
    The Police (much as I love Synchronicity)

AcerBenII and Mvnl like this.
  19. Tried to give a couple of M People's studio albums a go, but they were not very good must admit. The Best of from 1998 on the other hand. What an solid run of singles.

Holly Something and Eric Generic like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.