"ARTPOP" - Lists, Charts, Ratings & Reviews | The Popjustice Forum

"ARTPOP" - Lists, Charts, Ratings & Reviews

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mushroom, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Well, we had one for 'Born This Way'... Same concept of course; a thread for your rankings, your individual song comments, your overall album ratings, 'ARTPOP' amongst her album rankings, splitting the album into your chosen sub-categories, your "Holy trinity" of the album, your "new and improved" album tracklists and any comments you wish to throw in along the way.

2. RJF

RJF

This extremely subject to change.

1. G.U.Y
    2. Venus
    3. Sexxx Dreams
    4. Gypsy
    5. Applause
    6. Swine
    7. Do What U Want
    8. ARTPOP
    9. MANiCURE
    10. Aura
    11. Mary Jane Holland
    12. Jewels & Drugs
    13. Donatella
    14. Fashion!
    15. Dope

3. rdp

rdp

The Holy Trinity
    Do What U Want
    Sexxx Dreams
    ARTPOP

Amazing
    MANiCURE
    G.U.Y
    Venus
    Gypsy
    Mary Jane Holland
    Aura

Okay
    Jewels N' Drugs
    Applause
    Fashion!

The Unholy Trinity/Satan's Shower Playlist
    Swine
    Donatella
    Dope

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  4. I've listened about 3 times through and will do X/10's:

07 Aura (chorus lets it down - otherwise brilliant)
    08 Venus
    06 G.U.Y.
    08 Sexxx Dreams
    01 Jewels & Drugs (already deleted from iTunes - totally unnecessary)
    07 Manicure
    09 Do What U Want
    10 Artpop (Incredible. This is everything this album should have been)
    06 Swine
    03 Donatella (a bit embarrassing coming from one of the worlds biggest pop stars)
    05 Fashion!
    04 Mary Jane Holland (sort-of good but just a right old racket for the most part)
    08 Dope
    17 Gypsy (OH MY GOD. Up there with her best, absolutely. Amazing.)
    10 Applause

Top 5 right now

1. GYPSY
    2. Artpop
    3. Applause
    4. Do What U Want
    5. Venus

5. Flockheart

Flockheart Guest

ARTPOP by Flockheart

ARTPOP I (10/10/13)
    Applause
    Sexxx Dreams
    Aura
    Hair
    G.U.Y.
    Mary Jane Holland
    Do What U Want

Single I: Applause (October)
    B-Side: Dope

ARTPOP II (11/11/13)
    Venus
    Fashion!
    Donatella
    Gypsy
    MANiCURE
    Swine
    ARTPOP

Single II: Gypsy (November)
    B-Side: Jewels & Drugs

ARTPOP III (December)
    Brooklyn Nights
    Tea
    Stache
    Ratchet
    Temple
    Red Flame
    Princess Die

Single III: Princess Die (December/January)
    B-Side: Cake Like Lady Gaga

6. 1. Aura
    2. G.U.Y.
    3. Do What U Want
    4. Sexxx Dreams
    5. Venus
    6. MANiCURE
    7. Artpop
    8. Swine
    9. Princess Die
    10. Fashion!
    11. Jewels N' Drugs
    12. Mary Jane Holland
    13. Dope
    14. Gypsy
    15. Applause

7. Okay, incredibly subject to change. I was gonna post this all in the ARTPOP thread yesterday but might as well do it here....

1. Gypsy- 10/10- FUCKING OH MY GOD. Every time I hear that TONNIIIGGGHHHHTTTT, my heart beats a little bit faster. My fists pump uncontrollably. I scream like a child with no attention span forced to do algebra. I can FEEL the aura of each and every basic pop bint crumble and disintegrate knowing they will never ever ever do anything close to being 1/10th of this magnificence. That song moves me. Gives me tremors in earthquake-prone places. It's the Queen to Bad Romance's King.

2. G.U.Y- 10/10- whenever anyone cries and eulogises and mourns this supposed passing of Commercial-Ga, I am sticking this solidly in their face. The middle-8 is life-altering. The entire chorus and the lead-up are seismic.

3. Venus- 10/10- another Gaga classic. The mental lyrics, the ridiculous middle 8 and the mega-feminine theme; it's like using a Max Repel on all heterosexuality. It's like the general public is Zubat and we're the agitated trainer. But it's all tied together by that oh my GOD chorus. And the "GOOOODESSS OF LOOOOVE" takes me to all the way to the lectern of the most gospel of churches.

