Ava Max - Heaven & Hell | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Ava Max - Heaven & Hell

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by jamesmax, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyway, Ava’s single is cute. Rita played it on Beats 1 a few weeks ago.

Andy French and Island like this.
  2. This is a pretty hot take I must say. Never thought about it like that.

stuaw and spaceship like this.
  3. New song out at midnight with Vice and Jason Derulo.

4. This song is so bad, but its also not her song so I can let it slide. Get that exposure Ava

5. Ava's verse is fine, but that Jacinda Rülow song sounds like Can't Stop The Feeling mixed with a watered-down I Feel for You. Pass.

6. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

I mindlessly bop to Jason's songs all the time, but this is shit.

7. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

Her hair (wig?) is so cringe I can't take her seriously.

8. Don't do Natalie La Rose like that. She actually had a hit.

Island and Ferk like this.
  9. They're really wasting no time to make her look low-rent

10. Everything she’s done so far just comes across so...cheap. And while there’s not necessarily anything wrong with that...who doesn’t love a good cheap basic bop every now and then?...something about her oozes cynicism. Like, in say, Charli XCX’s hands, something like ‘Not Your Barbie Girl’ would work a lot better, since Charli is both a student of and a direct descendant of that kind of maximalist Pop and is absolutely reverential towards the source material. But in this girl’s hands it just comes across as pandering and tacky. And not the good kind of tacky.

I don’t know. There’s potential here. But so far I can’t shake the icky feeling she gives me.

11. Sweet But Psycho is a massive bop that I’ve playing on repeat for the last week.

I know it’s still early for her, but she seems to have no personality. The video for what has to be one of catchiest songs of the year was a total letdown. There’s a way to be cheap without looking cheap. And she didn’t really have a personality, which is a shame. I guess she can jump in and just become another faceless pop girl who has nothing to offer but the occasional catchy tune. I’m fine with that.

Edit: maybe personality isn’t the right word? Maybe energy would fit? Maybe both.

spaceship likes this.
  12. I think its the fact that she's doing in 2018 what Gaga was doing 10 years ago. It doesn't feel fresh or relevant. I do like the song though.

13. She actually kinda sounds great on Make Up dddd. Kinda want to download it and cut out Jason's part. This, My Way and some of her other stuff is more interesting sonically than the Gaga cosplay she's trying.

14. The lopsided hair eats at my OCD.

RMK and D_ni like this.
    Sophie likes this.
  16. Sweet but Psycho is a semi-bop. Everything else is kinda bad or meh.

17. We need the wig budget to increase.

18. She looks scarily like a 2008 Gaga refreshed into 2018. The physical resemblance is sort of weird.. but Sweet But Psycho does bop and I am interested in this launch.

stuaw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.