Atomic Kitten | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

Atomic Kitten

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by MilkyBarKid, Jul 28, 2006.

1. To this day, I'll never understand Whole Again's success. If they were successful before, it would be marginally less baffling but considering they were close to being dropped, a bit of a non-entity and releasing a nice enough (but pretty beige) ballad, how it turned into a million seller, worldwide No.1, I'll never know.

I mean, is it really that good? Is there genius in the simplicity? Was it just the right amount of inoffensive to appeal to a wide range of people? I just don't get it.

2. I get the feeling that Someone Like Me was only released because it made a great goodbye single, and it was coupled with a remix of Right Now to make it a bit more sellable.

I would assume had the Ladies Night campaign progressed, we would have had different singles after the Ladies Night single.

Cradle 2005 was for charity, and released a year after the split. I don't think AK really had much to do with it, I wouldn't be surprised if the vocals were laid down during the Right Now campaign and a produced just mixed it up for a single release.

Anyone Who Had A Heart, was, in my opinion, fab and it's a shame it didn't have greater promotion and a proper release.

3. I think something that helped this song was it's timing, released in the weeks before Valentines day, I can only imagine that it must have struck a chord with lovers across the globe (been sick yet?).

They also flogged this song to death promotion wise, I remember seeing them perform this all the time, especially when it reached number 1, yet Follow Me, I don't think had nearly as many appearances.

4. That makes a bit more sense, I didn't remember any of that. I just remember seeing them perform it once, thinking "Well this is a bit boring, they've gone all rubbish" then seeing it on The Big Breakfast news that they were on track to be No.1 and I was floored.

5. YES.

6. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

They had a perfect run of singles (and b-sides) when Kerry was in the group. Once Jenny joined they lost much of their silly side and released a load of songs that sounded very similar production-wise to "Whole Again". They continued to make good, solid pop music, they just had a nasty habit of standing there shaking their hips as opposed to actually dancing. I remained a fan but it was never quite the same.

Apart from this song, which is fantastic.

I got the Essential Collection this week. It's a lot better than the usual Demon releases but with a few tweaks it could have been a definitive history of the group as a whole.

7. Just listening to their Greatest Hits and they really did have a strong run of singles. I forgot all about "Love Doesn't Have To Hurt". Jenny's lack of a voice always makes me smile as well. Never have I appreciated a lack of talent so much.

8. Yet on the live version of 'Live and Let Die', I think Jenny gives quite a strong vocal performance.

9. SO erm, they weren't that big were they? Strange. I always thought of them (back then) as the new Spice Girls, probably bigger than Sugababes and early Girls Aloud...

Whole Again and Eternal Flame slew me hard as a young teen.

10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Although they in no way feel as big to me, mainly because of a shorter carreer I suppose, I do think outside the UK they probably were bigger, or pretty equal to the Sugababes.

11. Atomic Kitten were probably the equivalent of the Saturdays in today's world. Successful, but holding out for their favourites to return. Big, but not quite big enough.

12. I think people dont think of them as being huge partly because of their timing. They were at their height between 2001-2003, when pop was at it's cheesiest and greatest.

The Spice Girls were much earlier and seen as the start of the Girl group revolution, Girls Aloud were starting out and indeed, reached their greater success when the 2000 pop sound was fading and girl groups diminishing, and Sugababes managed to survive, changing sound and members along the way.

Atomic Kitten had to compete with a lot of acts that were like themselves, both establised and new, so maybe weren't seen as standing out as much as the previously mentioned acts did.

13. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Really? I'd say from 2002 onwards the fun and cheese in pop actually started to disappear.

14. Possibly on a downturn, but definately still there.

My point is, Atomic Kitten were of there time, their music fitted with what was in the charts, just about every compilation album released then had a song of theirs on. As that music started to wear off, so did they.

15. Charley

Charley Staff Member

For their stuff pre-Whole Again I would agree that they were indeed just another bubblegum pop group, but I'd say they only really were at their peak when they ditched that bubblegum sound for Whole Again, Eternal Flame and the soundalikes that followed.

16. Watching their greatest hits DVD is quite interesting, just to work out where exactly they jumped the shark. I reckon it was If You Come To Me. There's only so many times you can recycle a backing track before it gets ridiculous.

17. By the way, their best song was of course "Bye Now", which wasn't even a single.

18. Bye Now is fantastic, such a lovely song, whichever version.

19. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yet it one of the finest songs with that backing track.

20. Interesting (this whole discussion). I was always aware of how uncool they were - really I don't think (even at it's commercial peak) cheesy fun pop is ever cool. But still..yeah. Interesting that comment someone made a while back that their manager said they barely broke even, I wonder if that's true...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.