4. Do What U Want- 10/10- UrbanGa is amazing. I've known this since The Fame. I still get annoyed that only stans know about Out of Control and Reloaded and that they're not #1 singles worldwide. This is just, like, perfect. I hate collabs unless they're with Nicki Minaj or Rihanna. But even R Kelly is kinda on it like Gromit. It's all so well-crafted and so slick and it just works on every level. Accessible on the ground floor yet the lyrics have so many layers and approaches to them.

5. Mary Jane Holland- 10/10- Madeon is so good. I knew whatever he was going to put on Gaga's album was gonna be extraordinary. The production starts off like some Hybrid Theory-era Linkin Park and it just gets even more brilliant from there. The lyrics are barmy; just like I love. But again, like Venus, it's all tied together by some insane chorus. And that bridge is something else.

6. Applause- 10/10- At this point in the era, it usually gets cool to kinda stack the lead single somewhere in lower quartiles of the album. But no no no. This is still as ear-rippingly good as the first time I heard it. The first time I heard Applause, I was on the toilet at work. BEST PEE EVER. And the chorus is still mega mega mega amazing.

7. Sexxx Dreams- 9/10- the iTunes festival came out with one clear winner. This. We all thought it some revolutionary future #1. It's actually came kinda close. But I'm sorry, she mangled the chorus a little with the "you were in my..." bit. And then the middle 8 is a little stodgy. Other than that though...Christ it's good.

8. ARTPOP- 8.5/10- I was way too negative Nancy on this one at the iTunes fest. I thought it was some boring, dull filler that only the forum snobs would love. I consider "minimalism" a euphemism for boring shit. But I'm kinda wrong? It's a decent relief from the out and out madness and chaos of every mega-chorus that's everywhere else. I mean, I love a mega-chorus (god, look at the stan meltdown of the last 7 above), but at least this shows Stefani can do mid-tempo without being a boring sod- (ref: pretty much every other girl in the game). "The colour palette you choose can profit you" - I love that line. Pretension done right.

9. MAN-CURE 8/10- I only want to ever refer to it as MAN-CURE. The "i" does not need to be there. The verses are a bit stodgy and autotune-y. But I love the updated chorus; it and ARTPOP are the only songs I feel have improved on record than they did live (RIP: Aura). She's managed to make that Riot Grrrl sound contemporary enough for this song to not feel weird next to all the mega-modern stuff on here.

10. Donatella- 7/10- oh my. It's...errr....different? It's alright? I don't really like the verses, but I do like the chorus. "It's okay, you just had a salad today"....clanger. I get it, the song is supposed to be larger than life, but I dunno, Venus does a far better job of being camply extravagant. This is too literal.

11. Jewels n' Drugs- 6/10- I went rabid with glee when this aired at the iTunes fest. I was so shocked she'd done something so...edgy? It was the last thing I expected from her to have done something like this; especially how against collabos she's been since The Fame Monster. But it works. Definitely. Twista owns this song. T.I. and Too $hort are both forgettable however, and Stefani only comes out with one or two decent lines herself...I miss the "from across the pond!" line.

12. Swine- 5/10- Eh. I loved this at the Fest but here it's so...squidgy? All the emotion and pain I felt through the lyrics at the Fest has been replaced by over-production.

13. Aura- 3/10- I'm so annoyed at how this one has turned out. The verses are just abysmal on record. She sounds like she's dying. In a bad way. The entire song sounds like it was recorded on a shit £8 Yamaha thing from 1997. I do however still dig the "Do you wanna see me naked, lover?" bit.

14. Dope- 2/10- Ugh. Horrid. She just cannot do ballads. I feel no sense of tenderness. It's like she's recorded this one drunk. It rambles on. It's like she's taken that dreadful over-singing we hate her for in the live arena and put it on record. "I need you more than Dope" is too literal and obvious a line for Gaga, it's totally sub-par and she's a much better song-writer than that. I get that the whole song is supposed to have a rough, unfinished, unmastered edge- but she's way too abrasive and in-your-face as a performer; forcing the message through rather than letting the song speak on its own terms.

15. Fashion!- 1.5/10- I've listened to it over and over and over and I still can't remember how this song goes. It's so instantly forgettable. I was looking forward to the Guetta/Will.I.Am production more than most; I was hoping for some insane When Love Takes Over/Titanium 2.0 given Guetta's been on top-notch form as of late. But this is just shit. She sounds like Noel Fielding? The whole thing feels too slow and slimy and off-putting. This is one of those songs where I feel the theme or intended sound is forced through before you let the song take off organically by itself. It's like she went in thinking "I HAVE to have a funky-sounding one and I will work the song and lyrics around it". It's all so naff and lame. And the breakdown? Will.I.Am? Give me strength.

Overall: 8/10

8. RJF

RJF

Not mine and jinzo's lists more or less matching up. Is this real life?

9. 1. Venus
    2. Mary Jane Holland
    3. Aura (the chorus owns me though)
    4. Swine
    5. G.U.Y
    6. Gypsy/Sexxx Dreams
    7. Do What U Want
    8. Applause
    9. ARTPOP
    10. MANiCURE
    11. Jewels & Drugs
    12. Donatella
    13. Dope
    14. Fashion

I have a feeling Gypsy will rise and rise. Everything to number 9 is 7.5 or above.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  10. Sam

Sam

1. ARTPOP
    2. Dope
    3. Sexxx Dreams
    4. Donatella
    5. MANiCURE
    6. Applause
    7. G.U.Y.
    8. Gypsy
    9. Aura
    10. Do What U Want
    11. Mary Jane Holland
    12. Swine
    13. Venus
    14. Fashion!
    15. Jewels N' Drugs

11. Let's see:

Classic Gaga Staples

G.U.Y.
    Do What U Want
    Swine
    Gypsy

Excellent

Sexxx Dreams
    Manicure
    Donatella
    Mary Jane Holland

Very Good

Aura
    Jewels n Drugs
    Fashion!
    Applause

Solid

Venus
    Artpop

Possible Career Low

Dope

12. BEST
    Swine
    Sexxx Dreams
    Gypsy

Venus
    MANiCURE
    Donatella

G.U.Y
    Applause
    Fashion!

Artpop
    Do What U Want
    Mary Jane Holland
    Aura

Jewels n Drugs
    Dope
    BAD

13. LJB

LJB

God, Gypsy's shit. Shut up, all of you.

14. ART!!!!!!!!!!!

Venus
    G.U.Y.
    Donatella
    MANiCURE
    Mary Jane Holland
    Do What U Want

POP!!!!!!

Applause
    ARTPOP
    Sexxx Dreams
    Aura
    Fashion!

Hmm...

Gypsy
    Dope
    Jewels & Drugs
    Swine

15. INCREDIBLE

Aura
    G.U.Y
    Manicure
    Artpop
    Applause

PRETTY GOOD

Venus
    Do What U Want
    Donatella
    Fashion!
    Mary Jane Holland

OVERRATED

Sexxx Dreams
    Gypsy
    Swine

JUST NO

Jewels n' Drugs
    Dope

16. 1. Fashion!
    2. Sexxx Dreams
    3. G.U.Y
    4. Gypsy

5. Applause
    6. Donatella
    7. Mary Jane Holland
    8. Do What U Want
    9. MANiCURE
    10. ARTPOP
    11. Venus

12. Jewels N Drugs
    13. Aura
    14. Swine
    666. Dope

There is pretty much nothing separating the middle section though.

17. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

Current ranking:

01. Do What U Want
    02. Gypsy
    03. Venus
    04. G.U.Y.
    05. Applause
    06. Sexxx Dreams
    07. ARTPOP
    08. Jewels ‘n’ Drugs
    09. Swine
    10. Aura
    11. MANiCURE
    12. Donatella
    13. Mary Jane Holland
    14. Dope
    15. Fashion!

#1 and #2 change often because they're both so amazing and #14 and #15 change often because they're both so awful, but everything else seems good for now.

The first 10 tracks are 8 and above, the following three are good/acceptable (7, maybe 7.5) and the last two are poop.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  18. Best
    Gypsy
    G.U.Y.
    Do What U Want
    Applause
    Venus

Good
    Aura
    Sexxx Dreams
    Mary Jane Holland
    Donatella
    Swine

Nope
    Fashion!
    Jewels N' Drugs
    MANiCURE
    ARTPOP
    Dope

19. GOOD

Venus
    Sexxx Dreams
    Gypsy
    Artpop
    Do What U Want
    Fashion!
    Mary Jane Holland
    Applause
    G.U.Y.
    MANiCURE
    Swine
    Dope
    Aura
    Jewels N' Drugs
    Donatella

BAD

20. Here goes...

So..yeah.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.